Pin Stripe Removal - Paint Damage?

Old January 30th 05, 09:18 PM
Kent

Default Pin Stripe Removal - Paint Damage?

My girlfriend has her eye on a new car at a local dealership. The price is
the best we've found, but the dealership has applied adhesive pinstriping to
every single car on the lot! Why the hell do some dealers do this?! I've
told him we might be interested in the car if it didn't have the pin
striping, and he tells me that he can have it easily removed without
damaging the paint. I'm skeptical that this is true if pin stripe removal
pads and/or solvent solutions are used. What do you guys think, should I
just move on to the next dealership?

TIA,

Kent

--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 221,500+ miles

Old January 30th 05, 09:27 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Kent wrote:

>My girlfriend has her eye on a new car at a local dealership. The price is
>the best we've found, but the dealership has applied adhesive pinstriping to
>every single car on the lot! Why the hell do some dealers do this?!

So they can add a "dealer sticker" price.

> I've
>told him we might be interested in the car if it didn't have the pin
>striping, and he tells me that he can have it easily removed without
>damaging the paint. I'm skeptical that this is true if pin stripe removal
>pads and/or solvent solutions are used. What do you guys think, should I
>just move on to the next dealership?

Inspect the ends of the tape with a magnifier. They may use an
Exacto knife or razor blade to do the ends, and that may make tiny
slices in the paint.

If the paint near the ends is not damaged by blade, I predict
success. I am not speaking from experience however.

Old January 30th 05, 09:42 PM
Kent

You're not kidding. The pinstriping was included in an add-on "Appearance
Package" that also included rubber molding around the fenders. Cost? $995!
Of course, the dealer immediately agreed to "throw in the appearance package
at no charge". They obviously use the package as a bargaining tool, and
expect to offer it at no charge from the beginning. Ignoring the appearance
package, this dealer's prices are still very competitive, which is why I'm
putting up with this BS for now.

Old January 31st 05, 04:56 AM
Gill2003

An earlier car I had (Pontiac), I got rid of the ugly pinstripe by just
taking a blow dryer to it. I used my nails to just kinda pick it off. My
GF car has the pinstripe it seems under the clear coat, since its pretty
smooth against the paint.

Old January 31st 05, 03:10 PM
Petey

Having just retired from the car sales business I can say that they are
easy to remove. Usually a blowdrier will soften the adhesive and you
can use a scraper or just peel them off with your fingernails. Its not
rocket science. I've seen it done many times with no damage to the
cars whatsoever. I worked at a dealership where they only put them on
the used cars and NEVER charged extra for them. I've also seen
dealerships charge $1500 for pinstripes and window tint. My
recommendation would be to never pay for that extra stuff unless they
only charge their cost. If they won't take it off then find another
car that doesn't have it on.

TroyD

Old February 1st 05, 06:51 AM
ThaDriver

It can be eaisly removed but the comment about the razor cut at the ends
(every end including at each door etc.) is a valid concern. I would tell
them to get another like car at the same price (since it's new) or go
somewhere else. BTW I've done body & paint for over 30 years...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

2002 Miata SE Paint Problems David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E. Mazda 1 November 8th 04 08:48 PM
Additional notes on electrolytic rust removal Bob Hoover VW air cooled 2 October 28th 04 01:09 AM
paint chips & touchup paint (brush on vs. aerosol) Joe Blo General 9 September 22nd 04 03:40 PM
Paint Damage on 156 Torey Alfa Romeo 0 May 6th 04 01:32 AM
Maaco Paint William Rose General 1 January 17th 04 12:23 AM