V8 and V12 mpg & BMW Ownership

Old February 2nd 05, 05:53 PM
Mark Jordan

Default V8 and V12 mpg & BMW Ownership

Hi,

I'm looking to move up to a V8 from my current Volvo T5 (240hp). I am
considering the following cars:

BMW 535i V8, 540i V8 (4.0) and 540i V8 (4.4)
BMW 740i V8 (4.0 & 4.4), 750i (V12)
Jaguar XJR 4.0 V8 Supercharged
Jaguar XJ8 4.0 V8
Mercedes S-Class V8

Although not overly concerned regarding miles per gallon, I am just
interested to see what you get on your BMW V8's (or V12's) in real
world driving. I am from the UK (hence the 535i being a V8). As a
basis for comparison I get 30mpg cruising and about 19mpg town out of
my 2.3 I5 Turbocharged T5.

Also, what is the BMW ownership experience like? Why did you buy your
V8 BMW and would you buy another?

Many thanks,

M.Jordan
Old February 2nd 05, 07:25 PM
GT

> Although not overly concerned regarding miles per gallon, I am just
> interested to see what you get on your BMW V8's (or V12's) in real
> world driving.

The fuel consumption for my 1997 535i is quite low for such a car
and averages 10.5 l/100 km (22.4 mpg).
On the other hand, maintenance and small repairs are expensive when the car
gets old.

--
Best regards.
Giovanni Tarantino

Old February 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
RS990

"Mark Jordan"
> Although not overly concerned regarding miles per gallon, I am just
> interested to see what you get on your BMW V8's (or V12's) in real
> world driving. I am from the UK (hence the 535i being a V8). As a
> basis for comparison I get 30mpg cruising and about 19mpg town out of
> my 2.3 I5 Turbocharged T5.

Since UK gallons are a bit larger than US gallons, you may need to work out
a few conversions, and at first appearance the numbers may look worse than
you expected.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:31 PM
The Franks

540 you will love super car to drive
m...

Old February 3rd 05, 01:11 AM
Dan Drake

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:37:11 -0000, "RS990" > wrote:

>Since UK gallons are a bit larger than US gallons, you may need to work out
>a few conversions, and at first appearance the numbers may look worse than
>you expected.

The US gallon is 80% of a UK gallon.
--
Dan Drake
Old February 3rd 05, 02:01 AM
Michael Low

I really enjoy my 4.4L 540i V8 with manual transmission. MPG not a
problem for me - currently it says 12.5L/100 km on onboard computer but
that is very long term number and mainly highway.

The 750i is a wonderful car at Autobahn speeds and everyday driving but
its true strength is at 200+ kph and you will likely never get that on
a daily basis where you live. It is like a locomotive on rails at 200+
kph. Very expensive to maintain though so perhaps if you're a salesman
or businessman with lots of Autobahn traveling then it may be a very
good fit. Anything else then it would be a bit of a luxury that only
makes sense if you don't mind low MPG and high maintenance costs.

I would definitely buy my 540i 6-speed E39 again in a flash. The Jags
are nice in their unique way but the 540i is just a bit more desirable.
The W220 S Klasse looks wonderful but is not as driver-oriented as the
BMWs are. I also feel the BMWs ride somewhat better. However, if
given a choice between the current 7er and a well-sorted current S
Klasse I would likely give the S Klasse a try for no other deciding
reason than to see how positive the experience proves to be. However,
it would not be because I think the S Klasse would drive better or is
cheaper to buy.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:56 AM
Alistair J Murray

Mark Jordan wrote:

[...]

> Also, what is the BMW ownership experience like? Why did you buy your
> V8 BMW and would you buy another?

I bought my 1994 740i E38 about 3 years ago because my '85 500SEL's
gearbox died. I like it a lot.

I get 20-22mpg(uk) driving quickly in the country mostly. If I don't
buy another I'll buy a 540, a W126 560SEC or an Audi S8 most likely.

Trade Oil in €