Code P1133 on 2000 Saturn SL

Old February 3rd 05, 12:15 AM
Edward Crismond

Default Code P1133 on 2000 Saturn SL

Hi, this is also posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I have a 2000 Saturn SL with a high idle problem and a constantly lit
'check engine light'. It only does the high idle intermitantly, when the
engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light, while in neutral, the RPM
may shoot up to 2000+. It will idle correctly, at around 800 RPM or so,
after shutting the engine off, then restarting it.

Since the 'check engine soon' light is on, I took it to Advance
Auto and had them do an OBDII scan on the PCM. The code returned was:

P1133
Manfacurer Contrl.
Fuel Air Metering

(those are not typos, that's what it spit out)

My Haynes manual doesn't say anything about P1133, but a Google
search for P1133 comes up with:

P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1

This short message thread, http://tinyurl.com/5zps9 talks about the
sensor and some of the conditions that may cause P1133 to be set.

Thanks in advance
Ed
Old February 3rd 05, 12:38 AM
Steve Mackie

Possible Causes of a P1133 on this vehicle (verbatum from ALLDATA):

An intermittent connection or corrosion in the O2S-1 harness connector can
set this DTC. Use scan tool to monitor O2S-1 voltage with engine running at
normal operating temperature while wiggling the signal and ground. Make sure
the sensor is tight.
The most probable cause for DTC P1133 is contamination. Check for obvious
contamitation (oil, fuel or engine coolant) by removing sensor. Identify and
correct the cause of the contamination if contaminated. Replace the O2S-1.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:04 AM
Edward Crismond

Steve Mackie wrote:
> Possible Causes of a P1133 on this vehicle (verbatum from ALLDATA):
>
> An intermittent connection or corrosion in the O2S-1 harness connector can
> set this DTC. Use scan tool to monitor O2S-1 voltage with engine running at
> normal operating temperature while wiggling the signal and ground. Make sure
> the sensor is tight.
> The most probable cause for DTC P1133 is contamination. Check for obvious
> contamitation (oil, fuel or engine coolant) by removing sensor. Identify and
> correct the cause of the contamination if contaminated. Replace the O2S-1.

Thanks Steve for your time and effort. I've entered this into my notes.

Ed
Old February 5th 05, 03:29 AM
Me

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:15:55 -0500, Edward Crismond
> wrote:

>Hi, this is also posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
>
>I have a 2000 Saturn SL with a high idle problem and a constantly lit=20
>'check engine light'. It only does the high idle intermitantly, when the=

=20
>engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light, while in neutral, the RPM=20
>may shoot up to 2000+. It will idle correctly, at around 800 RPM or so,=20
>after shutting the engine off, then restarting it.
>
>Since the 'check engine soon' light is on, I took it to Advance
>Auto and had them do an OBDII scan on the PCM. The code returned was:
>
> P1133
> Manfacurer Contrl.
> Fuel Air Metering

=46rom the FSM:

DTC P1133
The oxygen sensor 1 (O2S-1) is an electrical source that responds to
oxygen content in the exhaust manifold. When the sensor reaches
approximately 316=B0C (600=B0F), it produces a voltage based on the
difference in oxygen between the atmosphere and exhaust gas. The
powertrain control module (PCM) sends a bias voltage, 391-491 mV on the
signal line which is pulled up through high resistance. When the O2S-1
is cold, it produces no voltage and has extremely high internal
resistance. The internal resistance of the sensor is much greater than
the resistance of the bias pull-up resistor. However, when the sensor
heats up, it produces voltage that overrides the bias voltage. This
voltage is read by the PCM to determine a rich/lean O2S-1 signal used to
adjust injector pulse width. Under normal conditions, low sensor voltage
means high oxygen content/lean air-fuel mixture and vice versa. Normal
sensor readings will fluctuate between 10-999 mV. DTC P1133 sets when
the O2S-1 signal has too few switches over a certain length of time.

DTC Parameters
DTC P1133 will set if the O2S-1 signal has not switched greater than 10
times within a 100 second test when:

The engine speed is between 1,500-3,000 RPM.=20
The Loop status is closed.=20
The calculated air flow is greater than 7 gm/s.=20
No camshaft (CAM), crankshaft position (CKP), engine coolant temperature
(ECT), exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), evaporative emission (EVAP)
purge solenoid, fuel trim, intake air temperature (IAT), manifold
absolute pressure (MAP), misfire, O2S-1, system voltage or throttle
position (TP) sensor DTCs have been set.=20
DTC P1133 diagnostic runs once per ignition cycle once the above
conditions have been met.

DTC P1133 is a type B DTC.

Diagnostic Aids
Possible causes of DTC P1133:

An intermittent connection or corrosion in the O2S-1 harness connector
can set this DTC. Use a scan tool to monitor O2S-1 voltage with engine
running at normal operating temperature while wiggling the signal and
ground (circuit 413) wire. Make sure the sensor is tight.=20
The most probable cause for DTC P1133 is contamination. Check for
obvious contamination, oil, fuel or engine coolant, by removing the
sensor. Identify and correct the cause of the contamination if
contaminated. Replace the O2S-1.=20

Code P1133 on 2000 Saturn SL Edward Crismond Saturn 1 February 3rd 05 02:25 AM
2000 Saturn Vibration Ron Bruno Saturn 2 October 12th 04 01:32 AM
No reverse gear on 2000 Saturn SL2 A/T 2000SaturnSL2 Saturn 6 October 6th 04 06:18 PM
How to remove 2000 Saturn LS1 passenger side mirror K Saturn 3 October 3rd 04 04:00 PM
Saturn Lemons- epidemic flaws, engine cracks, ball joints misterfact Antique cars 0 January 6th 04 07:04 PM