honda quality parts advice

Old January 20th 06, 02:06 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Default does Brembo make good rotors ?

"Elle" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "Elle" > wrote
> Rob
>> > HO2S :: Honda, NTK, Denso, Bosch, Walker

>> = heated oxygen sensor

> P.S. my 91 Civic's OEM sensor is made by Nippon Denso, now
> called IIRC just Denso.

ND *IS* Denso now!
http://www.denso.co.jp/en/

Wish they'd quit changing their name.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 20th 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Rob B" > wrote in
nk.net:

> c'mon yuse guys, need some experience with these parts (crap/not crap)
>
> from these parts what do you recommend as higher quality part or maybe
> what to stay away from or maybe something not listed ?
>
> Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR, Mountain

The cheaper the rotors, the worse the steel. You pays your money and you
takes your chances.

The cheap Chinese **** is the worst. I've seen big potholes flaked off the
friction surfaces of one year-old rotors. Makes the most horrendous
vibration.

Brembo is supposed to be good. Never used them, though.

> Brake pads :: Honda,

The Honda-branded ones are probably Sumitomo (it will say on the back).
Honda also uses Akebono and Nissin depending on the application.

Nissin is now owned by Ferodo.

> Nisin Prem,

If you're referring to NISSIN, Nissin is an OEM to Honda. It's possible the
"premium" pads you list are a similar composition to OEM.

> Akebono,

At least some Accord calipers are Akebono.

> Nisin Silver,

If it were me, I'd go with Nissin and get the most expensive ones, guessing
they're probably closest to OEM.

Old January 20th 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elle" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
>> "Elle" > wrote
>> > P.S. my 91 Civic's OEM sensor is made by Nippon Denso,

> now
>> > called IIRC just Denso.

>> Just ND, actually.

> Actually, the site I posted before lists the manufacturer as
> just "Denso." The packaging for my 91 Civic's sensor says
> just "Denso" on it. The history of Denso Corp. states that
> NipponDenso Co. became Denso Corp. in 1996:
> http://www.denso.co.jp/en/aboutdenso/history/

Already posted a correction.

Old January 20th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elle" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
>> "Elle" > wrote
>> > P.S. my 91 Civic's OEM sensor is made by Nippon Denso,

> now
>> > called IIRC just Denso.

>> Just ND, actually.

> Actually, the site I posted before lists the manufacturer as
> just "Denso." The packaging for my 91 Civic's sensor says
> just "Denso" on it. The history of Denso Corp. states that
> NipponDenso Co. became Denso Corp. in 1996:
> http://www.denso.co.jp/en/aboutdenso/history/

I think what was causing my confusion here is Denso's penchant for putting
their "ND" logo on everything. That has not changed since I can ever
remember. For some reason I started thinking the company name itself was
ND.

Oops.

Old January 20th 06, 02:50 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"TeGGeR®" > wrote
> I think what was causing my confusion here is Denso's

penchant for putting
> their "ND" logo on everything. That has not changed since

I can ever
> remember.

My original, 1991 oxygen sensor was stamped ND. The new,
Denso one (purchased in 2004) was not.

Old January 20th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

TeGGeR® wrote:
> "Rob B" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>

>>c'mon yuse guys, need some experience with these parts (crap/not crap)
>>
>>from these parts what do you recommend as higher quality part or maybe
>>what to stay away from or maybe something not listed ?
>>
>>Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR, Mountain

> The cheaper the rotors, the worse the steel. You pays your money and you
> takes your chances.

Not to nitpick too much, but aren't rotors made of cast iron?

Old January 20th 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Chopface wrote:
> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> "Rob B" > wrote in
>> nk.net:
>>
>>> c'mon yuse guys, need some experience with these parts (crap/not crap)
>>>
>>> from these parts what do you recommend as higher quality part or maybe
>>> what to stay away from or maybe something not listed ?
>>>
>>> Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR, Mountain

>> The cheaper the rotors, the worse the steel. You pays your money and
>> you takes your chances.

> Not to nitpick too much, but aren't rotors made of cast iron?

there are more different kinds of "cast iron" than you can shake a stick
at. add to that the differences in casting quality, machining quality,
material quality, heat treatment quality, etc., and suddenly, yes, you

Old January 20th 06, 04:20 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:
> "Rob B" > wrote
>> c'mon yuse guys, need some experience with these parts

> (crap/not crap)
>> from these parts what do you recommend as higher quality

> part or maybe what
>> to stay away from or maybe something not listed ?
>>
>> Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR,

> Mountain
> Dunno.
>
>> Brake pads :: Honda, Nisin Prem, Akebono, Nisin Silver,

> PBR, NPN, Bendix
>
> In the future I plan to go with strictly Honda OEM. From my
> reading, the "lifetime" pads use material that is harder and
> so lasts longer, but also as a result shortens the life of
> the rotor. The cost of Honda OEM pads (around $40 online for
> my 91 Civic) is low enough that I think they're worth it.

rotors are cheap lifetime brake pads are cheaper! im still running
the OEM pads (51k miles) on my 98 civic hatch. dunno what ill go with
when its time.

been using the lifetime pads on the girlfriends tacoma. she gets about
30k miles out of em, which is bout average for HER style of driving, and
that its a RWD truck w/ A/T.

they seem a little noisier, and make that "grunch" sound easier when
slipping the brake at a light. lots of brake dust, but her OEM pads were
kinda dusty too.

last time i changed em, her brakes were making noise. after taking the
wheels off and pads out they still had some meat on em. called autozone,
they said theyd swap em out regardless. had the receipt, but all they
needed to look up her info was her phone #.

it was a nice feeling getting a set of new brake pads handed to us. they
kept the box for the old ones, of course. but yeah... OEM are a bit better.

over the course of 300k miles, its $400 for OEM vs. $20 for aftermarket.
doesnt factor in the cost of rotors, and if the OEM only lasted 30k and
these still have some meat after 30k, then im guessing theyre a harder
compound.

but after 30k, the OEM ones were cracked and worn down to the backing
plate.
Old January 20th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"SoCalMike" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
> > "Rob B" > wrote
> >> c'mon yuse guys, need some experience with these parts

> > (crap/not crap)
> >> from these parts what do you recommend as higher

quality
> > part or maybe what
> >> to stay away from or maybe something not listed ?
> >>
> >> Front/Rear Rotors :: Honda, Brembo, Winhere, PBR,

> > Mountain
> > Dunno.
> >
> >> Brake pads :: Honda, Nisin Prem, Akebono, Nisin

Silver,
> > PBR, NPN, Bendix
> >
> > In the future I plan to go with strictly Honda OEM. From

my
> > reading, the "lifetime" pads use material that is harder

and
> > so lasts longer, but also as a result shortens the life

of
> > the rotor. The cost of Honda OEM pads (around $40 online

for
> > my 91 Civic) is low enough that I think they're worth

it.

> rotors are cheap lifetime brake pads are cheaper! im

still running
> the OEM pads (51k miles) on my 98 civic hatch.

That's right, rub it in. :-)

> dunno what ill go with
> when its time.
>
> been using the lifetime pads on the girlfriends tacoma.

she gets about
> 30k miles out of em, which is bout average for HER style

of driving, and
> that its a RWD truck w/ A/T.

Ha ha. :-)

> they seem a little noisier, and make that "grunch" sound

easier when
> slipping the brake at a light. lots of brake dust, but her

OEM pads were
> kinda dusty too.
>
> last time i changed em, her brakes were making noise.

after taking the
> wheels off and pads out they still had some meat on em.

called autozone,
> they said theyd swap em out regardless. had the receipt,

but all they
> needed to look up her info was her phone #.
>
> it was a nice feeling getting a set of new brake pads

handed to us. they
> kept the box for the old ones, of course. but yeah... OEM

are a bit better.

> over the course of 300k miles, its $400 for OEM vs. $20

for aftermarket.

Oh, I get it...

My 91 Civic's original, OEM pads were gone after two years,
43k miles.

I hear you about the rotors. We had this discussion with
Steve H. and others not too long ago. I checked then at the
online parts sites and saw that OEM rotors were expensive
but aftermarkets were not, and a few people have since said
aftermarket rotors are just fine. So go ahead and take a cut
on an old rotor; t'ain't nothing to replace them. That was
ultimately my feeling after the whole thread, anyway.

'Course, I'm thinkin' my 91 Civics rotors are going to the
grave with it, given the way I drive (lotta braking with the
manual transmission and engine). I know some here do not
approve.

I paid $42 for "lifetime warranty" Raybestos pads in 2002.
Still have them. I don't think that means much. I would have
paid about the same for Honda OEMs then, but maybe they
wouldn't have lasted as long.

> doesnt factor in the cost of rotors, and if the OEM only

lasted 30k and
> these still have some meat after 30k, then im guessing

theyre a harder
> compound.
>
> but after 30k, the OEM ones were cracked and worn down to

the backing
> plate.

I reckon next brake pad change, and another 50k miles or so,
I'll have more to say, as I do plan to go OEM then.

My Civic's rotor thickness is still plenty in spec, after
173k miles. The other rotor specs (evenness, runout,
scoring) are off or I'm sure a bit off.

Old January 20th 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Chopface > wrote in
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> The cheaper the rotors, the worse the steel. You pays your money and
>> you takes your chances.

> Not to nitpick too much, but aren't rotors made of cast iron?

I don't know how to tell the difference between cast iron and cast steel.
Any tips?