GPL musings

Old March 25th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Default GPL musings

I've recently been trying to lower my times on various tracks and obtain
different new ones. These observations strike me from the experience: I
*like* the old Mexico GP circuit. Moreso than even Le Mans Sarthe - my
third favorite after "The Green Hell". Albert Park needs work - to put it
mildly.

About the second last: On the Karussel staying in the cement beyond 55mph
seems quite impossible for me. Is this as it should be or am I missing
something? This is true both in GPL and Viper Racing - a *much* easier
drive as it has ABS and traction control.

I have yet to try any of the other seasons. I'm surprised that none of the
newer F1 tracks seem to be there. Not disappointed mind you, just
surprised.
Old March 29th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Simpson

On Mar 24, 11:57*pm, APLer > wrote:
> On the Karussel staying in the cement beyond 55mph
> seems quite impossible for me. Is this as it should be or am I missing
> something? This is true both in GPL and Viper Racing - a *much* easier
> drive as it has ABS and traction control.

This seems to be normal. I never understood why they made that little
banking so narrow. If you're going to let drivers have a banked
corner, make it at least two cars wide. But that's just the way that
it is (since what year, I wonder?). The story goes that originally it
was just a drainage ditch that drivers put one wheel in to go faster.
If you look at one of the World Record replays at GPLRank, the fastest
guys are only going about 53 mph there.

> I have yet to try any of the other seasons. I'm surprised that none of the
> newer F1 tracks seem to be there. Not disappointed mind you, just
> surprised.

Where? At the GPL Track Database? Old cars that drift a lot and new
tracks with many chicanes don't mix well, I think. The scourge of
chicanes came about as a safety factor because the cars just got
faster and faster. In the late 60s, the drivers were hugely brave (or
stupid) to race the way that they did. 1967, with the engine going to
over 400 hp and the tires improving, was the start of really dangerous
speeds.