Chinese Tires Are Ordered Recalled

Old June 27th 07, 11:49 AM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
Tegger

Default Chinese Tires Are Ordered Recalled

(Fake ID) wrote in news:4681ece4$0$14061
:

> Tires don't usually don't say where they're from.

Yeah? Go look at a few.

--
Tegger

Old June 27th 07, 11:56 AM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:49:55 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

(Fake ID) wrote in news:4681ece4$0$14061
:

>> Tires don't usually don't say where they're from.

>Yeah? Go look at a few.

I know Nate doesn't like them on his vehicle, but I just replaced a
Continental Tire that my wife blew out in a construction zone.

I had to CUT the old tire of the alloy wheel. Man was that a bitch!
I went through so many saw blades, metal-cutting included, it took me
at least 1/2 HOUR to cut the old f*ing tire _off_.

And the cables in the rim area...well you might as well try to cut a
suspension cable on the San Francisco bridge! What a bitch of a job.
I had SMOKE coming from the tire while I was cutting through the steel
belts.

That Continental Tire is built like a freaking BATTLESHIP!

If you ever want to do the *experiment* yourself, use a jigsaw with a
DOZEN metal cutting blades.

Then, you will see how a tire is =supposed= to be made.

I bought a new one for $87 at the dealership and had _them_ put it on.
They didn't torque the wheel nuts correctly (undertorqued), so
whenever you get your car back from a dealership, check those wheel
nuts.

BTW, I still have the *old* tire in my garage. It is a masterpiece of
workmanship and I'm keeping it for reference and as a souvenier.

Lg

Old June 27th 07, 02:19 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
George[_15_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Brent P > wrote:
>>> But every time someone buys an item at Walmart aren't they giving
>>> explicit approval that price is the most important thing and everything
>>> is OK?

>> Why would that be? Walmart carries various products that compete with one
>> another on the shelves. Some cost more, some cost less.

> No, they really don't. That's the basic problem. The consumer demand for
> cheaper and cheaper products means it becomes more difficult to find
> products that _aren't_ cheap.
>
> And we get to an environment where there is a bimodal distribution... there
> are high-end handmade products, and then there is shoddy Wal-Mart crap,
> and nothing in-between.

Thats exactly the situation when cheap prices are the only thing that
matters (The Walmart syndrome). First suppliers had to do stuff like
fine tuning their operation (computerization, bar coding etc) to lower
prices. Then when even lower prices were demanded they needed to cut
quality. Then Walmart demanded still lower prices so that drove many out
of business or offshore. When further demands came along they needed to
close one eye and look for even better deals on materials or shop for
even cheaper suppliers.

>> If two different stores sell the same exact product, something where
>> 'service' isn't a consideration.... like toothpaste, laundry soap, hose
>> clamps, etc.... wouldn't you buy them at the store that sold them for
>> less or at the very least was closest to you?

> Maybe, but the problem is that products aren't all the same.

And we have little way to know.

Old June 27th 07, 02:28 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
George[_15_]

Brent P wrote:
> In article .com>, Seerialmom wrote:
>
>> Yeah...those Firestone tires are NEVER recalled, are they?

> BIG difference. This chinese contract manufacturer simply decided on
> their own to cheat the specification. Firestone and Ford had a conflict
> regarding the specification. Regardless, ultimately the tire failure was
> due to *drivers* not checking tire pressure and driving on grossly under
> inflated tires and then not knowing how to drive when the blow out
> occured.

You forget the cheap part. Ford fitted their 5 ton trucks that are used
as personal vehicles as a fashion statement with the cheapest tires
possible. The tires had no operational margin so running them just a
little under inflated caused them to fail.
Old June 27th 07, 03:12 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
George[_15_]

Brent P wrote:
> In article . com>, rst wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 1:19 pm, (Brent P)
>> wrote:
>>> BIG difference. This chinese contract manufacturer simply decided on
>>> their own to cheat the specification. Firestone and Ford had a conflict
>>> regarding the specification. Regardless, ultimately the tire failure was
>>> due to *drivers* not checking tire pressure and driving on grossly under
>>> inflated tires and then not knowing how to drive when the blow out
>>> occured.

>> "Not knowing how to drive when the blowout occurred"!
>>
>> Funniest goddam thing I've read all day.

> Rule #1 with a blow out: DO NOT JAM ON THE BRAKES.
>
>> Americans really are arrogant SOB's...

> Really... where's the arrogance in my post?
>
>> Your cars suck and your tires suck. Grow up and deal with it.

> So you're a troll, I see.

I am not the OP but think about what he is saying if you were viewing us
from outer space. We literally have millions of people driving dolled up
inefficient 5 ton trucks as a fashion statement. We have manufacturers
such as Ford who push these vehicles because they are high profit (and
perhaps they don't know how to do anything else) and cases like the Ford
trucks with underrated tires presumably used because they were cheaper.

There is a good reason why Toyota has reached their current position and
stature.

Old June 27th 07, 04:50 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
Chairman Mao says:

May I ask if the owners and investors of these companies are the relatives
or Guanxi members of the Communist party?

How far do the lawsuits go when the fault is going to hit some top party
members family or pocketbook

Not very far

I'll bet you a bowel of rice on that.

In China God = money and money is God.

Nothing else matters.

The new communist party are the Robber Barons of the 21st century, they will
screw, lie and cheat anyone possible to make a profit.

If caught , they place the blame upon others.

If you're Chinese you should already know that what I'm saying is true,
unless of course you are a PLA operative or Political Officer based in
Raleigh, North Carolina USA.

Many high tech companies operating in the USA are front groups used to
illegally export high tech military items or to steal technology.

I wonder if you belong to such groups?

ups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 08:03 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
Jeff Jonas

>> > You can't cut open and inspect every tire; they're not salable after
>> > you do that. And a US company can't effectively sue a Chinese company
>> > in any case.

>> I think there is a sidebar lesson in here... if you are selling a
>> Chinese made product that can't be 100% QC checked without destructive
>> testing, well, you'd better budget in for x percent of your product
>> being destroyed for QC testing, otherwise there exists a real
>> potential for issues like these. I am glad that I am not in the shoes
>> of the importer right now.

>To be sure, the importer can sample check. And they can request
>unanounced inspection of the manufacturing facilities.

Dare I suggest that's part of the reason why military-spec parts
are so expensive: the cost and overhead of total end-to-end accountability
for the parts from raw materials, manufacturer to user.
Many parts were normally tested to destruction to assure conformance,
but even with all that, parts bins are often contaminated with
defective batches such as bolts that break too easily,
capacitors that short, explode or fail under normal use,
rubber parts that fall apart or deteriorate well before a normal lifetime, etc.
--

-- mejeep deMeep ferret!
Old June 27th 07, 09:22 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
clifto

George wrote:
> But every time someone buys an item at Walmart aren't they giving
> explicit approval that price is the most important thing and everything
> is OK?

Not necessarily. The least expensive brand of artificial tears they carry
is an example; the box proudly proclaims the product is made in the USA.
They still have some stuff that isn't supporting the Chinese military.

--
We can't possibly imprison 300 million Americans for not paying their
taxes, so let's grant all of them amnesty NOW!
Old June 27th 07, 09:31 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
clifto

George wrote:
> Its simply the result of buyers looking for cheap stuff and getting so
> caught up in Walmart price only fever that they get what they pay for.

I don't have any great love for Wal-mart, but I see no reason to bash them
to this extent. I plan a trip there this afternoon. I'll be buying some
Dr. Pepper; what I get for $2.50 there usually costs $3.59 at the main
grocery stores. Eggs are $1.23 (vs. $1.89) and they're much fresher than
those at the main grocery stores, and I doubt they were laid in China.
Many of the American-made grocery staples I buy there are over twice as
expensive at the main grocery stores. I get at least the same quality at
Wal-mart, in some cases better quality. I hope you wish that kind of
fortune on me for many years to come.

Old June 27th 07, 09:39 PM posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,soc.culture.china
clifto

So what the **** are you doing in West Milford, New Jersey then? Go back
wherever the **** you liked it better.

--
We can't possibly imprison 300 million Americans for not paying their
taxes, so let's grant all of them amnesty NOW!

Chinese Tires Are Ordered Recalled [email protected] Driving 91 July 2nd 07 06:31 PM
Just ordered my new Sky! Ray Cassick \(Home\) Saturn 4 April 1st 06 04:52 PM
04 Accord recalled Lowryter Honda 2 January 6th 05 11:23 PM
BMW E87 - Anyone around who ordered it? BMW 2 November 27th 04 03:17 PM
JUST ORDERED MY 05 ! BenF802961 Corvette 0 September 27th 04 05:45 PM