speedometer erratic when cold....

Old January 17th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
freeman, daniel l.

Default speedometer erratic when cold....

94 XLT 4x4, auto, 122k miles
Just curious why my speedometer goes nuts in the cold after all these years?
Old age, maybe?? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
dan

Old January 24th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
freeman, daniel l.

BIG THANKS, AC!
df
"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:22:36 -0500, "freeman, daniel l."
> > wrote:
>
>>94 XLT 4x4, auto, 122k miles
>>Just curious why my speedometer goes nuts in the cold after all these
>>years?
>>Old age, maybe?? Thoughts?
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>dan
>>

> The first thing I'd do would be to pull the cable out of the speedo
> cable tube and clean and grease it. Every car I've had with a "nutz"
> speedo has been cured by that. When it's cold the cable binds in the
> sheath and winds up and then releases making the needle jump
> erratically. As you drive it the friction warms up the cable inside
> and softens the old, hard grease and it smooths out till it cools off.

'91 Honda Accord rough acceleration, erratic speedometer [email protected] Honda 5 May 18th 07 06:51 AM
'95 Golf Cabrio -- Speedometer erratic, deceleration & radio on without key ChrisCabrio VW water cooled 2 April 16th 07 12:08 AM
2001 Honda Civic issues 1) Front End Clicking 2) Speedometer erratic 3) Corrosion on uncarriage warrioratc Honda 10 February 7th 07 06:23 PM
Speedometer Erratic Alex Ford Explorer 2 May 6th 06 02:43 AM
Erratic cold start smoking Phil Technology 0 February 26th 06 06:22 AM