Used sedan recommendation?

Old December 9th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Used sedan recommendation?

I am looking to replace my reliable 10-year-old sedan with a more recent
model and am genuinely interested in recommendations people might have.

For a while I'd considered a Passat, but I've read bad reviews of their
reliability, and a friend with a 2003 Passat has had a lot of trouble
with his.

Although I have a couple things I'm leaning toward, I'd like to hear the
thoughts of others first. My parameters:

- Model year 2003 or more recent
- Roughly $25k US in price
- Top reliability
- Not a car that "everyone" has (eliminating Accord and Camry)
- Good acceleration and drivability
- Runs on regular unleaded preferred
Old December 9th 05, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Dear 2000,

I'm an Auto Broker working for a Denver leasing and sales company. I
assist people in purchasing and selling vehicles everyday and I've
personally owned 37 automobiles, so I thought I would throw in my two
cents for you.

1. My wife loves the VW Passat, but you are right in that VW has
become more of a Mexican auto manufacturer than a German manufacturer.
We often joke around with clients that the "check engine" light is a
feature.

I own a 2000 lime green VW New Beetle GLX that I currently use as a
loaner vehicle for my clients and I'm probably going to sell it shortly
to get a Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe that is more reliable. I still
like VW's and they are aware of their quality control issues. I expect
2006 will bring some big changes. My advice would be that if you're
going to own a VW in your price range make sure that it's "certified"
or that you purchase an extended warranty, so that you don't have to
worry about the "quality" issues.

2. Speaking of Extended Warranty's we offer our clients an independent
insurance company's warranty that doesn't have a pre-existing condition
or excess wear and tear clause. Buying a used vehicle is always a
gamble, but less so if you know what you're doing. I like to point out
to my clients that there are only three "A" rated vehicle manufacturers
for buying an Extended Warranty. Vehicles are rated from A - L and
people are always amazed when they see the difference in prices from an
A vehicle warranty to an L vehicle warranty. This is a real eye opener
from an independent Insurance company that doesn't want to have to pay
claims on your vehicle based on actuarial statistics. In other words,
they know which vehicles are going to have problems.

3. Although, you've isolated your list. You should really decide on
a couple vehicles that you like and test drive them. All vehicles
drive differently, including handling, acceleration, visibilty, and of
course comfort. There are also other considerations. For example, the
Mini Coopers are great small little sports cars, but most people don't
know that they ride on run flats that are only good for about a year
before you need to replace them for about $1,000. I had a client
wanting a Land Rover and I warned them that they could expect as much
as $3,000 a year in maintenance, which was not something they were
interested in having added to their budget.

I'm going to post a list of all the 2005 - 2006 vehicles in the
mid-size sedan that will give you an idea of the selections now
available to you. It also gives an idea of why Ford and GM are having
problems based on all the competition and choices in the marketplace
today. No longer is the Model-T the only selection .

There are some great vehicles in your price range and you have a lot to
choose from. My top picks are an Acura TL Navigation, Infiniti G35,
BMW 5 Series, a Nissan Altima or Maxima. Let me know if you need
assistance and I'm happy to help you find the right vehicle at the
right price. I can ship anywhere in the country. Good luck with your
choice and hopefully this was helpful for you.

2005 Acura RL $49,100
2006 Acura RL $49,300 - $53,100
2005 Acura TL $33,100 - $35,100
2006 Acura TL $33,325 - $35,525
2005 Audi A6 $41,900 - $51,500
2005 BMW 5-Series $41,300 - $55,800
2006 BMW 5-Series $42,500 - $57,400
2005 BMW 6-Series $69,900 - $76,900
2005 Buick Century $22,040
2005 Buick LaCrosse $22,835 - $28,335
2006 Buick LaCrosse $22,935 - $28,435
2005 Cadillac CTS $30,190 - $49,490
2006 Cadillac CTS $30,515 - $50,675
2005 Chevrolet Malibu $19,200 - $24,060
2006 Chevrolet Malibu $17,365 - $24,205
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx $21,465 - $24,610
2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx $21,025 - $24,755
2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo $22,280 - $28,355
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo $21,330 - $27,130
2005 Chrysler Sebring $19,595 - $31,265
2006 Chrysler Sebring $19,805 - $31,475
2005 Dodge Stratus $20,355 - $23,335
2006 Dodge Stratus $20,575 - $23,555
2005 Ford Five Hundred $22,165 - $28,090
2006 Ford Five Hundred $22,230 - $28,230
2006 Ford Fusion $17,145 - $21,710
2005 Ford Taurus $21,200 - $23,130
2005 Ford Thunderbird $38,355 - $44,355
2005 Honda Accord $16,295 - $28,950
2006 Honda Accord $18,225 - $29,400
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid $30,140 - $32,140
2005 Hyundai Sonata $16,449 - $20,299
2006 Hyundai Sonata $17,895 - $22,895
2005 Hyundai XG350 $24,899 - $26,499
2005 Infiniti G35 $30,750 - $33,350
2006 Infiniti G35 $31,050 - $33,650
2006 Infiniti M $40,640 - $49,750
2005 Jaguar S-Type $44,230 - $59,330
2005 Kia Optima $16,195 - $20,195
2006 Kia Optima $16,195 - $20,195
2005 Lexus ES 330 $32,175
2006 Lexus ES 330 $32,300
2006 Lexus GS $43,150 - $51,375
2005 Lincoln LS $32,640 - $43,590
2006 Lincoln LS $39,285
2006 Lincoln Zephyr $28,995
2006 Mazda Mazda5 $17,435 - $18,950
2005 Mazda Mazda6 $18,995 - $26,595
2006 Mazda Mazda6 $19,110 - $27,710
2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 $27,995 - $29,925
2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class $25,850 - $53,900
2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class $29,200 - $54,450
2006 Mercury Milan $18,345 - $22,845
2005 Mercury Montego $24,365 - $28,590
2005 Mercury Sable $21,465 - $24,465
2005 Mitsubishi Galant $18,999 - $26,499
2006 Mitsubishi Galant $19,399 - $26,999
2005 Nissan Altima $17,450 - $29,350
2006 Nissan Altima $17,650 - $29,550
2005 Nissan Maxima $27,500 - $29,750
2006 Nissan Maxima $27,750 - $30,000
2005 Pontiac G6 $20,675 - $23,300
2006 Pontiac G6 $17,365 - $24,210
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix $23,060 - $29,335
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix $22,330 - $28,735
2005 Saab 9-5 $36,250 - $39,950
2006 Saab 9-5 $34,100
2005 Saturn L300 $21,370
2005 Subaru Baja $22,345 - $24,345
2005 Subaru Legacy $21,445 - $28,745
2006 Subaru Legacy $21,695 - $33,995
2006 Subaru Outback $19,195 - $35,695
2005 Suzuki Verona $17,449 - $20,449
2006 Suzuki Verona $18,299 - $20,299
2005 Toyota Camry $18,195 - $25,555
2006 Toyota Camry $18,445 - $25,805
2006 Toyota Camry Solara $19,530 - $30,210
2005 Toyota Prius $21,275
2005 Volkswagen Passat $22,070 - $29,790
2006 Volkswagen Passat $22,950 - $31,900
2005 Volvo S60 $27,585 - $37,735
2006 Volvo S60 $30,270 - $37,920

http://www.coolcarguy.com

Old December 9th 05, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

2000OdysseyLX wrote:

> My parameters:
>
> - Model year 2003 or more recent
> - Roughly $25k US in price
> - Top reliability
> - Not a car that "everyone" has (eliminating Accord and Camry)

Why can't it be a popular car? Is it because you want something that
would be easier to find in a large parking lot? I can't think of any
other good reason, and a desire to express individuality through a car
would be outright pitiful.

Old December 9th 05, 11:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
For example, the
> Mini Coopers are great small little sports cars, but most people don't
> know that they ride on run flats that are only good for about a year
> before you need to replace them for about $1,000.

I'm sorry, but I dont understand what you have tried to convey. Not
that I was going to buy a Mini, but what doe 'they ride on run flats'
mean?

Old December 9th 05, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The 2003 Crown Victoria LX. Lots of room, great reliablity. I get 27
mpg on
the highway. Great exceleration. Under $20k, including tax, title &
license.
bob

Old December 9th 05, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote

> For example, the
> > Mini Coopers are great small little sports cars, but most people don't
> > know that they ride on run flats that are only good for about a year
> > before you need to replace them for about $1,000.

> I'm sorry, but I dont understand what you have tried to convey. Not
> that I was going to buy a Mini, but what doe 'they ride on run flats'
> mean?

Special tires that are designed to still work with no air in them.

- The Run Flat Tyre is a revolutionary new concept in the tyre industry.
- The main advantage of which is to be able to continue to work at pressures
- which would render an ordinary tyre unusable. The tyre utilizes self supporting
- technology which means it is able to support the weight of the vehicle it has
- been specified for. This tyre is still able to function even when there is zero
- pressure in the tyre. It is essential when using a Run Flat tyre that it is operated
- in conjunction with a tyre pressure monitoring system. This will inform the driver
- if they have experienced any loss of pressure within the tyre itself. It also renders
- obsolete the need for a spare wheel. From the point of safety the Run Flat tyre is
- a major step forward and it is estimated that within 3 years 10% of the high
- performance sector of the tyre market with be utilizing Run Flat technology.
- It is precisely this reason that means most of the major tyre manufacturers are
- now investing in Run Flat technology for the future.

Old December 9th 05, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> 2000OdysseyLX wrote:
>
> > My parameters:
> >
> > - Model year 2003 or more recent
> > - Roughly $25k US in price
> > - Top reliability
> > - Not a car that "everyone" has (eliminating Accord and Camry)

> Why can't it be a popular car? Is it because you want something that
> would be easier to find in a large parking lot? I can't think of any
> other good reason, and a desire to express individuality through a car
> would be outright pitiful.

I guess I'm pitiful then...

my rides:

'88 Porsche 944
'55 Studebaker Commander Starlight (slightly modified)
'62 Studebaker Lark Daytona HT
'71 Porsche 914/4 (in boxes)

why would I want to drive a normal, boring blandmobile when something
with some character is easily available?

nate

Old December 9th 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Consumer Reports April edition has the car reliability survey. YOu can
find back issues at public libraries. They also put out an annual car
buyer's guide which has better fuel comsumption data than the EPA.

If you can get hold of Lemon Aid car buyer's guide from Canada it's very
critical. It's recommendations are fewer than Consumers but good. Again,
look for back issues at the public library.

Old December 9th 05, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"MasterBlaster" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> > For example, the
> > > Mini Coopers are great small little sports cars, but most people don't
> > > know that they ride on run flats that are only good for about a year
> > > before you need to replace them for about $1,000.

> > I'm sorry, but I dont understand what you have tried to convey. Not
> > that I was going to buy a Mini, but what doe 'they ride on run flats'
> > mean?

> Special tires that are designed to still work with no air in them.

Thanks...makes sense now. Ive heard of them, but the usage blindsided me.

Old December 9th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> 1. My wife loves the VW Passat, but you are right in that VW has
> become more of a Mexican auto manufacturer than a German manufacturer.
> We often joke around with clients that the "check engine" light is a
> feature.

Well, Ive been researching the more likely candidates for a new car
purchase,
and although my heart was set on the Passat (have owned two with never
a problem), I guess this has helped me make up my mind.

Looks like some sort of Toyota or Honda is in our future.