shelving for garage?

Old November 21st 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Default shelving for garage?

Hi all,

I have finally acquired a garage; now the problem is to organize all my
stuff in it! I do have two roll cabinets for my tools but I would also
like some shelves to hold all the other assorted stuff that ends up in a
garage. I have seen two different products that look like viable
options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
shelves like are used in restaurants. The other option would be
warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves. Any opinions
either way? Other options to look at? Good places to buy from? Either
style seems readily available on eBay but not sure where else to look.

As an aside, it seems as though some people do not understand the
meaning of the phrase "heavy duty." A shelf with a load rating of 150
lbs. is "heavy duty?" Heck, that means I can't even climb on it! sheesh...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old November 21st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:18:42 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have finally acquired a garage; now the problem is to organize all my
>stuff in it! I do have two roll cabinets for my tools but I would also
>like some shelves to hold all the other assorted stuff that ends up in a
>garage. I have seen two different products that look like viable
>options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
>shelves like are used in restaurants. The other option would be
>warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves. Any opinions
>either way? Other options to look at? Good places to buy from? Either
>style seems readily available on eBay but not sure where else to look.
>
>As an aside, it seems as though some people do not understand the
>meaning of the phrase "heavy duty." A shelf with a load rating of 150
>lbs. is "heavy duty?" Heck, that means I can't even climb on it! sheesh...
>
>nate

IMO, think wood.

as in 2x4's
and 1x10's

Then just cut an nail your way to happiness. BTDT.

Lg

Old November 21st 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ad absurdum per aspera

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have seen two different products that look like viable
> options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
> shelves like are used in restaurants.

Those are nice as far as they go. I have several of the black ones
here and there, and Santa may bring me the big chrome roll-around
jobbie you're probably thinking of, for the laundry room. They seem to
be rather limited in depth (which can be an advantage in some
situations). Affix 'em to the wall because of potential instability
if the center of gravity gets too high.

> warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves.

Some of those things look reasonably sturdy. As with most reasonably
sturdy things, a pal to help with lifting and assembly is highly
recommended.

> Good places to buy from?

Looks as though both Sam's and Costco have at least one of these types,
as do the home improvement stores. Alas, they won't sell you one of
*their* racks!

Outside-the-(big)-box idea: Keep on the lookout for a dime store or
whatever that's going out of business under "selling to the bare walls
-- fixtures and all" terms, and see if they'll sell onesies and twosies
of the store shelving units. You might give up a little in
reconfigurability (and you might need an extra buddy as well as a
pickup truck) but they tend to be attractive, practical, and built to
really take it.

--Joe

Old November 21st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have finally acquired a garage; now the problem is to organize all my
> stuff in it! I do have two roll cabinets for my tools but I would also
> like some shelves to hold all the other assorted stuff that ends up in a
> garage. I have seen two different products that look like viable
> options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
> shelves like are used in restaurants. The other option would be
> warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves. Any opinions
> either way? Other options to look at? Good places to buy from? Either
> style seems readily available on eBay but not sure where else to look.
>
> As an aside, it seems as though some people do not understand the
> meaning of the phrase "heavy duty." A shelf with a load rating of 150
> lbs. is "heavy duty?" Heck, that means I can't even climb on it! sheesh...

Absolutely, positively the Metro type wire shelving of it's clones. MDF
sags with time and gets destroyed by liquids like oil, grease, gas, etc.
If you need solid shelves they sell plastic liners for the wire shelves.
The wire shelves are also a lot stronger than the MDF.

Pete C.
Old November 21st 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>> I have seen two different products that look like viable
>>options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
>>shelves like are used in restaurants.

> Those are nice as far as they go. I have several of the black ones
> here and there, and Santa may bring me the big chrome roll-around
> jobbie you're probably thinking of, for the laundry room. They seem to
> be rather limited in depth (which can be an advantage in some
> situations). Affix 'em to the wall because of potential instability
> if the center of gravity gets too high.
>

>>warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves.

> Some of those things look reasonably sturdy. As with most reasonably
> sturdy things, a pal to help with lifting and assembly is highly
> recommended.
>

>>Good places to buy from?

> Looks as though both Sam's and Costco have at least one of these types,
> as do the home improvement stores. Alas, they won't sell you one of
> *their* racks!

Are they really the full on heavy duty type though? All I've seen look
similar but don't have the 600-700 lb/shelf load ratings of the stuff I
really want.

> Outside-the-(big)-box idea: Keep on the lookout for a dime store or
> whatever that's going out of business under "selling to the bare walls
> -- fixtures and all" terms, and see if they'll sell onesies and twosies
> of the store shelving units. You might give up a little in
> reconfigurability (and you might need an extra buddy as well as a
> pickup truck) but they tend to be attractive, practical, and built to
> really take it.
>
> --Joe

Ayup. unfortunately I don't have a pickup, so ordering from a place
that will ship/deliver would be a bonus. I actually found a place in
Detroit that specialized in used restaurant equipment, and bought one
set of the restaurant shelves - in stainless! - for about $80.
Unfortunately, I now live in Virginia, and anyway the girlie still
refers to said store as "that creepy warehouse you dragged me to." And
the shelves are in my friend's garage holding up his collection of four
speed transmissions, etc. I don't think there's anything like that
here, sadly.

To another poster: I would prefer not to build-in shelves because a) I
am not yet committed to a layout for the garage and would like the
ability to experiment and b) I would also like the ability to knock them
down and take them with me if/when I move, so I don't have to go through
this shelving procurement exercise again.

nate
nate

Old November 21st 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have seen two different products that look like viable
> > options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
> > shelves like are used in restaurants.

> Those are nice as far as they go. I have several of the black ones
> here and there, and Santa may bring me the big chrome roll-around
> jobbie you're probably thinking of, for the laundry room. They seem to
> be rather limited in depth (which can be an advantage in some
> situations). Affix 'em to the wall because of potential instability
> if the center of gravity gets too high.
>
> > warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves.

> Some of those things look reasonably sturdy. As with most reasonably
> sturdy things, a pal to help with lifting and assembly is highly
> recommended.
>
> > Good places to buy from?

> Looks as though both Sam's and Costco have at least one of these types,
> as do the home improvement stores. Alas, they won't sell you one of
> *their* racks!
>
> Outside-the-(big)-box idea: Keep on the lookout for a dime store or
> whatever that's going out of business under "selling to the bare walls
> -- fixtures and all" terms, and see if they'll sell onesies and twosies
> of the store shelving units. You might give up a little in
> reconfigurability (and you might need an extra buddy as well as a
> pickup truck) but they tend to be attractive, practical, and built to
> really take it.
>
> --Joe

The Metro type shelves are available in 24" depth, but you won't find
them at retail outlets.

Pete C.
Old November 21st 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have finally acquired a garage; now the problem is to organize all my
> stuff in it! I do have two roll cabinets for my tools but I would also
> like some shelves to hold all the other assorted stuff that ends up in a
> garage. I have seen two different products that look like viable
> options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
> shelves like are used in restaurants. The other option would be
> warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves. Any opinions
> either way? Other options to look at? Good places to buy from? Either
> style seems readily available on eBay but not sure where else to look.
>
> As an aside, it seems as though some people do not understand the
> meaning of the phrase "heavy duty." A shelf with a load rating of 150
> lbs. is "heavy duty?" Heck, that means I can't even climb on it!
> sheesh...
>
> nate

I'm with Lawrence on this one. Plywood and 2x4's is what my garage ends
up using for shelving. When I redo my current garage I'm going attached
to the walls, starting 3' off the floor and going to the ceiling. A
1/2" piece of plywood properly supported housed two TH350 transmissions
in my garage last winter. (bottom half of my workbench.)

I guess you could worry about looks. I worry about storage space. I
dunno where all this crap came from, but I think (race car) I might
(race car) have an idea. The wife's car.

Ray
Old November 21st 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:34:45 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>> I have seen two different products that look like viable
>>>options; first, the chrome plated (or better yet, stainless) steel wire
>>>shelves like are used in restaurants.

>> Those are nice as far as they go. I have several of the black ones
>> here and there, and Santa may bring me the big chrome roll-around
>> jobbie you're probably thinking of, for the laundry room. They seem to
>> be rather limited in depth (which can be an advantage in some
>> situations). Affix 'em to the wall because of potential instability
>> if the center of gravity gets too high.
>>

>>>warehouse-style painted steel frames with MDF shelves.

>> Some of those things look reasonably sturdy. As with most reasonably
>> sturdy things, a pal to help with lifting and assembly is highly
>> recommended.
>>

>>>Good places to buy from?

>> Looks as though both Sam's and Costco have at least one of these types,
>> as do the home improvement stores. Alas, they won't sell you one of
>> *their* racks!
>>

>Are they really the full on heavy duty type though? All I've seen look
>similar but don't have the 600-700 lb/shelf load ratings of the stuff I
>really want.
>
>> Outside-the-(big)-box idea: Keep on the lookout for a dime store or
>> whatever that's going out of business under "selling to the bare walls
>> -- fixtures and all" terms, and see if they'll sell onesies and twosies
>> of the store shelving units. You might give up a little in
>> reconfigurability (and you might need an extra buddy as well as a
>> pickup truck) but they tend to be attractive, practical, and built to
>> really take it.
>>
>> --Joe
>>

>Ayup. unfortunately I don't have a pickup, so ordering from a place
>that will ship/deliver would be a bonus. I actually found a place in
>Detroit that specialized in used restaurant equipment, and bought one
>set of the restaurant shelves - in stainless! - for about $80.
>Unfortunately, I now live in Virginia, and anyway the girlie still
>refers to said store as "that creepy warehouse you dragged me to." And
>the shelves are in my friend's garage holding up his collection of four
>speed transmissions, etc. I don't think there's anything like that
>here, sadly.

>To another poster: I would prefer not to build-in shelves because a) I
>am not yet committed to a layout for the garage and would like the
>ability to experiment and b) I would also like the ability to knock them
>down and take them with me if/when I move, so I don't have to go through
>this shelving procurement exercise again.
>
>nate

The reason I suggested wood, is because you can get it in various
dimensions, like 4x4's to support up to almost any weight you can
think of, and it's available, as in Home Depot and such. And it
doesn't rust. And its weight to strength ratio can be quite high.
Wood can take a lot of abuse before it gives out. Same cannot be said
about steel.

And my other reason for the suggestion is that once you build-in the
shelves, leave them behind if you go somewhere else. The cost of
moving them would exceed buying/building new somewhere else.

Depends on your particular situation. I like wood because I can work
it without a welding torch. Just some saws and screw guns and I have
what I want. Price is the other consideration. Wood is less
expensive than steel, and, IMO...stronger.

But, you have your reasons for wanting steel, so go for it. It might
be quite expensive when all is said and done.

Lg

Old November 21st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Pete C. wrote:

> Absolutely, positively the Metro type wire shelving of it's clones. MDF
> sags with time and gets destroyed by liquids like oil, grease, gas, etc.
> If you need solid shelves they sell plastic liners for the wire shelves.
> The wire shelves are also a lot stronger than the MDF.

Metro makes shelves of 'solid' sheet steel. I see them each day I walk
down to the factory floor. Plus I know that at least the corner pieces
are die cast in the USA, because I've seen them being cast.

http://www.metro.com/ftp/pdf/10.20.pdf

Except the ones I am familiar with have wheels instead of feet.

found them under carts:
http://www.metro.com/ftp/pdf/11.10.pdf

Old November 21st 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Brent P wrote:

> In article >, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > Absolutely, positively the Metro type wire shelving of it's clones. MDF
> > sags with time and gets destroyed by liquids like oil, grease, gas, etc.
> > If you need solid shelves they sell plastic liners for the wire shelves.
> > The wire shelves are also a lot stronger than the MDF.

> Metro makes shelves of 'solid' sheet steel. I see them each day I walk
> down to the factory floor. Plus I know that at least the corner pieces
> are die cast in the USA, because I've seen them being cast.
>
> http://www.metro.com/ftp/pdf/10.20.pdf
>
> Except the ones I am familiar with have wheels instead of feet.
>
> found them under carts:
> http://www.metro.com/ftp/pdf/11.10.pdf

There is no shortage to the goodies you can get in the real Metro line.
I have a set of 24" x 60" Metro that I use as an entertainment center.
You can get a decent selection from the commercial clones like Eagle as
well. MSC, Grainger and similar carry the various lines. The container
store actually carried the interMetro line retail and can special order
other components.

The cheapo clone stuff you find at HD or Lowe's is of course limited to
just he basic configurations they carry, but based on one unit I use as
a printer stand they are well made. Sam's and the like tend to carry
some of the larger Metro clones including one unit that's a bin rack and
comes with the plastic bins and both wheels and leveling feet for $99
which is wonderful in the shop. I've got one and may get a second since
the first is just about full.

Pete C.