Mystery Nut--Anyone Identify?

Old May 17th 06, 02:04 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Mystery Nut--Anyone Identify?

Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the following
site?

http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id16.html

It's head is 12 mm across. It has some sort of locking
mechanism. It sheared off its stud, presumably due to age
and the vibrations that resulted while I was grinding off
the lower inboard control arm bolt on the driver's side.
Part of the stud appears in the photo. At the end of the
day, I found it beneath the cardboard on which I lie to do
this work.

I will be inspecting the engine compartment to see if I can
see a similar one.

Old May 17th 06, 02:19 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Mystery photo. How are we to tell?

Old May 17th 06, 02:28 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2006-05-17, Elle > wrote:
> Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the following
> site?

Can you identify the nut who took this terrible picture? As blurry as
this photograph is, it's most likely to remain a mystery, though I'd
venture a wild guess at a nylon-self-locking nut.

> It's head is 12 mm across. It has some sort of locking
> mechanism. It sheared off its stud, presumably due to age
> and the vibrations that resulted while I was grinding off
> the lower inboard control arm bolt on the driver's side.
> Part of the stud appears in the photo. At the end of the
> day, I found it beneath the cardboard on which I lie to do
> this work.

Did you shear this nut off yourself or just find it? Are you sure
it's not really a old metal tire valve stem cap?

nb
Old May 17th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

You didn't say what model Honda you have. But it looks like a manifold nut
to me. On my '00 Accord both the intake and exhaust are 12mm.

. net...

Old May 17th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:

> Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the following
> site?
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id16.html

-------------------------------

I think it's an out-of-focus picture of one of them alien space craft
that they used to publish back in the 70's. Looks a bit taller though
:-(

Tip: On digital cameras that don't have a MACRO or close-up setting, you
can hold a magnifying glass or Grandpa's reading glasses in front of the
lens, and it works just fine.

'Curly'
Old May 17th 06, 04:21 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Beg pardon. It's a 91 Honda Civic. Nasty, thanks for the
suggestion. My Chilton's does indeed show a bunch of exhaust
and intake manifold nuts that seem to fit the bill.
Majestic's online parts site confirms that the exhaust
manifold has nine self-locking nuts. It's also certainly
rusted enough that I would expect it to be either in a
weather path or on the exhaust system somewhere. I'll take
the shroud off tomorrow and confirm. Thank you!

Curly, good tip. I know it's a lousy photo.

RWM, it's some kind of self-locking nut and so is a little
unique looking. I thought someone might recognize it before,
ya know, I discover the hard way and my engine falls apart
or something on the highway later today.

"Nasty" > wrote

Old May 17th 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

It looks like a standard flanged nut with some sort of a PAL nut as
locking insurance.

JT

Old May 17th 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:

snip

> Tip: On digital cameras that don't have a MACRO or close-up setting, you
> can hold a magnifying glass or Grandpa's reading glasses in front of the
> lens, and it works just fine.
>
> 'Curly'

That quite a tip Curly... Who would have known???

I'll pass that onn to my cheap friends who have cheap cameras!

JT

(Yep, you can learn something new every day)
Old May 17th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:
> Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the following
> site?
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id16.html

That would be TeGGeR... oh wait, wrong picture

> It's head is 12 mm across. It has some sort of locking
> mechanism. It sheared off its stud, presumably due to age
> and the vibrations that resulted while I was grinding off
> the lower inboard control arm bolt on the driver's side.
> Part of the stud appears in the photo. At the end of the
> day, I found it beneath the cardboard on which I lie to do
> this work.
>
> I will be inspecting the engine compartment to see if I can
> see a similar one.

Do you have a pic that's not quite so fuzzy?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0620-1, 05/17/2006
Tested on: 5/17/2006 10:20:23 AM

Old May 17th 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Matt Ion" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
>> Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the
>> following site?
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id16.html

> That would be TeGGeR... oh wait, wrong picture

Ha. We're all gearheads in this together. :-)

> Do you have a pic that's not quite so fuzzy?

I'm afraid not. I am looking for a magnifying glass. Little
busy today.