Ford Racing Mustang GT Wins At Daytona

Old February 28th 05, 07:15 AM
351CJ

Default Ford Racing Mustang GT Wins At Daytona

With less than one day's experience behind the wheel of his new Ford
Racing Mustang GT race car, car owner and driver Tom Nastasi, with
co-driver Ian James, claimed victory in the opening race of the 2005
Grand-Am Cup season at Daytona International Speedway. The win marks the
first race and first win for Ford Racing's Mustang GT race car built off
the new 2005 Mustang GT that is currently available in Ford dealerships.

http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...2w_gt_daytona/
Old February 28th 05, 02:58 PM
Backyard Mechanic

351CJ opined in :

> With less than one day's experience behind the wheel of his new Ford
> Racing Mustang GT race car, car owner and driver Tom Nastasi, with
> co-driver Ian James, claimed victory in the opening race of the 2005
> Grand-Am Cup season at Daytona International Speedway. The win marks the
> first race and first win for Ford Racing's Mustang GT race car built off
> the new 2005 Mustang GT that is currently available in Ford dealerships.
>
> http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...2w_gt_daytona/

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...ar-Daytona.htm

if you want wallpaper, and the original press release

Cant believ how hard it is to find NEWS on the freaking race.
Like, um what OTHER mfrs were there and who was the real competition in the
race
Old February 28th 05, 03:05 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in :

> 351CJ opined in :
>
>> With less than one day's experience behind the wheel of his new Ford
>> Racing Mustang GT race car, car owner and driver Tom Nastasi, with
>> co-driver Ian James, claimed victory in the opening race of the 2005
>> Grand-Am Cup season at Daytona International Speedway. The win marks
>> the first race and first win for Ford Racing's Mustang GT race car
>> built off the new 2005 Mustang GT that is currently available in Ford
>> dealerships.
>>
>> http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...2w_gt_daytona/

> http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...Car-Daytona.ht
>
> if you want wallpaper, and the original press release
>
> Cant believ how hard it is to find NEWS on the freaking race.
> Like, um what OTHER mfrs were there and who was the real competition in
> the race

Ah... duh!

HERE it is:
http://www.grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=3626

"Nastasi and James led a 1-2 sweep for the new Mustang, as David Empringham
and Scott Maxwell came home second in the No. 55 Multimatic Motorsports Ford
Mustang in an eventful race.
On the second lap, Empringham rocketed past Justin Marks in the No. 96 Turner
Motorsport BMW M3 and into the lead in the chicane at the end of the Daytona
Superstretch."

Old March 1st 05, 05:54 PM

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

> > 351CJ opined in :

The win marks
> >> the first race and first win for Ford Racing's Mustang GT race car
> >> built off the new 2005 Mustang GT that is currently available in

Ford
> >> dealerships.

> HERE it is:
> http://www.grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=3626
>
> "Nastasi and James led a 1-2 sweep for the new Mustang, as David

Empringham
> and Scott Maxwell came home second in the No. 55 Multimatic

Motorsports Ford
> Mustang in an eventful race.
> On the second lap, Empringham rocketed past Justin Marks in the No.

96 Turner
> Motorsport BMW M3 and into the lead in the chicane at the end of the

Daytona
> Superstretch."

I'd never heard of this Grand Am series. Imagine, Pontiac takes a name
-- Trans Am -- of a series in which it never won a race, morphs it into
a made up name -- Grand Am -- that means nothing, and a sanctioning
body picks it up as the name for a new series.

Anyway, checking out the Grand Am rules, I see this series is very
similar to the original Trans Am in that stock unibodies must be
retained and that very few mods are allowed.

HOWEVER, what's the deal with the " M6007-R50P" 5.0 liter engines being
mandatory in the Stangs? I can find no reference to that part number
anywhere on the web, but I do know that five liters is a substantial
boost -- 25 cubic inches -- over the standard GT's 4.6. At the same
time the BMW M3's are stuck with a 3.2 liter six (although they can do
a .030 overbore). With a 110 cubic inch advantage it would be pretty
embarassing if the Mustangs could not "rocket" past the M3's at the top
end of a big straightaway.

180 Out

Old March 1st 05, 08:09 PM
Wound Up

> Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>

>>>351CJ opined in :

> The win marks

> Ford

>>HERE it is:

http://www.grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=3626

>>"Nastasi and James led a 1-2 sweep for the new Mustang, as David

> Empringham
>
>>and Scott Maxwell came home second in the No. 55 Multimatic

> Motorsports Ford
>
>>Mustang in an eventful race.
>>On the second lap, Empringham rocketed past Justin Marks in the No.

> 96 Turner
>
>>Motorsport BMW M3 and into the lead in the chicane at the end of the

> Daytona
>
>>Superstretch."

> I'd never heard of this Grand Am series.

Well, now you have.

Imagine, Pontiac takes a name
> -- Trans Am -- of a series in which it never won a race, morphs it into
> a made up name -- Grand Am -- that means nothing, and a sanctioning
> body picks it up as the name for a new series.

You did imagine it. You're speculating. And Grand Am obviously means
Grand American.

The racing association did not take its name from Pontiac's little
sporty car, but Pontiac did use the Trans Am name to sell cars because
of Trans Am racing. Ask them if this is the origin of name of their
series; I'm sure they'd enjoy a good laugh.

> Anyway, checking out the Grand Am rules, I see this series is very
> similar to the original Trans Am in that stock unibodies must be
> retained and that very few mods are allowed.
>
> HOWEVER, what's the deal with the " M6007-R50P" 5.0 liter engines being
> mandatory in the Stangs? I can find no reference to that part number
> anywhere on the web, but I do know that five liters is a substantial
> boost -- 25 cubic inches -- over the standard GT's 4.6.

It's actually 21 cubic inches; 302 vs. 281. The 5.0 is actually a 4.9.
It displaces 4942cc.

At the same
> time the BMW M3's are stuck with a 3.2 liter six (although they can do
> a .030 overbore). With a 110 cubic inch advantage it would be pretty
> embarassing if the Mustangs could not "rocket" past the M3's at the top
> end of a big straightaway.

That comparison isn't terribly meaningful, considering nothing else is
held equal. Road racing is not antiseptic numerical analysis anyway.

Did you read these sections?

"It was the debut race for the 2005 Ford Mustang GT, and was the first
Grand-Am Cup Series overall victory for a Mustang of any generation. "

--

"The team elected to forego changing tires on its final pit stop, which
proved to make the difference in the race."

And from here-

http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...2w_gt_daytona/

"Two other Ford Racing Mustang GT race cars were campaigned, with 11th
place captured by the # 37 JBS Motorsports car with drivers Jim and Bret
Seafuse, and 22nd place by the #10 Champion Motorsports car with drivers
Brad Lehmann and BJ Zacharias."

These were not 2005 Mustang GTs, but they still had a sizable
displacement advantage over the BMWs and Porsches. The 11th place car
was a Cobra. There were obviously other reasons why the 2005s were the
quickest in the field.

Grand Am racing debuted in 1999, meaning that five model years of
Mustangs raced previously. Displacement advantage does not tell the
story.

Furthermore, the No. 3 and 4 finishers, both BMW M3s, had better fastest
lap times as the No. 1 and No. 2 Mustangs, respectively.

http://www.grand-am.com/Events/Sessi...?SessionID=440

Do your homework, and stop speculating. Today's lesson is now concluded.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 1st 05, 11:11 PM

Wound Up wrote:

What's going on here, big guy? Did I get myself a Usenet puppy?

> > I'd never heard of this Grand Am series.

> Well, now you have.

Ow! That stings.

> The racing association did not take its name from Pontiac's little
> sporty car, but Pontiac did use the Trans Am name to sell cars

because
> of Trans Am racing. Ask them if this is the origin of name of their
> series; I'm sure they'd enjoy a good laugh.

P-P-Pontiac's "little sporty car"? You've got to be kidding.

Anyway, my comment on the origins of the name "Grand Am" series was
what we call a "joke," subcategory "snide remarks." Annoying, most
likely yes, but intended to be taken seriously, definitely no.

> > five liters is a substantial
> > boost -- 25 cubic inches -- over the standard GT's 4.6.

> It's actually 21 cubic inches; 302 vs. 281. The 5.0 is actually a

4.9.
> It displaces 4942cc.

Sounds like YOU'RE speculating now, and the speculation is a very
strange one, that the 5.0 liter engine that the '05 Mustangs are
required to run would be a 4.00 x 3.00 inch (101.6 x 76.2 mm) pushrod
Challenger motor (301.6 ci, 4,942 cc), and not a 94 x 90 mm (3.70 x
3.54 inch) mod-motor (4,997 cc, 304.5 ci).

Anyway, my 25 ci number was off-the-cuff, thinking that 6.1 ci per 100
cc, times 4, would be somewhere around 25 ci. Sorry if I was off by .6
ci. I didn't realize I'd be having some unemployed drug dependent
Usenet puppy dog checking my work. So now I know.

> > With a 110 cubic inch advantage it would be pretty
> > embarassing if the Mustangs could not "rocket" past the M3's at the

top
> > end of a big straightaway.

> That comparison isn't terribly meaningful, considering nothing else

is
> held equal. Road racing is not antiseptic numerical analysis anyway.

So now a 110 ci advantage is not "terribly meaningful." Look, moron,
it was just a throwaway line, OK? The only "antiseptic numerical
analysis" was the observation that if you have two production-based
race cars and one has a 56% larger engine than the other, then the guys
running the big engine car should be embarassed if they were not in the
lead at the end of a Daytona Speedway straightaway.

> Did you read these sections?

I'll give you one guess. What do your quotes have to do with what I
wrote, anyway? You're such a fool.

> Do your homework, and stop speculating. Today's lesson is now

concluded.

If today's lesson is that there are an awful lot of idiots in the
world, and few are more idiotic than alcoholic unemployed welfare
queens wasting time on the Usenet, thanks but I aced that quiz a long
time ago.

180 Out

Old March 2nd 05, 12:22 AM
dwight

> wrote in message
oups.com...

(>snip<)

> HOWEVER, what's the deal with the " M6007-R50P" 5.0 liter engines being
> mandatory in the Stangs? I can find no reference to that part number
> anywhere on the web, but I do know that five liters is a substantial
> boost -- 25 cubic inches -- over the standard GT's 4.6. At the same
> time the BMW M3's are stuck with a 3.2 liter six (although they can do
> a .030 overbore). With a 110 cubic inch advantage it would be pretty
> embarassing if the Mustangs could not "rocket" past the M3's at the top
> end of a big straightaway.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news15.asp

dwight

Old March 2nd 05, 01:25 PM
Backyard Mechanic

dwight opined in :

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> (>snip<)
>
>> HOWEVER, what's the deal with the " M6007-R50P" 5.0 liter engines being
>> mandatory in the Stangs? I can find no reference to that part number
>> anywhere on the web, but I do know that five liters is a substantial
>> boost -- 25 cubic inches -- over the standard GT's 4.6. At the same
>> time the BMW M3's are stuck with a 3.2 liter six (although they can do
>> a .030 overbore). With a 110 cubic inch advantage it would be pretty
>> embarassing if the Mustangs could not "rocket" past the M3's at the top
>> end of a big straightaway.

> http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news15.asp
>
> dwight

Go to the grand am forum and read all about it..
Lot of contention about mustang even being in there... and about the showroom
availablillty of the engine,

Seems FRPP keeps the part number of the crate engine listed as "in
development - coming soon"

Still, no matter the controversy... the thing won right out of the box, note
the race descriptions where it seems the thing seems to handle with the euro
cars.

Old March 1st 05, 11:31 PM
John

"351CJ" > wrote in message ...
> With less than one day's experience behind the wheel of his new Ford
> Racing Mustang GT race car, car owner and driver Tom Nastasi, with
> co-driver Ian James, claimed victory in the opening race of the 2005
> Grand-Am Cup season at Daytona International Speedway. The win marks the
> first race and first win for Ford Racing's Mustang GT race car built off
> the new 2005 Mustang GT that is currently available in Ford dealerships.
>
> http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...2w_gt_daytona/

This will keep prices above sticker a while longer!

--
John
ThunderSnake #59