Speedo & Input Sensor

Old December 10th 05, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Speedo & Input Sensor

Not sure of the source of this problem, so hoping someone here can
help.

I have a 92 Voyager with 3.3 and 4 spd. tranny.

The speedo does not go all the way to 0 (zero) during stop and go
driving and on long trips, the needle gets stuck at various places on
the speedo. Tapping the speedo cluster will most times make the
needle jump to the proper speed indication. Van continues to shift
properly, however. Wondering if the speedo is going flakey, or I need
to change out the input sensor. Output was recently changed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old December 10th 05, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Mr. Caravan" > wrote in message
> Not sure of the source of this problem, so hoping someone here can
> help.
>
> I have a 92 Voyager with 3.3 and 4 spd. tranny.
>
> The speedo does not go all the way to 0 (zero) during stop and go
> driving and on long trips, the needle gets stuck at various places on
> the speedo. Tapping the speedo cluster will most times make the
> needle jump to the proper speed indication. Van continues to shift
> properly, however. Wondering if the speedo is going flakey, or I need
> to change out the input sensor. Output was recently changed.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

If you can tap on the gauge and the needle goes to the proper position, the
gauge is faulty.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old December 10th 05, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

If the trans is shifting normally, this also supports that both speed
sensors are fine as well. Check the speedometer itself. Sounds like a cold
solder joint or other bad connection.

Bob

Old December 10th 05, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Mr. Caravan wrote:

> I have a 92 Voyager with 3.3 and 4 spd. tranny. The speedo does not go
> all the way to 0 (zero) during stop and go driving and on long trips,
> the needle gets stuck at various places on the speedo. Tapping the
> speedo cluster will most times make the needle jump to the proper speed
> indication. Van continues to shift properly, however. Wondering if the
> speedo is going flakey, or I need to change out the input sensor. Output
> was recently changed.

Your problem is most likely nothing more than interference between the
speedo needle and the speedometer face, or between the speedometer needle
shaft and the needle shaft hole in the speedometer face.

Old December 10th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

That's what I thought! Thanks for the confirmation.

Old December 10th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I'm now sure it's the speedo unit itself. Question: Will the speedo
unit from a cluster with only a gas and heat gauge work? I was told
both speedo units are identical.

Thanks for your help.

Old December 10th 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Mr. Caravan" > wrote in message
>> Not sure of the source of this problem, so hoping someone here can
>> help.
>>
>> I have a 92 Voyager with 3.3 and 4 spd. tranny.
>>
>> The speedo does not go all the way to 0 (zero) during stop and go
>> driving and on long trips, the needle gets stuck at various places on
>> the speedo. Tapping the speedo cluster will most times make the
>> needle jump to the proper speed indication. Van continues to shift
>> properly, however. Wondering if the speedo is going flakey, or I need
>> to change out the input sensor. Output was recently changed.
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance.

> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

> Newsgroups

> =----
>
> If you can tap on the gauge and the needle goes to the proper position,
> the
> gauge is faulty.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Obviously true. The transmission can't feel a person tapping on the
speedometer. Mr. Caravan, the speedometer doesn't use any sensors but 1 -
that's the distance sensor. It's actually separate from the input and output
speed sensors on that 92. The transmission doesn't use the distance sensor
as far as I know.

Old December 11th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Mr. Caravan wrote:

> I'm now sure it's the speedo unit itself. Question: Will the speedo unit
> from a cluster with only a gas and heat gauge work? I was told both
> speedo units are identical.

Before you buy parts you may not need, try carefully prying the speedo
needle very slightly away from the speedo face, down at its pivot point.
Then manually move the needle clear across to the highest speed number on
the speedometer, release it, and see if it swings freely back to 0. If it
does, you've probably fixed the problem.
Old December 19th 05, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Joe" > wrote in message

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mr. Caravan" > wrote in message
>>> Not sure of the source of this problem, so hoping someone here can
>>> help.
>>>
>>> I have a 92 Voyager with 3.3 and 4 spd. tranny.
>>>
>>> The speedo does not go all the way to 0 (zero) during stop and go
>>> driving and on long trips, the needle gets stuck at various places on
>>> the speedo. Tapping the speedo cluster will most times make the
>>> needle jump to the proper speed indication. Van continues to shift
>>> properly, however. Wondering if the speedo is going flakey, or I need
>>> to change out the input sensor. Output was recently changed.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assistance.

>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

>> Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

>> =----
>>
>> If you can tap on the gauge and the needle goes to the proper position,
>> the
>> gauge is faulty.
>>
>> Glenn Beasley
>> Chrysler Tech
>>

> Obviously true. The transmission can't feel a person tapping on the
> speedometer. Mr. Caravan, the speedometer doesn't use any sensors but 1 -
> that's the distance sensor. It's actually separate from the input and
> output speed sensors on that 92. The transmission doesn't use the distance
> sensor as far as I know.

My understanding of the A604 (4 speed Automatic) only has two output
sensors: an input speed sensor and an output speed sensor. The distance
sensor is determined by the PCM from the output speed sensor which also
feeds the speedometer and the overhead information center mileage computer.

L98: starts, but won't keep running. Dave Gee Corvette 15 October 22nd 05 08:43 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
access instrument cluster connector & speedo sensor troubleshooting [email protected] Jeep 6 March 28th 05 07:16 PM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 08:22 AM