CRV Vs. RAV4?

Old November 25th 04, 07:15 PM

a wrote:
> Al Andre wrote:
>
>> I have been considering the CRV LX 4WD very much, and then I started to
>> wonder if I should consider the RAV4 also...

> Also, you should consider one of the main technical differences between
> them: Honda's "real-time" awd (which is 2wd until it detects slipping)
> and the Toyota's full time awd.

As a follow up:

"The permanently-engaged 'Real-Time' four-wheel-drive system, which
works in front-wheel-drive most of the time, has the advantage of
offering better fuel economy than cars with full-time all-wheel-drive
system, and it disengages under braking to allow the four-wheel ABS to
work. On the negative side, if you get stuck in some mud, there is a bit
of a delay in power transfer which might mean that you can't maintain
the momentum needed to continue. In my opinion, full-time 4WD systems,
like the Toyota RAV4's revised system or Subaru Forester's AWD system,
offer superior performance to Honda's system. However, Honda's system is
better than just front-wheel-drive - for those who only need 4WD for
getting out of a snow-filled driveway or getting up a slippery hill,
Honda's system is quite adequate."

From a review (of the 2002) he
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/02cr-v.htm

You may also want to read this:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/04rav4.htm

It's a good site, good reviews and nice large photos...

Old November 25th 04, 08:30 PM
motsco_ _

===============

Go to the CRV forum at hondasuv.com

ALL your answers are there.

'Curly'

Old November 25th 04, 08:30 PM
motsco_ _

===============

Go to the CRV forum at hondasuv.com

ALL your answers are there.

'Curly'

Old November 25th 04, 10:40 PM
Imminent Vengeance

Al Andre wrote:

> After buying a 1999 Accord EX V6 which was bad in the snow and a 2002 Civic
> EX which is fair but not that great in the snow, I am ready for something
> else.

How about winter tires?

Old November 25th 04, 10:40 PM
Imminent Vengeance

Al Andre wrote:

> After buying a 1999 Accord EX V6 which was bad in the snow and a 2002 Civic
> EX which is fair but not that great in the snow, I am ready for something
> else.

How about winter tires?

Old November 26th 04, 01:12 AM
Al Andre

Thank you everyone for your input, I will look into these topics in more
depth. To answer some past questions, I didn't have snow tires on my 99
accord and it was pretty bad. I do have snow tires on my 02 civic and it is
okay, but as soon as there is 6 inches or more on the ground I think twice
about driving, so its not that great to tell the truth. Mostly what I am
looking for is getting out of the driveway and getting up hills, so maybe
the Honda crv will work. I'll have to test drive them.

Thanks,
Al

Old November 26th 04, 01:12 AM
Al Andre

Old November 26th 04, 05:35 AM
Todd

Hello,

I have a 2002 CRV-EX with about 32,500 miles. I have been extremely
happy with it so far. This July will be 3 years that I have owned it.
Before I purchased it I did check out the Rav4. I compared them both
and in my opinion You got more bang for your buck with the Honda.
This is the 4th Honda I have owned so I am a little biased towards honda
but I believe either one would make somebody a great vehicle.

Todd

nk.net...

Old November 26th 04, 05:35 AM
Todd

Hello,

I have a 2002 CRV-EX with about 32,500 miles. I have been extremely
happy with it so far. This July will be 3 years that I have owned it.
Before I purchased it I did check out the Rav4. I compared them both
and in my opinion You got more bang for your buck with the Honda.
This is the 4th Honda I have owned so I am a little biased towards honda
but I believe either one would make somebody a great vehicle.

Todd

nk.net...

Old November 26th 04, 10:33 AM
SoCalMike

Al Andre wrote:

> Thank you everyone for your input, I will look into these topics in more
> depth. To answer some past questions, I didn't have snow tires on my 99
> accord and it was pretty bad. I do have snow tires on my 02 civic and it is
> okay, but as soon as there is 6 inches or more on the ground I think twice
> about driving, so its not that great to tell the truth. Mostly what I am
> looking for is getting out of the driveway and getting up hills, so maybe
> the Honda crv will work. I'll have to test drive them.

itll likely suit you just fine, but you *might* need to replace the OEM
tires with something better.