85 CJ body tub weight

Old May 5th 05, 02:25 AM
Dale Beckett

Default 85 CJ body tub weight

I've been Googling, but have come up empty so far.

Does anyone know the weight of a stock CJ body tub?
Or the weight of a typical fiberglass replacement tub?

Thanks for any insight.

--

Dale Beckett
Old May 5th 05, 04:01 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The stock Civilian Jeep tub weighs about ninety pounds. Be sure and
take the time to make gussets hooking your roll bar with your frame.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 07:30 AM
Rusted

my first Google hit

http://www.fibertechind.com/jeep_bodies.htm

Extreme Fiberglass tub = 275lbs
Kevlar Tub = 325lbs

I would take a guess that a stock steel tub would be 400+ish??

k.net....

Old May 5th 05, 06:22 PM
Dale Beckett

L.W.(=3D?iso-8859-1?Q?=3DDFill?=3D) Hughes III says...
> The stock Civilian Jeep tub weighs about ninety pounds. Be sure and
> take the time to make gussets hooking your roll bar with your frame.=20
> God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

Good point about the roll bar, but surely "ninety pounds" is a typo?

--=20

Dale Beckett
Old May 5th 05, 06:33 PM
Rusted

90 pounds does not sound right for all of that REAL steel, I bet my CJ doors
weight more that that.

Old May 5th 05, 07:11 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dale,
Nope, both the Jeeps I had the bodies off to paint weighed ninty or
less: http://www.billhughes.com/cj5apart.jpg and
http://www.billhughes.com/inthebeginng.jpg I'd just stand them on end
and lift them by their dashes and walk around. I can't believe they make
fiberglass tubs as heavy as advertised on the site provided you.
Although they say they reinforce them with quarter inch steel, kind of
defeats the purpose.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 5th 05, 07:14 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Doors?????
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 09:44 PM
Lee Ayrton

I'd guess that my repop steel `79 tub is well shy of 400#, since I could
lift one end at a time without popping a gut. If forced to bet on it my
money would say 300#. Of course, the repop steel is thinner than the
OEM sheetmetal was.

Old May 5th 05, 10:11 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That was with the roll bar?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Lee Ayrton

Naw, the rollbar weighs only about 30 pounds. It is difficult to judge
just how heavy the tub is, since (unlike you) I wasn't lifting the whole
thing at once.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
> That was with the roll bar?
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Lee Ayrton wrote:
>
>>I'd guess that my repop steel `79 tub is well shy of 400#, since I could
>>lift one end at a time without popping a gut. If forced to bet on it my
>>money would say 300#. Of course, the repop steel is thinner than the
>>OEM sheetmetal was.

Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 12:49 AM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM
1700lbs in a V-6 pickup? Steve General 7 May 25th 04 03:39 PM
Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(still crossposting) Matt O'Toole Audi 18 May 13th 04 09:41 PM