'06 Civic - Stupid Digital Speedometer

Old September 21st 05, 12:24 AM

Default '06 Civic - Stupid Digital Speedometer

I really wanted to like the new '06 Civic but the steering wheel and
general interior are something from a Star Wars film and the plastics
seem more at home on a Fisher-Price toy. And what's with the digital
speedo? Doesn't Honda learn from the mistakes of others? The digital
speedo was foisted on the car buying public 10-15 years ago and was an
utter failure. [soap box mode off]. I must be getting old; I just don't
get it....

Old September 21st 05, 04:50 AM
Steven l Umbach

I saw that on pictures on their website and also agree it is a major
disappointment. Analog gauges [or digital gauges that simulate analog
gauges] are much better in that you can generally keep an eye on them in
your field of vision while still paying attention to driving. What the hell
were they thinking? --- Steve

ps.com...

Old September 21st 05, 06:40 AM
Pars

"Steven l Umbach" > wrote in message
news
> I saw that on pictures on their website and also agree it is a major
> disappointment. Analog gauges [or digital gauges that simulate analog
> gauges] are much better in that you can generally keep an eye on them in
> your field of vision while still paying attention to driving. What the

hell
> were they thinking? --- Steve

I think the digital speedometer would be easier to read, oppose to an
analog. However, in the case of the tachometer, going analog is a must!.

If it wasn't for all the speed traps around the city, the speedometer would
be a redundant equipment in my car, while the tachometer would be getting
all the attention.

Pars

Old September 21st 05, 07:30 AM
Bucky

Pars (remove) wrote:
> I think the digital speedometer would be easier to read, oppose to an
> analog.

No, absolutely not. I remember renting a Cadillac in the 80s with a
digital speedometer. I was cool for the first 15 minutes, then the
novelty quickly wore off. If you ever drive with a digital speedometer,
you'll quickly find out why it is harder to read. When you drive, the
readout is continuously changing. It's very difficult and annoying to
try to read numbers while they are changing!

Old September 21st 05, 07:36 AM
Bucky

Pars remove wrote:
> have the digital speedometer also calculate your acceleration rate (or
> 'G')...that way, you've got some hard numbers to confirm your seat of the
> pant feel.

Calculating acceleration rate is irrelevant to having a digital
speedometer. The speedometer these days are probably digital sensors
hooked to analog gauges. Even if it was an analog sensor, you can still
calculate acceleration rate analogly (after all, speed is a rate too).
I would still want the acceleration gauge to be analog. All fluctuating
rates are easier to read with an analog-style gauge.

Side note: I remember seeing an analog gauge on a BWM over 10 years ago
that showed real-time fuel consumption, I thought it was the coolest
thing in the world.

Old September 21st 05, 06:08 PM
High Tech Misfit

Pars wrote:

> "High Tech Misfit" > wrote in message
>> I seem to remember riding in a 1970s Lincoln that had a digital instrument
>> cluster. However, I was only a kid at the time, so if I am wrong, then I

> am
>> probably thinking of something else at some other time. :-/

> The 1988 or so, Lincoln had a digital speedometer. I thought it was cool, at
> the time.

I found the info I was looking for regarding that Lincoln I rode in, and I
was almost correct. It was an early 1980s Mark VI coupe. According to this
site, the digital instrument cluster first appeared in the 1980 model.

http://www.geocities.com/fivelincoln...tcleIndex.html