Strange ongoing humming tone from 94 Accord

Old January 31st 05, 04:00 AM
R. P.

> It's assembled in USA, but I'm not sure how much it would make a
> difference in a bad horn. What is the condition of your 94, Rudy? What
> do you think the next thing will be that requires replacement?

Mine was assembled in Japan and it is still running almost like new but
I took it to every scheduled maintenance even after the warranty was
over. I could have bought a new car for the cost Honda dealers charged
for those maintenance trips to them. Several parts have been replaced
since, such as the radiator and master break cylinder but that's to be
expected. The engine and the body are in excellent condition though. No
rusting that I could see, either.
I was just amazed that two guys would ever meet -- even through the
Internet -- who have the same model year car with the same milage,
especially after I thought my milage was probably above average for
that particular model year.

Rudy

Old January 31st 05, 05:57 AM

Yeah, quite amazing indeed. I just got back (1 hour ago) from a 600
mile weekend trip from Boston to Philadelphia, with not a single
problem. The weird horn noise went away by itself - I suspect there may
have been water touching some sort of electrical contact. I did,
however, get sideswiped by a semi-truck, making the drivers side look
absolutely horrendous. Broke off the mirror, as well.

So much for my previously BEAUTIFUL rich turquoise Accord. Fortunately
nobody was hurt, and it still drives marvelously.

Old February 1st 05, 07:46 AM
R. P.

> So much for my previously BEAUTIFUL rich turquoise Accord. Fortunately
> nobody was hurt, and it still drives marvelously.

Sorry for your misfortune. I guess I've been lucky so far though I
know that what happened to you could happen to anybody being at the
wrong place at the wrong time.
Looks like even our car's color is the same. Mine is called
"malachite green" and its paint code is BG-31P. Is yours the same?

Rudy

Old February 1st 05, 07:50 AM
R. P.

"Abeness" > wrote:
> Bummer. Hope you got his license & c., and will get it repaired on his
> bill. (and that the repair isn't more than the book value of your car.
> :-(( )

Good point about book value. I spend probably more on maintenance
in a year than its book value, I'm afraid. But then I hate to make new
car payments, too, and as long as this one keeps running lik a new car,
to me it's worth more than its book value.

Rudy

Old February 1st 05, 09:06 AM

Malachite Green - That would be the one -- I've been trying to find the
name of that color everywhere. It truly does drive like a new car
though, besides the 1800 rpm buzz (haven't bothered to spring for the
buzz kit fix yet) and a hood latch that doesn't want to close fully.
I'm still puzzled by Tegger's response saying it must have been poorly
maintained. Obviously not the case - the mechanicals look/feel great.

Also, do you know of a good all-around resource for Honda Accord
information? I find the Temple of Vtec site to be poorly organized, and
full of off topic posts, or people who want to slap tasteless
modifications to their Hondas. Is there a good Accord-only website that
might also have FAQs and generation-specific categories? The Nissan
Maxima and Mazda Miata both have excellent websites, but I suppose they
are less common than the Accord. Maybe even somewhere I can view scans
of the 94's sales brochure!

My next venture is to find a driver side mirror and try replacing it
myself, so I can pass the Mass. safety inspection.

Pravin

Old February 1st 05, 07:41 PM
Abeness

R. P. wrote:
> as long as this one keeps running lik a new car, to
> me it's worth more than its book value.

Even my rusting hulk of an old Pontiac was worth more to me than its
book value--which was about zero. [That car was a tank--complete with
steel bumpers that proved an excellent defense against being hit from
behind by some puny Honda-type with a plastic bumper! I do miss those
bumpers...]

Unfortunately, the insurance companies (are allowed to) see things
differently. They don't take into account that the car gets one from
point A to point B and runs great. The law ought to be changed to
account for such less-easily defined values.
Old February 2nd 05, 04:16 AM
R. P.

> Malachite Green - That would be the one -- I've been trying to find
> the
> name of that color everywhere.

I only know the name because about 10 years ago I bought from Honda the
matching touch-up paint with the same paint code as is indicated on the
car body at the driver side door opening. BG-31P. That touch-up bottle
also named the color as malachite green.

By the way, my car's trim is also not the usual chrome but gold,
including the tail pipe extension. That gold trim looks much better
with that body color than chrome. I also have a spoiler over the trunk
that makes the car look extra slick.

> It truly does drive like a new car
> though, besides the 1800 rpm buzz (haven't bothered to spring for the
> buzz kit fix yet) and a hood latch that doesn't want to close fully.

Hm, nothing like that with my car. I have a minor annoyance though with
the power lock that rattles a lot after I lock the car: it keeps trying
to re-lock as if I kept pressing the lock button on my remote even
though it is locked already. I've read somewhere that this is a common
problem and can be fixed by grounding a certain wire behind the door
panel but I would not open the panel just to fix it. Do you experience
the same problem, too?

> I'm still puzzled by Tegger's response saying it must have been poorly
> maintained. Obviously not the case - the mechanicals look/feel great.

Well, Tegger seems to know a lot about Hondas. I guess he must be a
machanic or something close to it.

> Also, do you know of a good all-around resource for Honda Accord
> information? I find the Temple of Vtec site to be poorly organized,
> and
> full of off topic posts, or people who want to slap tasteless
> modifications to their Hondas. Is there a good Accord-only website
> that
> might also have FAQs and generation-specific categories?

I don't have one but this NG and alt.autos.honda are pretty good
resource, plus Tegger's Web site.

> My next venture is to find a driver side mirror and try replacing it
> myself, so I can pass the Mass. safety inspection.

You might find it at a good junk yard cheaply. That's how I found a
replacement radio after the LED went dead on the original one.

Rudy

Old February 2nd 05, 05:10 PM
Abeness

R. P. wrote:
> Hm, nothing like that with my car. I have a minor annoyance though with
> the power lock that rattles a lot after I lock the car: it keeps trying
> to re-lock as if I kept pressing the lock button on my remote even
> though it is locked already. I've read somewhere that this is a common
> problem and can be fixed by grounding a certain wire behind the door
> panel but I would not open the panel just to fix it.

Well, do remember that your power lock mechanisms will burn out much
faster by leaving that unfixed. Then you could have to open ALL the door
panels instead of just the driver's...
Old February 3rd 05, 03:55 AM
R. P.

"Abeness" > wrote:
> Well, do remember that your power lock mechanisms will burn out much
> faster by leaving that unfixed. Then you could have to open ALL the
> door panels instead of just the driver's...

You might be right though I think it should have done that already in
all this years. In any case, I've found the Web page that describes the
symptom and the fix:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...79/ai_67316330

Rudy