'87 5000 cd Quatro steering wheel re fasten

Old August 28th 04, 12:08 AM
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm

Default '87 5000 cd Quatro steering wheel re fasten

Hi All,
my wife left her Audi at home so I can have a look at it "the steering is
weird" is her diagnose. The previous owner(s) have left me with lots of half
done jobs and this is one of them.
Of course she takes the Bentley book with her to make sure I have to spent
some time tinkering She wont be home for 2 weeks and expects it fixed
when she gets back.
My diagnose; Among other things, like new struts, the steering wheel needs
to be refastened, but how to get there?Can I remove (with some force) the
middle part ? and dig further from there?
Some hints would be appreciated.
Any one ever did the struts? Looks straight forward work or are there some
hidden problems ?

Thanks
Richard

--
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm
remove <?> from email for reply

Old August 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Tony

The Bald Ass Prairie Farm wrote:

> My diagnose; Among other things, like new struts, the steering wheel needs
> to be refastened, but how to get there?Can I remove (with some force) the
> middle part ? and dig further from there?

The rectangular center cover just pops off by pulling. Easiest to start at one
corner and pull back until it 'pops'. It is fastened at four points. Be careful
not to let it pull too far before removing the horn wire connected in back.

The wheel attaches with a large nut which holds the wheel on a spline. It is not
tapered. It seems unlikely that the wheel would have loosened up by itself.

If her problem is that the wheel seems loose you would want to check to see if
the rack has loose mounting bolts or bad tie rod ends.

Check the lower ball joint on each strut.

If she is getting a clunking sound when the wheel is turned it is the strut
bearings (top of the strut).

Old August 28th 04, 09:20 PM
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm

Thanks Tony,
yep it looks weird to me too, at least I never have seen it before, but it
is
definitely loose. It tilts about a half inch up en down.
I'll have a go at it tomorrow, if I find strange things I'll report here

Thanks

Richard