recommended antifreeze?

Old November 17th 04, 08:22 PM
elmo

Is it alright to use the orange stuff even if you have the old green stuff
in there a bit? Are the both compatiable?

Old November 17th 04, 08:22 PM
elmo

Old November 18th 04, 01:28 AM
SoCalMike

elmo wrote:
> Is it alright to use the orange stuff even if you have the old green stuff
> in there a bit? Are the both compatiable?

i wouldnt risk it.

id drain it all, fill with tap water, run for a few minutes until its up
to temperature, (heater on), drain it out. if its not clear enough,
refill with tap and do it again.

now, if ya REALLY wanna be anal, use distilled for the whole process,
but i dont think 5 mins of tap water going through is going to do any harm.

once its all coming out hot and clear, refill w/orange and distilled
water, 50/50 mix.
Old November 18th 04, 01:28 AM
SoCalMike

Old November 20th 04, 12:58 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

JM wrote:

> By the way, for the poster making the disposal comment, it is
> appropriate to pour the used coolant down the drain. The treatment
> facility can deal with it just fine.
>
> JM

This is true and even here in Austin, the enviro capital of the world,
that is the policy for individual vehicle owners and small shops.

Letting it run on the ground is a BIG no no though...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old November 20th 04, 12:58 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Old November 20th 04, 01:01 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Caroline wrote:

> "JM" > wrote
> snip
> > By the way, for the poster making the disposal comment, it is
> > appropriate to pour the used coolant down the drain. The treatment
> > facility can deal with it just fine.

> Whoa. Everywhere I've lived my research showed this was prohibited by law.
> Folks asking were told to put it in bottles and directed to recycle
> facilities. These fortunately have sprouted up in abundance, thanks to laws
> and the for-profit motive.

The big no-no is to allow antifreeze to go into storm sewers (which for
the most part are separate from sanitary sewers) by being drained on the
ground which in turn can affect streams and lakes.

However, treating relatively small amounts of antifreeze is routine for
most modern waste water treatment facilities...

Old November 20th 04, 01:01 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Old November 30th 04, 08:35 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, says...

>Is there a commonly available antifreeze that's sufficiently
>aluminum-engine-friendly for a 94 Civic, or is genuine Honda antifreeze
>the only way to go?

According to Prestone their new long life coolant can be used in Hondas.
----------------
Alex

Old November 30th 04, 08:35 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, says...

>Is there a commonly available antifreeze that's sufficiently
>aluminum-engine-friendly for a 94 Civic, or is genuine Honda antifreeze
>the only way to go?

According to Prestone their new long life coolant can be used in Hondas.
Alex

Recommended Alfa Garage in Essex Scott McGregor Alfa Romeo 2 November 8th 04 07:02 PM
Antifreeze? Richard Chrysler 24 October 17th 04 03:41 PM
Recommended dealers in Seattle area Ed Presson BMW 1 September 20th 04 04:23 AM
Recommended Alfa Garage Nr Glasgow Mr Flipflops Alfa Romeo 3 July 3rd 04 03:03 PM