'01 M3 axle hop

Old September 16th 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

Default '01 M3 axle hop

Hi All. What can be done to reduce or prevent axle (wheel) hopping during a
holeshot start? It's pretty bad through first gear on my 2001 M3 Couple. TIA

Old September 16th 08, 11:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

hello ,
what exactly is " axle hopping " ?
is your " DSC " switched on ?+
Dick

Old September 17th 08, 06:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

The DSC is switched off. The holeshot I am talking about is a drag racing
sort of start. Rev the motor a bit and dump the clutch. When a lot of
throttle is used and tires start to spin, at a certain point the rear wheels
will begin to bounce. Sometimes it will actually shake the trans into
neutral (from first gear). In the old days, "traction bars" were used to
control this sort of thing.

Old September 17th 08, 08:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dr Dolittle

I think you need anti-tramp bars - should be available from your local
"hop-up kit" store (sic)

And letting the tires (sic) down a bit might help ...

Why's it called a holeshot start???

Old September 17th 08, 03:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Planar1 > wrote:
>Hi All. What can be done to reduce or prevent axle (wheel) hopping during a
>holeshot start? It's pretty bad through first gear on my 2001 M3 Couple. TIA

Is your goal to prevent hopping completely so you can get off the line
faster, or are you only worried about the shear torque produced damaging
your differential?

Have you already got good tires on? Is your positraction working?
--scott
Old September 17th 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Planar1 > wrote:
>The DSC is switched off. The holeshot I am talking about is a drag racing
>sort of start. Rev the motor a bit and dump the clutch. When a lot of
>throttle is used and tires start to spin, at a certain point the rear wheels
>will begin to bounce. Sometimes it will actually shake the trans into
>neutral (from first gear). In the old days, "traction bars" were used to
>control this sort of thing.

Traction bars don't really control the hop much, but they keep you from
tearing your rear end apart when it hops.

Are you using slicks?
--scott

Old September 17th 08, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

The posi works perfectly. The tires are Goodyear F1s (I think that's what
they are called). I'm not running slicks. Not looking for a true drag racing
set-up. All I want to do is have "fun" a little more safely so not to damage
the suspension or anything else.

Old September 18th 08, 10:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

Boy racer "Planar1" > wrote in message
> Hi All. What can be done to reduce or prevent axle (wheel) hopping during
> a holeshot start? It's pretty bad through first gear on my 2001 M3 Couple.
> TIA

Switch the DSC on.

Old September 18th 08, 01:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

I don't want the DSC on. I want to play! Isn't that one reason we drive M3s?

Old September 18th 08, 06:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

No that's the reason one buys US cars with huge V8's and pathetic dynamics.

TJ axle nut size snowboardripper Jeep 6 September 25th 07 09:33 PM
05-07 axle backs ??? Big Don Ford Mustang 3 April 8th 07 12:06 AM
Another TJ broken axle. L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 2 December 23rd 04 04:11 AM
Another TJ broken axle. L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 0 December 23rd 04 03:47 AM
AMC 20 Axle Break CJ5 on 35's Jeep 16 December 12th 04 07:39 PM