2l Golf Oil usage

Old December 29th 04, 05:15 AM
Rob Guenther

A new car shouldn't burn oil tho!

It's always good to check it, but you shouldn't have to add unless it's
leaking or burning... and if it's burning then the oil is getting past the
rings and you might be damaging your catalytic converter or something.

Our 2003 Golf with 8000kms on it is burning oil too... we're considering a
new car because of this and other small problems.

Old December 29th 04, 06:15 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >, Peter Parker > wrote:
>Modern engines = 5W20 = thin oil rings = MPG = more engine wear = consumption.
>
>What happens if you use something like 10W40 or 14W40? Does it still
>consume?

The owner's manual oil recommendation for most recent VWs in the US is 5W-40.

Timothy J. Lee
Old December 29th 04, 06:15 PM
Timothy J. Lee

Old December 29th 04, 07:27 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Timothy J. Lee > wrote:
>In article >, Peter Parker > wrote:
>>Modern engines = 5W20 = thin oil rings = MPG = more engine wear = consumption.
>>
>>What happens if you use something like 10W40 or 14W40? Does it still
>>consume?

>The owner's manual oil recommendation for most recent VWs in the US is 5W-40.

The other OEMs have thin oil rings on their vehicles too so I was averaging
out.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 29th 04, 07:27 PM
Peter Parker

Old December 29th 04, 08:19 PM
Woodchuck

I never nee thrilled about 5w oil and only go at least 10w-something.

Old December 29th 04, 08:19 PM
Woodchuck

Old December 30th 04, 05:34 PM
Tony Bad

"Tony Bad" > wrote in message

> I haven't lost sleep over it, but not happy about it...and I'm disappointed at
> the way my dealer and VW addressed it when I brought it to their attention

when
> the car was almost new. I am wondering what they will have to say later this
> week because the oil consumption is worsening. I have never had to add a bit

of
> oil between changes in my 01 Eurovan, so telling me a quart every 1000 miles

is
> "normal for modern engines" is just a stupid thing for VW to tell people.

Went to dealer today with the 02 jetta, they topped off oil and filled out
papers and now I need to come back every 800 - 1000 miles to have them check and
add oil as needed. This is how they determine what consumption rate is.

We'll see what happens.

I have owned almost nothing but VW's since the 70's, so I wonder if this is a VW
thing, or an issue with all dealers...but I never leave the dealer with a good
feeling. Over the past 25+ years have had service at three different places in
NY, places in VA, MA, and MD...and all seemed to be similar in attitude. They
act as if I am bothering them. Often, they speak to me in a very condescending
manner. Like today, the guy looks on his computer and sees no record of oil
changes after the first few. Instead of asking where I was getting oil changed,
he asked if I had changed the oil in the last 30,000 miles. He also scolded me
for not indicating on phone when I made appointment that I planned to wait for
service to be completed. He made a big deal of telling me I would be put at the
"end of the wait list", despite the fact they clearly weren't busy (and had me
out the door in an hour). I can understand that they need to know who is waiting
ahead of time so they can prioritize things, but it was the way he said it.

I don't know...it just seems the whole process could be a lot better if the
service guys just had some better interpersonal skills.

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old December 30th 04, 05:34 PM
Tony Bad

Old December 30th 04, 06:35 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Tony Bad > wrote:
<old tony stuff snipped>

>Went to dealer today with the 02 jetta, they topped off oil and filled out
>papers and now I need to come back every 800 - 1000 miles to have them check and
>add oil as needed. This is how they determine what consumption rate is.

Oh how trusting of them.

>We'll see what happens.

Well it all depends on how much you oil you take out and how much they
add during those 800-1000 miles.

>I have owned almost nothing but VW's since the 70's, so I wonder if this is a VW
>thing, or an issue with all dealers...but I never leave the dealer with a good
>feeling. Over the past 25+ years have had service at three different places in
>NY, places in VA, MA, and MD...and all seemed to be similar in attitude. They
>act as if I am bothering them. Often, they speak to me in a very condescending
>manner. Like today, the guy looks on his computer and sees no record of oil
>changes after the first few. Instead of asking where I was getting oil changed,
>he asked if I had changed the oil in the last 30,000 miles. He also scolded me
>for not indicating on phone when I made appointment that I planned to wait for
>service to be completed. He made a big deal of telling me I would be put at the
>"end of the wait list", despite the fact they clearly weren't busy (and had me
>out the door in an hour). I can understand that they need to know who is waiting
>ahead of time so they can prioritize things, but it was the way he said it.

Too Bad. All a defense mechanism with that peticular individual. He needs
to go back to school and get some customer people skills or find another job.
His experience with previous customers and the service manager has been bad so
he takes it out on all customers.

>I don't know...it just seems the whole process could be a lot better if the
>service guys just had some better interpersonal skills.

I think it is the process. For example there is a Jeep dealer that I like
which uses a cube-style advisor process and there are about 7 cubes (advisors)
which you sit in with your advisor instead of standing in line. This is good
because it is private and works great.

The old traditional lines at the service counter really sucks IMHO. VW should
learn from this peticular DC dealership.

I personally think the old service counter line produce more stress on both
sides. You can really rip a new one into the advisor if they blatantly try
to pull a fast one and I have done this. Getting ripped of with new math
techniques and part cost combos is a master art for the dealer. They try to
itemize the cost of parts when in reality a peticular part combo is one price.
They can make 100s of extra that way. I was almost cheated out of $70 + tax
one time and I ripped a new one..

This is why I do all my own stuff now for the Vws, Jeep and the Honda (yuk).
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

Tools for changing front wheel bearings on golf 2 and 3's, anyone? Basil VW water cooled 1 November 2nd 04 10:57 PM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM