Can You swap a 92 tranny into a 99 ??????

Old August 17th 04, 05:59 AM
Marco

Default Can You swap a 92 tranny into a 99 ??????

My girl friend has a 1999 Saturn SL1 and the transmission is starting to go,
it bangs into reverse and sometimes it doesn't shift.

Now I have a 1992 Saturn SL2, would that transmission fit into her car?

Old August 17th 04, 06:27 AM
Lane

If it is a manual transmission, the answer is a qualified yes. DOHC (your
SL2) manual transmissions are geared differently than SOHC (her SL1)
transmissions. While it will bolt up and operate, the DOHC trans is geard a
bit more toward performance/acceleration and the SOHC won't likely get as
good of mileage with it.

If it is an automatic transmission - interchangeability isn't as easy. The
trans itself has electronics in it which aren't compatible among all years.
I do not know anything more specific.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers."
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www57.pair.com/lane

Old August 17th 04, 12:09 PM
jdoe

PRobably just the vavlve body. HAd the same issue on my 96.
Larry

Old August 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Blah Blah

The "slam" statement kinda hints at automatic.

Refer to the recent post with the thread "Transmission Shifts Hard -
Vavle Body?" Read that thread to get an idea of what you will probably
need to do.

There appears to be some changes between the 91-92 and 93-up TAAT
transmissions so there wont be nothing worth robbing off of the 92.

In article >, -NOSPAM
says...