Behold the CityCAT air car, powered by compressed air.

Old May 30th 07, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Dan G

Default Behold the CityCAT air car, powered by compressed air.

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
> Do you have any particular reason for concern about battery disposal
> (recycling) as currently carried out? In the US we go through roughly a
> hundred million lead-acid car and truck batteries every year, and those

are
> about as toxic as batteries come. I think if it were a problem we'd be
> hearing about it.

" I think if it were a problem we'd be hearing about it."

Uh, huh? What makes you think that? Certainly not any historical precedence.

In any case, whether it be fuel cells or batteries, disposal is a problem
that can be solved as a part of the cost of the energy. The same arguments
apply in either case.

Old May 30th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Eeyore

Jeremy wrote:

> "Eeyore" > wrote in message
> > Dan G wrote:
> >> Nevertheless, this type of thinking is what will save us from fossil
> >> fuels.

> > No it won't.
> >
> > They are *less* efficient that EVs, so need MORE energy to keep them
> > running.
> >
> >> The compressed air cars are doing pretty well,

> > Where exactly ? Except in your fantasies ?
> >
> >> and if you use solar power to charge them up, it's free energy.

> > Damn you're an ignorant prick of the first order. Use the same cutesy
> > 'solar energy' in EVs and you'll easily go *TWICE* as far - probably more >

> since EVs can reclaim energy by regenerative braking.
>
> As long as they are still viable, it doesn't matter that they're less
> efficient than EV's,

Efficiency is *everything*. You can make alleged 'green' cars that are less
efficient than current ICE powered ones too such as hydrogen powered ones but it
makes no sense because that energy still has to come from somewhere. Usually
somewhere with a big chimney.

> because the environmental impact is far less than fuel
> burning cars, and even EV's.

How the heck do you think the air gets compressed in the first place ? Just
because it has no tailpipe emissions doesn't make a car 'green'.

> I personally think that if it is a viable
> technology, then it is far more attractive than EV's even if they require
> more refills.

Well, you're wrong. It will sink without trace. Compressed air vehicles a
re used only where they have specific advantages such as in potentially
explosive environments like mines.

> Although EV's are potentially a safer alternative to fuel
> burning cars they still have a large environmental impact. The problem is
> that it is far down the road and not as visible to the public. Has anyone
> ever thought of what kind of negative impact the manufacturing of fuel cells
> has, or what the impact of disposal will have? What will be done with all
> the chemicals?

What chemicals ?

> I think EV's are a short term solution, but in the long term
> it's a dangerous technology.

Dangerous in what way ?

Graham

Old May 30th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"Dan G" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
>> Do you have any particular reason for concern about battery disposal
>> (recycling) as currently carried out? In the US we go through roughly a
>> hundred million lead-acid car and truck batteries every year, and those

> are
>> about as toxic as batteries come. I think if it were a problem we'd be
>> hearing about it.
>>

> " I think if it were a problem we'd be hearing about it."
>
> Uh, huh? What makes you think that? Certainly not any historical
> precedence.

How about the thousands of reporters who are drooling to find such a story
and the lawyers waiting to get rich off it? Think Love Canal....

Nike

Old May 31st 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Jeremy[_5_]

I think that the issues pollution of gasoline powered vehicles shadow that
of batteries and that's why it's not typically discussed. It will only be
at the forefront of the consumers mind when they don't have to worry about
fuel burning cars. I do agree with you about the noise for sure. I saw
the demo and was surprised to hear how noisy it was. That being said, I
don't concider noise a drawback. After all we've been living with noisy
diesel engines for a long time.

And I do agree that even if air cars are viable, they are still a ways off
in terms of perfecting the technology. I think companies are talking about
it now because they're trying to drum up interest for investor dollars.

Old May 31st 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Jeremy[_5_]

> Efficiency is *everything*. You can make alleged 'green' cars that are
> less
> efficient than current ICE powered ones too such as hydrogen powered ones
> but it
> makes no sense because that energy still has to come from somewhere.
> Usually
> somewhere with a big chimney.

If efficiency was everything, everybody would by buying a honda, VW or
toyota, yet by some miracle GM and Ford are still hanging in there with
their SUV's and inefficient engines. In fact, by some accounts, engines
have become less efficient in the last 20 years.

> How the heck do you think the air gets compressed in the first place ?
> Just
> because it has no tailpipe emissions doesn't make a car 'green'.

I never said that no tailpipe emissions makes a car green. But It's likely
far 'greener', at least in this case.

> What chemicals ?

What chemicals? Uhhh... there's lots used in batteries. Batteries are not
exactly environmentally friendly. Not the battery itself, the manufacturing
process, or the disposal.

> Well, you're wrong. It will sink without trace. Compressed air vehicles a
> re used only where they have specific advantages such as in potentially
> explosive environments like mines.

Ahh, the definitive answer! Thanks for that. Stop stating your opinion as
fact.

>> I think EV's are a short term solution, but in the long term
>> it's a dangerous technology.

> Dangerous in what way ?

I consider negative environmental impact dangerous.

Old May 31st 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Eeyore

Jeremy wrote:

> I saw the demo and was surprised to hear how noisy it was. That being said,
> don't concider noise a drawback. After all we've been living with noisy
> diesel engines for a long time.

The diesels fitted in modern European cars are a lot quieter than Americans will
be used to hearing.

Diesel powered cars are around 50% of all new sales in some European countries
now.

Graham

Old June 2nd 07, 07:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Jeremy[_5_]

A friend told me that as well. Not sure why this is the case.

Old June 2nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Eeyore

Jeremy wrote:

> "Eeyore" wrote
> > Jeremy wrote:
> >
> >> I saw the demo and was surprised to hear how noisy it was. That being
> >> said, I don't concider noise a drawback. After all we've been living with

> noisy
> >> diesel engines for a long time.

> > The diesels fitted in modern European cars are a lot quieter than
> > Americans will be used to hearing.
> >
> > Diesel powered cars are around 50% of all new sales in some European
> > countries now.
> >
> >A friend told me that as well. Not sure why this is the case.

Because they're cheaper to run of course.

Graham

Old June 2nd 07, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

"Jeremy" > wrote in message
>A friend told me that as well. Not sure why this is the case.
>
> "Eeyore" > wrote in message
>>

>> Jeremy wrote:
>>
>>> I saw the demo and was surprised to hear how noisy it was. That being
>>> said,
>>> don't concider noise a drawback. After all we've been living with noisy
>>> diesel engines for a long time.

>> The diesels fitted in modern European cars are a lot quieter than
>> Americans will
>> be used to hearing.
>>
>> Diesel powered cars are around 50% of all new sales in some European
>> countries
>> now.
>>
>> Graham

I am hearing conflicting reports, with Europeans mostly saying the noise
level ouside the cars is about the same, reduced a bit by under-hood
measures to dampen the racket. Noise levels inside the vehicle are much
reduced.

In the US we have mostly direct injection with conventional injector pumps.
In Europe diesels are going to common rail injection, the high pressure
counterpart of our multiport fuel injection for gasoline engines. The
advantages in startup and response are supposed to be impressive, and the
injector pump is much quieter. Not much can be done about the main source of
the characteristic diesel rattle, though. The high combustion pressures are
part of the nature of the beast.

Disclaimer - most of this is from a few months in a diesel forum a couple of
years ago. It may be outdated or have limited perspective.

Mike

Old June 2nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
jim beam

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "Jeremy" > wrote in message
>> A friend told me that as well. Not sure why this is the case.

>>> The diesels fitted in modern European cars are a lot quieter than
>>> Americans will
>>> be used to hearing.
>>>
>>> Diesel powered cars are around 50% of all new sales in some European
>>> countries
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Graham
>>>

> I am hearing conflicting reports, with Europeans mostly saying the noise
> level ouside the cars is about the same, reduced a bit by under-hood
> measures to dampen the racket. Noise levels inside the vehicle are much
> reduced.
>
> In the US we have mostly direct injection with conventional injector pumps.
> In Europe diesels are going to common rail injection, the high pressure
> counterpart of our multiport fuel injection for gasoline engines. The
> advantages in startup and response are supposed to be impressive, and the
> injector pump is much quieter. Not much can be done about the main source of
> the characteristic diesel rattle, though. The high combustion pressures are
> part of the nature of the beast.

as i understand it, common rail/electronic injection control makes
diesels /much/ quieter though. you can get up to 5 injection events per
ignition cycle - one to start the flame, and subsequent events to keep
the process going. since the fuel is not all exploding at once, and
burning fuel is much quieter than igniting fuel, there's subsequently
much reduced diesel "knock".