switched tires and have a problem

Old October 31st 05, 12:31 AM
olddog

Default switched tires and have a problem

i swithed from my stock rims from 17 to 18 inch tires too. had them
balanced but get a rough ride about 65 to 70 do i need to have the car
alined . the balace is good what should i don

Old October 31st 05, 01:31 AM
Rick Brandt

olddog wrote:
> i swithed from my stock rims from 17 to 18 inch tires too. had them
> balanced but get a rough ride about 65 to 70 do i need to have the
> car alined . the balace is good what should i don

There is more to vibration caused by a wheel assembly than balance (you can
balance a square wheel).

Lower profile tires will exagerate a vibration in terms of feeling it in the
car. That same vibration might have been there but not as noticeable with your
old tires (or you might have just gotten a lousy balance job). 95% of the
public won't notice or care about a less than perfect balance so the sloppy
techs get away with sloppy balance jobs.

I would see if you can find a shop with a Hunter GSP Series Tire Balancer. It
has a roller that can measure uneven forces in the assembly that are not due to
balance. The link below has a locator service.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm