'06 Civic - Stupid Digital Speedometer

Old September 21st 05, 09:58 PM
Jerzy

I think that the coolest idea would be to have the whole control panel
replaced with an LCD where all controls would be displayed. A driver
would be able to choose between various "themes" (colors, shape, etc.

Old September 22nd 05, 12:04 AM
Bucky

Jerzy wrote:
> I think that the coolest idea would be to have the whole control panel
> replaced with an LCD where all controls would be displayed.

That would be cool. The driver can customize which gauges they want to
see, where to place them, and how about this... real warning messages
instead of cryptic check engine codes.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:29 AM
Gordon McGrew

On 20 Sep 2005 23:26:59 -0700, "Bucky" > wrote:

wrote:
>> what's with the digital
>> speedo? Doesn't Honda learn from the mistakes of others? The digital
>> speedo was foisted on the car buying public 10-15 years ago and was an
>> utter failure

>Wow, I was all ready to correct you because I was so sure that you
>meant "digital odometer" instead of "speedometer". I absolutely agree,
>I cannot believe they used a digital speedometer. Terrible idea. I'm
>hoping that this is just an extra option and not standard.

Not that it justifies putting this thing on a Civic, but doesn't the
S2000 have a digital speedo? I always though that was a bad idea, but
I admit I've never tried it.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:54 AM
T L via CarKB.com

Ya lets get an LCARS system goin, star trek here we come.

Old September 22nd 05, 05:45 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Jerzy wrote:

> I think that the coolest idea would be to have the whole control panel
> replaced with an LCD where all controls would be displayed. A driver
> would be able to choose between various "themes" (colors, shape, etc.

Cool, than we could download special ring tones from the 'Net!
Old September 22nd 05, 05:59 AM
Pars

"Bucky" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Pars remove wrote:
> > have the digital speedometer also calculate your acceleration rate (or
> > 'G')...that way, you've got some hard numbers to confirm your seat of

the
> > pant feel.

> Calculating acceleration rate is irrelevant to having a digital
> speedometer. The speedometer these days are probably digital sensors
> hooked to analog gauges. Even if it was an analog sensor, you can still
> calculate acceleration rate analogly (after all, speed is a rate too).
> I would still want the acceleration gauge to be analog. All fluctuating
> rates are easier to read with an analog-style gauge.
>
> Side note: I remember seeing an analog gauge on a BWM over 10 years ago
> that showed real-time fuel consumption, I thought it was the coolest
> thing in the world.

Nice. Something like that would totally deter us gas conscious speed freaks.

Pars

Old September 22nd 05, 06:08 AM
Pars

"Bucky" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jerzy wrote:
> > I think that the coolest idea would be to have the whole control panel
> > replaced with an LCD where all controls would be displayed.

Considering the drastic reduction in price for LCD monitors. I'm sure that
technology isn't too far off.

Check out Toyota's Endo concept.
http://motortrend.com/autoshows/cove...endo_g08_z.jpg

Pars

Old September 22nd 05, 07:31 AM
Bucky

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> Cool, than we could download special ring tones from the 'Net!

We'd probably start getting pop up ads too! =)

Old September 22nd 05, 01:22 PM
High Tech Misfit

Pars wrote:

> Considering the drastic reduction in price for LCD monitors. I'm sure that
> technology isn't too far off.
>
> Check out Toyota's Endo concept.
> http://motortrend.com/autoshows/cove...endo_g08_z.jpg

So where's the glove box?

That is one scary concept. More electronic **** likely to go screwy.
Old September 22nd 05, 02:36 PM
Casey

Bucky said
> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> > Cool, than we could download special ring tones from the 'Net!

> We'd probably start getting pop up ads too! =)

And nasty computer viruses too!

Just think how much havoc that could cause - false fuel level, wrong
speed, fake oil and water indications, and all kinds of random error
messages.

Casey