Audi 80 CV joint UK

Old June 1st 04, 07:18 PM
Oliver Gunnell

Default Audi 80 CV joint UK

Guys,
Roughly how much to have a cv joint replaced on a 1991 Audi 80 non
quattro

Thanks

Old June 1st 04, 10:28 PM
Chris

Parts from £30 to £45, labour from £25 to £70, some garages charge 1 hours,
others charges 2.

Now pick your mix.

~ Chris

Old June 1st 04, 11:49 PM
Steve68s

Its a very easy job to replace them, think the last one I got was about £45
in a kit with grease, gaiter, circlips etc, you will need too replace the
bolt through the wheel bearing too, this should come in the kit, they are
stretch bolts & can only be used once, think they need torquing to 160 lbs
or there abouts,

Steve,

Old June 2nd 04, 09:29 AM
Christoph Bollig

> Its a very easy job to replace them, think the last one I got was about £45
> in a kit with grease, gaiter, circlips etc, you will need too replace the
> bolt through the wheel bearing too, this should come in the kit, they are
> stretch bolts & can only be used once, think they need torquing to 160 lbs
> or there abouts,

Hi Steve,

What are "stretch bolts"?

I've had a few cv-joints done (Audi100 88 and 89) and I don't think
anyone ever worried about the bolts.

Christoph

--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.
Old June 3rd 04, 12:06 AM
The Al Bundy

"Christoph Bollig" > schreef in bericht
> > Its a very easy job to replace them, think the last one I got was about £45
> > in a kit with grease, gaiter, circlips etc, you will need too replace the
> > bolt through the wheel bearing too, this should come in the kit, they are
> > stretch bolts & can only be used once, think they need torquing to 160 lbs
> > or there abouts,

> Hi Steve,
>
> What are "stretch bolts"?
>
> I've had a few cv-joints done (Audi100 88 and 89) and I don't think
> anyone ever worried about the bolts.
>
> Christoph

I guess he means those self locking nuts which are a tiny bit oval. Is is better to replace those
(normally it comes with a kit) because you don't want that such gets loose . If not tight enough
or loose the wheelbearing can damage.

Al

Old June 3rd 04, 05:22 PM
Steve68s

Well the guy who sold me the kit said the bolts can only be used once, if
you buy OEM gaiter kits for the Audi 80 they come with the big bolts too
included, think they must be like the bolts used on some cylinder heads,
tip, to save bashing the cv joint with a hammer to get it off, after
withdrawing the cv joint from the hub put the bolt back into the joint &
tighten it up gently with a spanner or big Allen socket depending on type of
bolt, as its not in the hub now the bolt will go in further & as its
tightened up the cv joint will come off the shaft, on reassembly renew the
circlip,

Steve

Old June 4th 04, 09:55 PM
Chris

It all depends on which model, I asked the guy down GSF.

Bolt must be the one you can see from the whell hub, some types have not got
this bolt.

~Chris
"Steve68s" > wrote in message
> Well the guy who sold me the kit said the bolts can only be used once, if
> you buy OEM gaiter kits for the Audi 80 they come with the big bolts too
> included, think they must be like the bolts used on some cylinder heads,
> tip, to save bashing the cv joint with a hammer to get it off, after
> withdrawing the cv joint from the hub put the bolt back into the joint &
> tighten it up gently with a spanner or big Allen socket depending on type

of
> bolt, as its not in the hub now the bolt will go in further & as its
> tightened up the cv joint will come off the shaft, on reassembly renew the
> circlip,
>
> Steve
>

> "Christoph Bollig" > wrote in message
> > > Its a very easy job to replace them, think the last one I got was

about
> £45
> > > in a kit with grease, gaiter, circlips etc, you will need too replace

> the
> > > bolt through the wheel bearing too, this should come in the kit, they

> are
> > > stretch bolts & can only be used once, think they need torquing to 160

> lbs
> > > or there abouts,

> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > What are "stretch bolts"?
> >
> > I've had a few cv-joints done (Audi100 88 and 89) and I don't think
> > anyone ever worried about the bolts.
> >
> > Christoph
> >
> > --
> > Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
> > in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.
> > With most programs "Reply" should do the job.

Mitchell on demand 5.6 Estimator q1 2004, Alldata v8 AUDI CD, Jaguar CD, v8 Land Rover, v8 Mercedes, - new ! astra35 Audi 2 April 6th 08 07:06 AM
audi can bus Magne B. Audi 1 June 1st 04 08:08 PM
Audi 100 quattro temp gauge probs Paul Wickham Audi 1 May 31st 04 04:39 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM
audi information cd free Audi 0 May 22nd 04 12:35 AM