1st Ford I have owned - calling all 97 Exp Sport owners

Old July 18th 05, 08:36 PM
dottile

Default 1st Ford I have owned - calling all 97 Exp Sport owners

Just purchased a 97 Explorer Sport without an owner’s manual. Other
than getting in and pushing buttons for the cause and effect I am in
the dark.

What gas mileage do you guys get?

Anyone willing to share info on their favorite feature of this
vehicle?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict128895.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=628461
Old July 18th 05, 09:01 PM
C. E. White

"dottile" > wrote in message
news:1_628461_2c52616ca42465705ec6761f4c2f5b98@aut oforumz.com...
> Just purchased a 97 Explorer Sport without an owner's manual. Other
> than getting in and pushing buttons for the cause and effect I am in
> the dark.

For a copy of the manual try
https://web.msslib.dealerconnection....000c5880006783

or

http://tinyurl.com/cfdlv

Ed

Old July 19th 05, 12:58 AM
Searcher1

I have a 97 she's been great and now I'm about 10 miles from 100,000, the
gas mileage is still very good and she runs beautifully. We get about 19
city and 22 hwy. Roughly about 390 miles til the check gage light comes on.
I've replaced a few things on her such as a 4x4 sensor, a mass air flow and
a thermostat. other than normal routine maintenance thats all. She gets
driven all over the place from off road to hwy. Off road driving is about
twice a week to my favorite fishing hole. WE tow a pop up camper about three
times a month. Never gave me a lick of problem, goin up hills you can feel
the drag but she'll just keep on going. I really have no favortie feature of
the truck. I don't like the rattle on start ups but I have been told time
and time again that this is OK for the truck and nothing is wrong. I didn't
like the driving lights on the bottom cause they fill with water and the
reflectors worn off, so I just took them out. Don't really need them they
never did much! 4 wheel drive hasn't let me down even when towing the pop up
through the roughest terrain. (The pop up had to be raised 6 inches to
accomodate the terrain). If yours was maitained properly then you shouldn't
have problems, the first thing I did was to change the fluids all to
synthetic the oil to Mobile one. The air cleaner and oil filter to K&N. I
changed the pulgs to splitfires but that was a mistake went back to the
platinum that Ford recommends.
I think you'll enjoy the truck

Searcher1

Old July 19th 05, 06:59 AM
Searcher1

Ooops, Yes your right, mine is not the sport model, it is the XLT, but
nonetheless shes still a great truck, and not much different than the two
door sport. Yes my tank is a bit bigger at 22 gals. I did have the tensioner
replaced as per recall, but I still get a rattling noise, could be I should
take it back to the dealer to check the tensioner again? It wasn't too long
ago that I had it done bout 9 months or so. I was told many times that the
Ford Explorer sounds like that most of the time at high mileage. Which by
the way she turned it over on the way to my fishin hole, good luck all
around I guess, we had a great evening of cat fishin! Couple a monsters in
the fridge.

Searcher1