Does any alternator* fitted in cars have an impeller ?

Old June 20th 07, 12:54 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
TE Chea

Default Does any alternator* fitted in cars have an impeller ?

My NipponDenso * has no fan / impeller to pull air into * to cool
*, so this * ( esp when heated by engine block ) gets too hot ( can
boil an egg ) in 33șC air, output ( ampere & voltage ) drops too
low just as described in
www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm last paragraph.
Users cannot fit an impeller because no space exists between (
drive belt's ) pulley & * ( like in this web page's photo ).
I presume such *'s designers want to keep * small, to fit * into
engine compartment, but leaving out an impeller ( & let * overheat
, as per this web page ) looks ridiculous.
My Hitachi lawn mower's motor has an impeller : motor never gets
hot if impeller is fitted. Our 3 Black & Decker trimmers' motors
have no impeller, all 3 motors' coils melted in 33șC air & had to be
recoiled.

Old June 20th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 20, 6:54 am, "TE Chea" > wrote:
> My NipponDenso * has no fan / impeller to pull air into * to cool
> *, so this * ( esp when heated by engine block ) gets too hot ( can
> boil an egg ) in 33șC air, output ( ampere & voltage ) drops too
> low just as described inwww.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htmlast paragraph.
> Users cannot fit an impeller because no space exists between (
> drive belt's ) pulley & * ( like in this web page's photo ).
> I presume such *'s designers want to keep * small, to fit * into
> engine compartment, but leaving out an impeller ( & let * overheat
> , as per this web page ) looks ridiculous.
> My Hitachi lawn mower's motor has an impeller : motor never gets
> hot if impeller is fitted. Our 3 Black & Decker trimmers' motors
> have no impeller, all 3 motors' coils melted in 33șC air & had to be
> recoiled.

Have you looked inside the unit yet? Look near the rear, just in
front of the steel endcap, through the cast holes in the rear case
(with a flashlight). There should be a steel fan attached to the rear
end of the rotor.

ND makes probably the most reliable alternators I have ever seen in
production. Perhaps if they were speced more poorly they would need
an external fan. I don't know how that would would be superior to the
current design, unless they employed Delphi CS series front bearings.
A front fan doesn't even keep those POS (plural) from failing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 20th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Comboverfish > wrote in
ps.com:

> On Jun 20, 6:54 am, "TE Chea" > wrote:
>> My NipponDenso * has no fan / impeller to pull air into * to cool
>> *, so this * ( esp when heated by engine block ) gets too hot ( can
>> boil an egg ) in 33șC air, output ( ampere & voltage ) drops too
>> low just as described
>> inwww.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htmlast pa

> ragraph.
>> Users cannot fit an impeller because no space exists between (
>> drive belt's ) pulley & * ( like in this web page's photo ).
>> I presume such *'s designers want to keep * small, to fit * into
>> engine compartment, but leaving out an impeller ( & let * overheat
>> , as per this web page ) looks ridiculous.
>> My Hitachi lawn mower's motor has an impeller : motor never gets
>> hot if impeller is fitted. Our 3 Black & Decker trimmers' motors
>> have no impeller, all 3 motors' coils melted in 33șC air & had to be
>> recoiled.

> Have you looked inside the unit yet? Look near the rear, just in
> front of the steel endcap, through the cast holes in the rear case
> (with a flashlight). There should be a steel fan attached to the rear
> end of the rotor.

I just happen to still have my old ND alternator from my '91 Integra.

I study this unit, and lo and behold there is an impeller at BOTH ENDS:
both the diode end and the pulley end. One is evidently a "pusher" and one
a "puller".

Both impellers are within the casing and are not readily visible without
close observation, but are unmistakeably present.

--
Tegger

Old June 20th 07, 11:31 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

TE Chea wrote:
> My NipponDenso * has no fan / impeller to pull air into * to cool
> *, so this * ( esp when heated by engine block ) gets too hot ( can
> boil an egg ) in 33șC air, output ( ampere & voltage ) drops too
> low just as described in
> www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm last paragraph.
> Users cannot fit an impeller because no space exists between (
> drive belt's ) pulley & * ( like in this web page's photo ).
> I presume such *'s designers want to keep * small, to fit * into
> engine compartment, but leaving out an impeller ( & let * overheat
> , as per this web page ) looks ridiculous.
> My Hitachi lawn mower's motor has an impeller : motor never gets
> hot if impeller is fitted. Our 3 Black & Decker trimmers' motors
> have no impeller, all 3 motors' coils melted in 33șC air & had to be
> recoiled.

ALL of the alternators I have ever worked on have had some sort of fan
(various Delcos, Prestolites, Bosches and Motorolas)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 20th 07, 11:51 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Comboverfish wrote:

> On Jun 20, 6:54 am, "TE Chea" > wrote:
>
>>My NipponDenso * has no fan / impeller to pull air into * to cool
>>*, so this * ( esp when heated by engine block ) gets too hot ( can
>>boil an egg ) in 33șC air, output ( ampere & voltage ) drops too
>>low just as described inwww.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htmlast paragraph.
>>Users cannot fit an impeller because no space exists between (
>>drive belt's ) pulley & * ( like in this web page's photo ).
>>I presume such *'s designers want to keep * small, to fit * into
>>engine compartment, but leaving out an impeller ( & let * overheat
>>, as per this web page ) looks ridiculous.
>>My Hitachi lawn mower's motor has an impeller : motor never gets
>>hot if impeller is fitted. Our 3 Black & Decker trimmers' motors
>>have no impeller, all 3 motors' coils melted in 33șC air & had to be
>>recoiled.

> Have you looked inside the unit yet? Look near the rear, just in
> front of the steel endcap, through the cast holes in the rear case
> (with a flashlight). There should be a steel fan attached to the rear
> end of the rotor.

Correct- every ND alternator I've ever seen looks like a small clone of
the original Chrysler alternator- finned case with a fan on each end of
the shaft (two fans) on the INSIDE of the finned case. No big external
fan required.
Old June 21st 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
TE Chea

| Have you looked inside the unit yet?
No, I could not pull its rear cover ( part #15 in w-page of url
attached, has ND embossed on it ) off, after removing 3 nuts.

| There should be a steel fan attached to the rear end of the rotor.
No fan visible in diagram of this w-page, url attached :
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry4=KA4AT&c
atcgry5=ALTERNATOR+%28DENSO%29

| ND makes probably the most reliable alternators I have ever seen in
| production.
Possible ; how this * can survive such heat amazes me.

Old June 22nd 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:57:19 +0800, "TE Chea" > wrote:

>| Have you looked inside the unit yet?
>No, I could not pull its rear cover ( part #15 in w-page of url
>attached, has ND embossed on it ) off, after removing 3 nuts.
>
>| There should be a steel fan attached to the rear end of the rotor.
>No fan visible in diagram of this w-page, url attached :
>http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry4=KA4AT&c
>atcgry5=ALTERNATOR+%28DENSO%29
>

>| ND makes probably the most reliable alternators I have ever seen in
>| production.
>Possible ; how this * can survive such heat amazes me.

I had to look twice, with a high power flashlight, inside the back of
my alternator to find the cooling fins, but they are present in my
Vulcan V6 Ford engine alternator. At first it didn't look like there
were any, so you have to look closely. Maybe reading glasses will
help. Mine are right at the coil windings.

Lg

Old June 22nd 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"TE Chea" > wrote in :

>| Have you looked inside the unit yet?
> No, I could not pull its rear cover ( part #15 in w-page of url
> attached, has ND embossed on it ) off, after removing 3 nuts.

Wiggle it some more. 3 nuts is all that holds it on.

>| There should be a steel fan attached to the rear end of the rotor.
>|
> No fan visible in diagram of this w-page, url attached :

<snip>

Go look at your own alternator. Pictures are not always worth a thousand
words. Sometimes they're worth less than zero words.

ND alternators have, not one, but TWO fans.

And on further investigation, it is clear I was wrong in my original guess
that one fan was a puller and one a pusher. BOTH fans are pullers. Both
fans pull air in from their respective ends, then exhaust it radially
through the slots in the perimeter of the alternator casing. It appears
that this is the sole purpose of those slots: Air exhaustion and alternator
cooling.

--
Tegger

Old June 22nd 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 21, 8:35 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>Both fans pull air in from their respective ends, then exhaust it radially
> through the slots in the perimeter of the alternator casing. It appears
> that this is the sole purpose of those slots: Air exhaustion and alternator
> cooling.
>
> --
> Tegger

That might be the original reason for their existence, but I like to
use them as stroboscopic diffusers for my alternator's neon lighting.
What, am I alone here?

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 22nd 07, 12:23 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Comboverfish > wrote in
oups.com:

> On Jun 21, 8:35 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>>Both fans pull air in from their respective ends, then exhaust it
>>radially
>> through the slots in the perimeter of the alternator casing. It
>> appears that this is the sole purpose of those slots: Air exhaustion
>> and alternator cooling.
>>

> That might be the original reason for their existence, but I like to
> use them as stroboscopic diffusers for my alternator's neon lighting.
> What, am I alone here?

You are utterly, tragically alone.

Stroboscopic lighting in an alternator indeed. <snorts in disgust>

Why can't you be like decent, tasteful people and stick to stroboscopic
under-car neon lighting?

--
Tegger

has anyone fitted a servo system to a VW type II? [email protected] VW air cooled 1 December 4th 06 10:49 PM
740i factory fitted phone tonygl BMW 5 May 3rd 05 04:09 PM
anyone fitted the ipod to their bmw? dogbreath BMW 3 November 30th 04 08:42 PM
E39 Waterpump impeller Mel Z. BMW 6 November 3rd 04 07:06 PM
GSF Cat fitted on a 96 A4 Iain Miller Audi 0 October 26th 04 01:08 AM