car engine oil extended change

Old March 4th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default car engine oil extended change

"Stuart Gray" <me@home> wrote in message

> My Volvo 740 did 230,000 miles without an oil or filter change. I
> eventually scrapped it because of rust. It had 120,000 on the clock when I
> bought it and was 15 years old. I was trying to see if I could kill it but
> it won. My other Volvos were much better treated, that one was a test bed
> ;-)

I forgot to add, I also took it to the rev limiter every time I was in
1st and 2nd gear.

--
Stuart

Old March 4th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

> My Volvo 740 did 230,000 miles without an oil or filter change. I
> eventually scrapped it because of rust. It had 120,000 on the clock when I
> bought it and was 15 years old. I was trying to see if I could kill it but
> it won. My other Volvos were much better treated, that one was a test bed
> ;-)

Heh - ISTR you mentioning that one actually. But had it previously had no
oil changes? Surely it had only done 110k without an oil change as far as
you were to know?

--
"Doctor Fox was on the panel and I asked him why we didn't even get
nominated, and he said 'because you're not very good'. <pause> At least I

Old March 4th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:18:42 -0000, "Stuart Gray" <me@home> wrote:

>"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
.. .

>> You'll have pea soup in the oil sump
>> eventually, or worse, gunk that will clog the minute oil galleries
>> that lube the piston bearings and piston pin ( I call it the pin...the
>> rod that the head pivots on ).
>>

>It's a ****ing gudgeon pin. ****ing Merkin.

a "****ing gudgeon pin"

nope, that doesn't come up in my dictionary search. try again.
Old March 5th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Rod Speed wrote:
>> reason not to do it.

> Yes there is, you're wasting your money. Few if any
> engines fail due to a lack of frequent enough oil changes.

Welfare boy already claimed you can go years without a change. Of
course we take his word over every car manufacturer.
Old March 5th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

William Souden > wrote:
>Rod Speed wrote:
>>> reason not to do it.

>> Yes there is, you're wasting your money. Few if any
>> engines fail due to a lack of frequent enough oil changes.

> Welfare boy already claimed you can go years without a change. Of
>course we take his word over every car manufacturer.

Sheesh, nobody changes oil any more. You just replace your engine every
3,000 miles and don't worry about it.
--scott

Old March 5th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Brian Elfert wrote:
> "Kev Dyson" > writes:
>

>> 100 - 130k miles over that time.
>> Never have them serviced, and just keep the fluids topped up.
>> Haven't 'lost' an engine yet. How many car breakdowns do you see by the side
>> of the road due to 'inadequate oil changes"?
>> Yea you might get a bit of extra wear, but hey, an engine will be scrapped
>> typically before its 150k mile birthday, well before its expiry date.

> My brother had a used car in the 1990s blow the engine at less than 60,000
> miles. Mechanic found all kinds of sludge and speculated the previous
> owner had changed the oil.

I don't see what the implication is here. Are you saying that changing the
oil causes sludge to build up?

- Logan
Old March 5th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Adrian wrote:
> ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

>> You can also save money by changing the oil yourself. It's not a
>> difficult job you just need a place to take the old oil. Wal-Mart
>> takes oil here. I suspect garages in the UK would take it.

> Probably not, unless you've got a good relationship with 'em - as they have
> to pay to have their waste oil tanks emptied.

In the US, many auto parts stores will take your used oil for free. I'm
not sure if they have to pay to have their waste oil taken away (it seems
like it could be recycled and might have value), but I am fairly sure of
the reason the stores choose to do it: it's a way of getting you to come
visit the store. While you're there, there's a good chance you might decide
to buy something. Or if not, at least you have better odds of remembering
their store next time you need to buy something.

- Logan
Old March 5th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 17:49:39 GMT, Charles Quinn

:

>> Hi, My car (toyota petrol 1.3) does a smallish mileage in a year say
>> around 5000 miles, mainly
>> on fairly short distances around town. what would be the 'time' limit
>> to reasonably extend oil changes for economy reasons using a semi
>> synthetic oil ?
>>
>> I suspect a lot of people will immediately say don't economize in this
>> way. However some forty years ago I had a conversation with a
>> professor of an engineering college and he said engine oil does not
>> degrade 'time wise' as fast as most people think ( and importantly as
>> the oil companies would wish us to
>> believe). So by how much time could one reasonably delay an oil
>> change with modern oils?

>FACTS
>http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Oi...ge%20Intervals
>
>Depends if your low mileage is considered severe service, see above. Best
>way is to have an oil analysis done.
>
>It would probably be cheaper to just do an oil change annually if your
>use is not severe.

Facts? Not exactly. More like assumptions and conjecture with a few
"Click and Clack" quotes thrown in.

This site is one man's opinion. Why he had to throw in a reference to U.S.
presidential politics into a discussion on gasoline engine lubrication is
curious.

Follow your owner's manual and sleep well.
--

Dave in Columbus
Old March 5th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 04 Mar 2006 22:33:53 GMT, Adrian > wrote:

> ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

>>>Dunno about "free"... They're paid for out of our local taxes.

>> Yes of course they are but because of that you don't have assholes
>> dumping their garbage in the country side to avoid having to pay to
>> dump it.

><hollow laughter>
>How much you betting on that?
>
>A couple of years back, I went to a shot-blasters on a local farm business-
>unit site. Drove up the lane. Dropped off the stuff. Very brief chat. Drove
>out. Ooops. Can't. Lane's blocked. Completely. No way round. Some ****'s
>just fly-tipped COMPLETELY blocking the lane - in the FIVE MINUTES since I
>drove up there!
>
>I swear some of the scrotes out there actually put more effort into fly-
>tipping than it would take to get shot of it legitimately.

Translation please?

('merican here)
--

Dave in Columbus
Old March 5th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Logan Shaw wrote:
> Brian Elfert wrote:
>> My brother had a used car in the 1990s blow the engine at less than
>> 60,000 miles. Mechanic found all kinds of sludge and speculated the
>> previous owner had changed the oil.

> I don't see what the implication is here. Are you saying that changing the
> oil causes sludge to build up?

I think the text was meant to read "the previous own had <never> changed
the oil."

Anthony