speed governor

Old January 12th 05, 08:05 PM

Default speed governor

hi everyone--
would have posted this in r.a.m.ford but that group seems to have gone
to hell, plus i have always gotten good responses from ramfe.

i just bought a new 2005 ranger, an upgrade from my 94 xlt explorer. i
was disappointed to discover that there seems to be a speed governor
(maxes out at 91-92 mph). i rarely drive that fast, but i don't want a
governor on my vehicle--do any of the explorers have governors? i don't
recall mine having one.

is this something that the dealership can 'remove' from my ranger? not
sure if it's a mechanical part, or in the computer. it's also an issue
because i was assured by the sales rep that there was NOT a governor of
any type, when i was test driving. would its removal affect my
warranty or my insurance in any way? i didn't get much help from the
first service dept. i called.

thanks for your help,
john

PS, does jim warman still post in this forum?

Old January 12th 05, 08:21 PM
John Riggs

It's a chip in the computer. Look around. After market chips are
available for most makes and models.

Yes, Jim is still around.

oups.com...

Old January 13th 05, 04:10 AM
Kevin D

I live in Washington state, and believe me, it's good to have a
governor...any governor at this point!

We just let Florida off the hook.

Old January 13th 05, 05:12 AM
Jim Warman

Personally, I think anyone that feels the need to go that fast is a couple
sandwiches shy of a picnic. Especially in something that isn't going to
exhibit a great deal of stability at those speeds.

Oh, I know all about how very, very good some drivers are..... In fact, I've
scraped many of them off our local highways...

Old January 13th 05, 10:50 PM
The Malt Hound

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
newsqnFd.87510$dv1.10934@edtnps89...
> Personally, I think anyone that feels the need to go that fast is a couple
> sandwiches shy of a picnic. Especially in something that isn't going to
> exhibit a great deal of stability at those speeds.
>
> Oh, I know all about how very, very good some drivers are..... In fact,
> I've
> scraped many of them off our local highways...

I was thinking the exact same thing. What's the point in a Ranger Pickup?

-Fred W

Old January 13th 05, 11:08 PM
Ron B.

See if it can fly................

Old January 14th 05, 07:10 AM
Jim Warman

They do..... unfortunately they lack both ailerons and rudder. Anyway, it's
not the flying that kills........ but there is that little thiing with the
sudden stop on landing.

On a more personal note, I really don't care if some folks are busy trying
to "off" themselves (other than the trauma emergency responders experience
dealing with the mess). Unfortunately, the cause of the tragedy usually
winds up walking wounded while the innocents are lost.

I found these in another NG (many from here go there...). The irony is
astounding.... we can apply this same irony to all manner of subjects.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/...d?in_archive=1

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...9784029686.txt

Old January 14th 05, 06:24 PM
John Riggs

I don't know that I'll look at them....they are here.

I didn't realize you were a Nebraska fan, Jim.

Old January 15th 05, 03:57 AM
Jim Warman

Actually, they are not graphic in the least, John. I'm not a Nebraska
fan..... NASCAR, NHRA, Harleys, cheap whiskey and Mrs mechanic are the
things I love. The first story is an article written by a university
student - he's voicing his displeasure with seatbelt laws and feels they are
an infringement on his basic rights. The second story deals with his
demise.... ejected from the rear seat of a rolling SUV - no seatbelt.

Old January 15th 05, 04:37 AM
Gordon S. Hlavenka

Jim Warman wrote:
> The first story is an article written by a university
> student - he's voicing his displeasure with seatbelt laws and feels they are
> an infringement on his basic rights. The second story deals with his
> demise.... ejected from the rear seat of a rolling SUV - no seatbelt.

I agree with the late Mr. Kieper that the cops should keep their noses
out of my lap. The difference is, I choose to wear my seat belt. I
still think the laws are wasteful of taxpayer dollars and a dangerous
intrusion.

Another way to look at it is like this: Some accident situations are
more dangerous when seat belts are worn. A very small percentage of
accidents, true, but a few. Seat belt laws *kill* *people* in those
situations. Lives are (or may be) taken without due process, innocent
people martyred to the cause of safety for the majority. The State has
no right to play dice with the lives of its citizens.

As I said, I always wear my seat belt; I wear it just to move from one
end of the driveway to the other :-) But I should be allowed the
freedom to not wear it if I choose.

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
Tragically, as many as 9625 out of every 10,000