Reversing light switch

Old December 4th 05, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Reversing light switch

Where would I find the reversing light switch on my 73 super.

Cant see one on the tranny.

If there isn't one, can I fit one ?

Thanks
Rich

Old December 4th 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

My transmission is still in the car. Looking from underneath I couldnt see
any switches or wires.

Rich

Old December 4th 05, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

tricky wrote:

> Where would I find the reversing light switch on my 73 super.
>
> Cant see one on the tranny.
>
> If there isn't one, can I fit one ?
>
> Thanks
> Rich

On the front face of the nosecone, there will be
a round threaded plug.
It will be to the right of the shift lever/rod
if you are standing behind the car.
Drain the oil before removing the plug.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 5th 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> Where would I find the reversing light switch on my 73 super.
>
> Cant see one on the tranny.
>
> If there isn't one, can I fit one ?
>
> Thanks
> Rich

Rich,

The switch is located on the nosecose of the transaxle. You will be
able to see it if you slide up under the car on the passenger side. The
terminals face forward. Look near the front transaxle mount on the
right side. Just so you know, the terminals are interchangeable when
you go to wire it up.

Speaking of, don't be surprised by the lack of wires. The wiring for
this circuit was completely missing when I got my 1974 super. In
addition, my switch was a dud. If your switch is the original, plan on
replacing it. Fortunately on the super beetle you can replace the
switch without pulling the transaxle. I seem to recall that you cannot
do this on a standard beetle, or perhaps it was just the swingaxle
beetles. Be prepared to catch a little gear oil if you remove the
switch without draining the transaxle.

Anyway, one wire should come from the hot side of the coil, then it
goes to a fuse holder above the alternator/generator, and then down
through the rubber grommet on the forward breast tin and then forward
from there to the switch. The hole in the forward tin for this is on
the right side. The second wire comes from the other terminal on the
switch back through the same rubber grommet and plugs into a single
wire connector that branches off for each reverse light behind the
firewall insulation. I think the wires are blue if memory serves
correctly. On mine the plug/blue wires were buried behind the tarboard
but I got lucky...the lights lit up when I applied 12 volts. Saved me
some work there. Here's hoping you have similar luck.

>From the factory I think there was a plug at the switch similar to the

one used for the brake light switches. Since I didn't have that piece I
just used two of the 'crimp' connectors you can get in the bubble pack
at autozone and plugged them in manually. If you go this route make
sure you solder and shrinkwrap the connectors.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Old December 7th 05, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"tricky" > wrote in message
> Where would I find the reversing light switch on my 73 super.
>
> Cant see one on the tranny.

It's probably okay. Check the wiring in the engine room. Oh, and if you
reverse the polarity, it acts as a kill-switch - that's why it dies when you
put it into reverse. I consider it an anti-theft device.

Old December 7th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks to all

I will get back underneath in the spring and see if I can install one.

It doesnt look like it was ever fitted. I have after market rear lights so
I cant tell, but there doesnt seem to be any wiring for it.

Rich