2004 accord - ATF and engine oil change

Old September 23rd 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

Default 2004 accord - ATF and engine oil change

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Ah, the coupe. You never said. Page 73 is for the sedan.

Yes, in fact I did, in the first sentence of my first post...

> Check the Index under "M" for "Maintenance Required Indicator". The online
> manual shows it to be page 63, but your paper manual may be different. You
> may need to look in your own Index, which you evidently haven't done up to
> now.

Yes, you are right - I did not look in the Index!
I was expecting to find it in the chapter dedicated to the maintenance.

Thank you very much!

Old September 26th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

The Honda ATF is either a synthetic or synthetic blend fluid. `$6 is
typical for that type of fluid, such as the new Dexron VI used in the
excellent 6T/6L LePelletier designs. The blends typically have > 2x
the life than conventional, I'm sure fully syn even more.

BTW, GM no longer licenses the older Dexron names. That's why you see
the "Dexron compatible" on fluids where the II/III were but no longer
any Dexron II Dexron III etc.

Pep Boys or Autozone frequently sell 5 qts Mobil-1 plus a Mobil-1
filter (AZ uses Bosch) for $25. Save a filter's cost is all. Not bad.

Old September 26th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> The Honda ATF is either a synthetic or synthetic blend fluid. `$6 is
> typical for that type of fluid, such as the new Dexron VI used in the
> excellent 6T/6L LePelletier designs. The blends typically have > 2x
> the life than conventional, I'm sure fully syn even more.
>
> BTW, GM no longer licenses the older Dexron names.

it's a license thing? i thought it was just that gm now have type III
and as far as they're concerned, it out-performs type II in all respects
- everybody uses planetary transmissions, right?

except that honda transmissions don't use planetary gears, have their
regulators set for type II, and type III makes it shift like someone
just rear-ended you.

Old September 26th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

> wrote in message
> The Honda ATF is either a synthetic or synthetic blend fluid. `$6 is
> typical for that type of fluid, such as the new Dexron VI used in the
> excellent 6T/6L LePelletier designs. The blends typically have > 2x
> the life than conventional, I'm sure fully syn even more.

Do you know for the fact that honda ATF Z1 is synthetic or you are just
guessing?

> Pep Boys or Autozone frequently sell 5 qts Mobil-1 plus a Mobil-1
> filter (AZ uses Bosch) for $25. Save a filter's cost is all. Not bad.

I am not sure if the filter they give you is that good, but maybe...
I have already purchased a package of 6 filters + 6 crush washers from
Honda, so I am not interested in filters, just bottom line price for the
oil... Walmart has a 5 quarts bottle @ 23.75+tax or something like that, so
the total is about $25 gross.

I was thinking I could get it cheaper if I buy more quantity... I am unable
to find a better deal.

Old September 28th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>> The Honda ATF is either a synthetic or synthetic blend fluid. `$6 is
>> typical for that type of fluid, such as the new Dexron VI used in the
>> excellent 6T/6L LePelletier designs. The blends typically have > 2x
>> the life than conventional, I'm sure fully syn even more.

> Do you know for the fact that honda ATF Z1 is synthetic or you are just
> guessing?

I have done some research and it looks like Honda's "ATF Z1" is NOT
synthetic fluid: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987 and
compares rather poor to other fluids... So the price in this light seems to
be a rip off.

Old September 29th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:
> "Pszemol" > wrote in message
>> > wrote in message
>>> The Honda ATF is either a synthetic or synthetic blend fluid. `$6 is
>>> typical for that type of fluid, such as the new Dexron VI used in the
>>> excellent 6T/6L LePelletier designs. The blends typically have > 2x
>>> the life than conventional, I'm sure fully syn even more.

>> Do you know for the fact that honda ATF Z1 is synthetic or you are
>> just guessing?

> I have done some research and it looks like Honda's "ATF Z1" is NOT
> synthetic fluid: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987 and
> compares rather poor to other fluids... So the price in this light seems
> to be a rip off.

eh? your cite specifically states:

"Based on the results, one can conclude that each ATF is uniquely
formulated to specific OEM requirements. In addition, the results show
that a customer should not deviate from the automatic transmission fluid
specified in the vehicle's owners manual."

nowhere does it mention honda or how honda-spec atf compares.

was your cite a typo or did you just not bother to read it?

as for you trying to bleat about "synthetic", do you know what that word
even means? do you understand how it applies to auto lubricants?

Old September 29th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> Pszemol wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you know for the fact that honda ATF Z1 is synthetic or you are just
>>> guessing?

>> I have done some research and it looks like Honda's "ATF Z1" is NOT
>> synthetic fluid: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987 and
>> compares rather poor to other fluids... So the price in this light seems
>> to be a rip off.

> eh? your cite specifically states:
>
> "Based on the results, one can conclude that each ATF is uniquely
> formulated to specific OEM requirements. In addition, the results show
> that a customer should not deviate from the automatic transmission fluid
> specified in the vehicle's owners manual."
>
> nowhere does it mention honda or how honda-spec atf compares.
>
> was your cite a typo or did you just not bother to read it?

You just read the abstract only. Please read the full paper, Einstein!

> as for you trying to bleat about "synthetic", do you know what that word
> even means? do you understand how it applies to auto lubricants?

?? Read the full story and then we will come back to this, ok?
If you still want to come back here :-)

Old September 29th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Pszemol wrote:

>>> I have done some research and it looks like Honda's "ATF Z1" is NOT
>>> synthetic fluid: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987 and
>>> compares rather poor to other fluids... So the price in this light
>>> seems to be a rip off.

>> eh? your cite specifically states:
>>
>> "Based on the results, one can conclude that each ATF is uniquely
>> formulated to specific OEM requirements. In addition, the results show
>> that a customer should not deviate from the automatic transmission
>> fluid specified in the vehicle's owners manual."
>>
>> nowhere does it mention honda or how honda-spec atf compares.
>>
>> was your cite a typo or did you just not bother to read it?

> You just read the abstract only. Please read the full paper, Einstein!
>
>> as for you trying to bleat about "synthetic", do you know what that
>> word even means? do you understand how it applies to auto lubricants?

> ?? Read the full story and then we will come back to this, ok?
> If you still want to come back here :-)

there you go with the insults again - now you can go on your denial rant.

as for the alleged content of the paper, there is no mention of what you
say in your cite - you need to dig up a publicly accessible cite if you
want to use it in an argument.

oh, and try and figure out what "synthetic" is and means while you're
about it.
Old September 29th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> You just read the abstract only. Please read the full paper, Einstein!
>>
>>> as for you trying to bleat about "synthetic", do you know what that word
>>> even means? do you understand how it applies to auto lubricants?

>> ?? Read the full story and then we will come back to this, ok?
>> If you still want to come back here :-)

> there you go with the insults again - now you can go on your denial rant.

Not again, this was the first time. And don't you tell me you did not
deserve it: I gave you the link to the professional paper and you read only
the abstract and you are surprised that in the abstract there is nothing
about ATF being not synthetic... Duh!

> as for the alleged content of the paper, there is no mention of what you
> say in your cite - you need to dig up a publicly accessible cite if you
> want to use it in an argument.

If you cannot afford to get the full paper maybe you should ask your mommy
to rise your allowance...

> oh, and try and figure out what "synthetic" is and means while you're
> about it.

Read the paper and you will learn that ATF Z1 is not synthetic.

Old September 30th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> You just read the abstract only. Please read the full paper, Einstein!

>>> ?? Read the full story and then we will come back to this, ok?
>>> If you still want to come back here :-)

>> there you go with the insults again - now you can go on your denial rant.

> Not again, this was the first time. And don't you tell me you did not
> deserve it:

google still too hard for you?

> I gave you the link to the professional paper and you read
> only the abstract and you are surprised that in the abstract there is
> nothing about ATF being not synthetic... Duh!

dude, you gave a link to an abstract that in no apparent way
corroborates what you say. if you think paying to read something, based
on your track record, without apparent connection or relevance is smart,
you have serious problems with either english comprehension or grasping
reality. besides, if what you say is true, you can use google, cite a
real live public link, and prove it! not hard to do if you know what
you're talking about, right?

>> as for the alleged content of the paper, there is no mention of what
>> you say in your cite - you need to dig up a publicly accessible cite
>> if you want to use it in an argument.

> If you cannot afford to get the full paper maybe you should ask your
> mommy to rise your allowance...

see above.

>> oh, and try and figure out what "synthetic" is and means while you're
>> about it.

> Read the paper and you will learn that ATF Z1 is not synthetic.

so what?

your cite says:

"Based on the results, one can conclude that each ATF is uniquely
formulated to specific OEM requirements. In addition, the results show
that a customer should not deviate from the automatic transmission fluid
specified in the vehicle's owners manual."

how much more clear can that be? if a specific atf is:

1. uniquely formulated to meet a manufacturer's requirements

2. detrimental if not used

why would you even /consider/ some random "synthetic" - especially if
you apparently don't even know what it is?

99 Accord lx timing belt change Nick Honda 4 November 25th 05 09:17 PM
91 Accord - "Change oil" indicator is on but.... [email protected] Honda 13 May 15th 05 05:06 PM
accord trans fluid change karla Honda 6 February 28th 05 02:57 AM
Oil change 2004 Vue John Sloan Saturn 23 September 2nd 04 02:26 PM
2004 VUE V6 AWD - looking for oil change help jjp Saturn 1 June 21st 04 04:24 AM