Help me get it running. 15 year old barn find

Old August 7th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default Help me get it running. 15 year old barn find

I found a great 1969 VW Beetle that needs TLC to get back on the road.

It sat in a barn for a bunch of years in Austin, TX. It has not run
since the 80's. I want to get it running correctly and safely. Any
advice is appreciated. Please add your input on a website that anyone
can edit,
http://germanretro.com/wiki/index.ph...4:Resurrection

I found the info on http://thebugshop.org very helpful on how to
resurrect an old mummy bug, but I would like all of your collective
advice.

I need help with three checklists: 1) Engine start up 2) Overall
Cleanup and 3) Brake overhaul. I have these three checklists hosted
at the link above. I will also need to add 4) removing layers of
paint, and 5) cleaning and de-rusting articles as well. Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Old August 8th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

wrote:

> I need help with three checklists: 1) Engine start up

Get new sparkplugs, points, and condenser. Won't hurt to get new plug
wires too.

Adjust the valves.

Replace all rubber fuel lines. Under the tank and under the rear of the
car, plus in the engine compartment. Use proper size fuel hose clamps at
each joint. Do not put a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb.
Prime the pump by squirting fuel inside it, from each fitting. A dry
pump won't pump much at all.

Drain and flush the tank

Change the oil

Turn the engine over by hand at first (sparkplugs removed) a good 10
full turns. See that it turns without binding.

After the said oil change, still with sparkplugs missing, turn the
engine over with the starter so that the oil pressure warning light goes
out. Then you can fit plugs and try to fire the beast up. Be ready to
clean the carb out, might as well do it first.

> 3) Brake overhaul.

Buy new rubber brake lines, and preferrably new metal lines too. new
wheel cylinder would save you from a bunch of trouble too. best get all
that done and out of the way, because chances are that you will have to
do it anyway pretty soon, due to rubber parts drying and becoming
brittle over time. A new master cylinder may be needed too if the
current one doesn't start responding. If the brake fluid container is
empty, then the master is likely empty too and rusted all to hell on the
inside.

New shoes would be a good idea too. Even if you had thick linings, they
get warped with age and years of not using them.

Jan
--
--------------------------------
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old August 8th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

Like the other rubber parts - I would put new tyres on, even if they have
lots of tread.

The rubber will be perished and burst easily when you drive !

Rich

Old August 8th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
TerryB

wrote:
> I found a great 1969 VW Beetle that needs TLC to get back on the road.
>

> It sat in a barn for a bunch of years in Austin, TX. It has not run
> since the 80's. I want to get it running correctly and safely. Any
> advice is appreciated. Please add your input on a website that anyone
> can edit,

http://germanretro.com/wiki/index.ph...4:Resurrection

> I found the info on http://thebugshop.org very helpful on how to
> resurrect an old mummy bug, but I would like all of your collective
> advice.
>
> I need help with three checklists: 1) Engine start up 2) Overall
> Cleanup and 3) Brake overhaul. I have these three checklists hosted
> at the link above. I will also need to add 4) removing layers of
> paint, and 5) cleaning and de-rusting articles as well. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Also check inside the fan shroud and on top of the heads and cylinders
for rat nests. They just luv to build in those kinds of places or use
them for food storage. Barns and rats go hand in hand. It would be a
real shame to toast an engine that could be saved.

Old August 9th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

What's the deal with your website? One that anyone can edit.. and one
that anyone can possibly delete. I don't feel comfortable spending
hours filling in info, that can be erased by the next viewer? Don't
take this offensively, but after viewing your website.. I kind of
thought maybe it was a project.. or etc.. that you were a corporation
or something.. I kind of got the idea that you may not even have a 69
Barn Find Bug. Just a hoax to get that website information. So in
thesis, what is the deal with that website? I've never seen nothing
like it before, that is for sure. It seems everyone is just posting

Old August 9th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

I'd also like to ask.. The title says a 15 year old barn find.. it's a
1969.. That's 37 years old.. It hasn't ran since the 80's.. 27 or less
years.. If it sat in the barn for 15 years, it would have been in their
around 1991. But it didn't run since the 80's.. Where does this 15 year
barn find come from?

Is this a school report for you, that you want the world to do for you?
Rather than give info on how to get your bug running, you asked for
help editing the checklists????

Your last post you were in a 67 Westy traveling the nation in question
of good VW shops.. Never mentioned in what states you were travelling
or looking for a shop in..

Please elaborate.

Old August 10th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Well, It looks better than my Ghia did! Not too much rust! Good luck
and send us some pics of her running!

BW

Old August 13th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

wrote:
> I found a great 1969 VW Beetle that needs TLC to get back on the road.
>

> It sat in a barn for a bunch of years in Austin, TX. It has not run
> since the 80's. I want to get it running correctly and safely. Any
> advice is appreciated. Please add your input on a website that anyone
> can edit,

http://germanretro.com/wiki/index.ph...4:Resurrection

> I found the info on http://thebugshop.org very helpful on how to
> resurrect an old mummy bug, but I would like all of your collective
> advice.
>
> I need help with three checklists: 1) Engine start up 2) Overall
> Cleanup and 3) Brake overhaul. I have these three checklists hosted
> at the link above. I will also need to add 4) removing layers of
> paint, and 5) cleaning and de-rusting articles as well. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

A 15 year old could get you jail time...

J.
Old August 14th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

I believe in allowing others to edit. Http://Wikipedia.org is a great
example of what people can do together with "collaborative editing",
millions of articles. Forums are great for chat and questions, can be
hard to read, and "gets lost" on newbee's.

You can lock your articles from editing..but that only allows you to
edit them. I think this best for your own car. Helpful articles
should be free to edit/revise and peer review.

Content is not erased....just revised. Check out the history
pages.....one behind each article. See
http://germanretro.com/wiki/index.ph...action=history

I think Articles are easier to read, and edit that forum posts on a
popular subject. If someone vandalizes an article, they can easily be
rolled back, and that user or IP address blocked. Forums are great for
answering questions, not good in Articles other than FAQ's. The
"discussion page, behind each article allows you to chat on the article
itself. See http://germanretro.com/wiki/index.ph...-Bug-159141967

I thought it would help VW lovers document popular "articles". Forums
are cool also, but hard for newbee's to read/search, and tend to answer
the same questions over and over.

Let me know how we all collectively can make this a good resource, in
addition to RAMVA, for VW fans and our hobby.

Paul