How Many Miles On Yours?

Old November 4th 04, 09:48 PM
fog-dog

Default How Many Miles On Yours?

Ulysses wrote:
> I was just looking at an Explorer web site and they seemed to think that
> 170K was a very high mileage Explorer. I'm just curious about how many
> miles other folks here have on theirs. M '91 XLT has about 195K on it and
> it still runs great, passes the smog test, and still looks good. My '92 EB
> (wife's car) has 265K on it. It still looks nice. Some of the buttons
> don't work right but the leather still looks great. At the moment it is
> leaking coolant from the side of the engine and has a wierd rattle. I'm
> getting ready to try to find if the leak is a head gasket or a cracked
> engine or whatever. It may be time for a new/rebuilt engine. But other
> than that it made it to 265K! One way or another it will probably be
> running again soon.

First post to this newsgroup. I got a '97 V6 SOHC 4x4 with 222k, I
basically love my explorer. It is the first real car I have owned and I
treat it nice. Interior has a couple burn marks on back bench other
than that the interior is great. Six disc cd changer is still rockin'.
Old November 9th 04, 08:16 PM
MikePier

> First post to this newsgroup. I got a '97 V6 SOHC 4x4 with 222k, I
> basically love my explorer. It is the first real car I have owned and I
> treat it nice. Interior has a couple burn marks on back bench other
> than that the interior is great. Six disc cd changer is still rockin'.

Damn, that is sure an inspiration for anyone with an SOHC.
My 99 XLT SOHC has only 34,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new, and
it still looks new today. Only problem was the spark pack went bad at
19K, other than that, no problems.
Old November 10th 04, 02:16 AM
Ulysses

Good point. Some of that stuff they sell seems to cause some kinds of
plastics to deteriorate.

Brake cleaner eh? I've been doing my own brakes for about 35 years and I've
never used brake cleaner. Of course I never stop anywhere. Good stuff?

news5ecd.2704$lp6.1026@okepread01...

Old November 17th 04, 10:35 PM
Richard Ray

Great stuff, that brake cleaner. It keeps the dust down, and also works
on getting grease off of places where it should not be. It has a straw
attachment on the nozzle so the cleaner can go right where you want it
to go.

Old December 1st 04, 03:47 PM
Ted

95 EB. 114,500 Runs great except for the knocking at idle. A little
rust on inside door bottoms and under liftgate. Wheels look amazing
for their age and care (16" polished alum)

Relatively problem free. Original battery (10 friggin years old
soon).
Tow a jetski, and 20' boat occasionally (15 times a summer for about 5
miles one way.) Synthetic oil and 3 trans fluid changes (2 with Mobil
1 Synth ATF), rear diff with Mobil 1 75W90. Coolant flushed twice.

Replaced: lower driver ball joint, lower passenger ball joint (1 year
ago), upper ball joint passenger side (3 years ago) resoldered Lamp
out module recently to fix headlights, replaced the dpfe sensor that
opens the egr valve(twice), replaced coolant control valve (regulates
the auto climate control), sway bar link (but paid back by ford),
replaced relay to fix power window problem, towing harness plug and
wire, driver side seat belt buckle (female end w/ button), 6 cd
changer, many hose clamps around exhaust shields, belt tensioner and
belt. Never been to dealer for repair. Most work done by me except
that darn rear emergency brake crap (lots of brake pads/rotors).
Never stranded anywhere, but quirky little problems. Would do it
again if I could.
LOTS OF HELP FROM THIS GROUP TOO!!!

Ted