car engine oil extended change

Old March 4th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default car engine oil extended change

In article
. 170>,
Adrian > wrote:

> Lawrence Glickman ) gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying :
>
> > The O.P. has a 1.8 Liter? That's a little larger than a lawnmower
> > engine where I live.

> Here in the rest of the world, it's towards the upper end of normal.
> It's three times the size of the engine in most of my cars/vans.
>
> 'merkins. Bless 'em.

Motorcycle engine...
Old March 4th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Neil Nelson" > wrote in message
> In article
> . 170>,
> Adrian > wrote:
>
>> Lawrence Glickman ) gurgled happily,
>> sounding much like they were saying :
>>
>> > The O.P. has a 1.8 Liter? That's a little larger than a lawnmower
>> > engine where I live.

>> Here in the rest of the world, it's towards the upper end of normal.
>> It's three times the size of the engine in most of my cars/vans.
>>
>> 'merkins. Bless 'em.

> Motorcycle engine...

?!?

What is ? Or are you accusing someone of being one ?!?

Old March 4th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:26:13 GMT, Neil Nelson >
wrote:

>In article
.170>,
> Adrian > wrote:
>
>> Lawrence Glickman ) gurgled happily,
>> sounding much like they were saying :
>>
>> > The O.P. has a 1.8 Liter? That's a little larger than a lawnmower
>> > engine where I live.

>> Here in the rest of the world, it's towards the upper end of normal.
>> It's three times the size of the engine in most of my cars/vans.
>>
>> 'merkins. Bless 'em.

>Motorcycle engine...

Indeed, I was trying to be polite. Think MoPed
Old March 4th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article >,
"Tony Bond \(UncleFista\)" > wrote:

> "Neil Nelson" > wrote in message
> > In article
> > . 170>,
> > Adrian > wrote:
> >
> >> Lawrence Glickman ) gurgled happily,
> >> sounding much like they were saying :

> >> Here in the rest of the world, it's towards the upper end of normal.
> >> It's three times the size of the engine in most of my cars/vans.
> >>
> >> 'merkins. Bless 'em.

> > Motorcycle engine...

> ?!?
>
> What is ? Or are you accusing someone of being one ?!?

Sorry...
What you all consider normal (or the upper end of normal) is
about the size of a motorcycle engine in these parts.
Old March 4th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> Hi, My car (toyota petrol 1.3) does a smallish mileage in a year say
> around 5000 miles, mainly
> on fairly short distances around town. what would be the 'time' limit to
> reasonably extend oil changes for economy reasons using a semi synthetic

oil
> ?
>
> I suspect a lot of people will immediately say don't economize in this

way.
> However some forty years ago I had a conversation with a professor of an
> engineering college and he said engine oil does not degrade 'time wise' as
> fast as most people think ( and importantly as the oil companies would

wish
> us to
> believe). So by how much time could one reasonably delay an oil change

with
> modern oils?

Forty years ago, it was common practice to drain the engine coolant at the
end of winter and replace it with plain water - that was in the days before
most cars had air conditioning. I wouldn't rely on a 40 year old memory -
maybe you should talk to a professor familiar with the current situation.

Old March 4th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

> Why spend money keeping the engine in tip top condition just so that
> when the car fails an mot on lots of small but expensive faults and is
> uneconomical to repair it goes to the scrappie with a good engine. I
> think the sensible thing to do is save a bit of money and try and get
> the engine to be as tired as the rest of the car when it is scraped.

But that ends up costing you more, and contributing to the even earlier
death of the car, due to the increased fuel consumption and emissions-
related MOT fail.
Old March 4th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Adrian > wrote
> ) wrote

>> Why spend money keeping the engine in tip top condition
>> just so that when the car fails an mot on lots of small but
>> expensive faults and is uneconomical to repair it goes to
>> the scrappie with a good engine. I think the sensible thing
>> to do is save a bit of money and try and get the engine to
>> be as tired as the rest of the car when it is scraped.

> But that ends up costing you more,

No it doesnt.

> and contributing to the even earlier death of the car,

No it doesnt.

> due to the increased fuel consumption

Doesnt happen with few oil changes.

> and emissions- related MOT fail.

Doesnt happen either.

Old March 4th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

> On 3/4/2006 12:27 PM ... Tony Bond (UncleFista) wrote:
> "Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
>> Your problem has to do with oil contamination not mileage or
>> oxidation. If you don't get the oil up to engine temp ( somewhat over
>> the boiling point of water for the oil, but I've never measured it ),
>> condensates will accumulate in the oil. Gasoline, water vapor, who
>> knows what from crankcase fumes. Pretty soon, if you never let your
>> engine run long enough to boil off these volatile condensates, you've
>> got acidic crap pumping through your engine that is going to dilute
>> the lubricity and other wear-resistant characteristics of the oil,
>> which will lead to early engine death.
>>
>> So you have to change your oil just as often as anyone else, but for
>> the contamination reason. You'll have pea soup in the oil sump
>> eventually, or worse, gunk that will clog the minute oil galleries
>> that lube the piston bearings and piston pin ( I call it the pin...the
>> rod that the head pivots on ).
>>
>> Say at least every 6 months, every 4 months would be better.

> Yank Alert.
>
> Recommending an oil change on a honda every 1700 miles is ludicrous, try not
> to post in Merkin groups...

Fresh oil every 6 months is very cheap and easy "insurance". There is
no reason not to do it.
Old March 4th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

>>However, most council tips do have waste oil tanks that are free to
>>use.

> Oh that's right you get free garbage service in the UK.

Dunno about "free"... They're paid for out of our local taxes.
Old March 4th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

It's a ****ing gudgeon pin. ****ing Merkin.

--
Stuart