Disconnecting swaybar, K&N filter question, engine mod questions

Old January 13th 05, 07:10 AM
Troy

Default Disconnecting swaybar, K&N filter question, engine mod questions

Um, just checking here... I have a 4 inch lift, and stock brake lines. If
I disconnect the swaybar, is there a chance that the flex will pull the
brake lines out? (2001 TJ)

I see alot of those K&N airfilter kits on jeeps. When I go muddin', it's
ALL OVER the engine compartment. Do those guys go muddin with those
filters? If so, how do you keep the mud off/out of the filter?!?!

Finally, after looking over this newsgroup... I take it that all those
aftermarket engine mods (k&n, headers, throttle body spacers, jet chips,
etc) are crap? Unless you added ALL of them up together, and spent all that
money.

Is there anything simple or cheap (ya right huh?) that can be done to the
4.0 engine for performance? Not that I'm in need of the power, I think it's
the best already. The only thing I've done is add a flowmaster 40 muffler
to the thing, I love that sound.

Troy

Old January 13th 05, 02:08 PM
Snow

well if you have money to give away for those "go fast" items, just send me
a money order for what they total and I'll send you a nice new roll of
aluminium foil that you can use to "chrome" things on your TJ like your door
handles, gas cap, mirrors, even your bumpers can be done (for this the cost
will double as I will have to send you the jumbo roll).

Snow ... "woke up on the smart ass side of bed today" :-)

ink.net...

Old January 13th 05, 05:23 PM
Dave

me guesses if you wanted horsepower, you should-a bought a mustang ?((hehe))
I sold my cobra for my Rubi and I lovin' it !
seriously though;

- not sure on the brake lines.

- K&N makes a difference where more air is going to make slightly more HP,
like my old cobra but just how many horsies are we gonna gain from allowin'
more air in to a 6 banger ? eh.. secondly, I think for the nearly nothing
gain on a K&N upgrade, I would be more worried about getting muddin' & stuff
in the engine.

dave
=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===

ink.net...

Old January 13th 05, 11:51 PM
HomeBrewer

> Um, just checking here... I have a 4 inch lift, and stock brake lines.
> If I disconnect the swaybar, is there a chance that the flex will pull the
> brake lines out? (2001 TJ)

Yes, there is a chance of that. You can get extended lines for less than
$100.

> I see alot of those K&N airfilter kits on jeeps. When I go muddin', it's
> ALL OVER the engine compartment. Do those guys go muddin with those
> filters? If so, how do you keep the mud off/out of the filter?!?!

I don't like mud too much, but I know the K&N filters are reusable.

> Finally, after looking over this newsgroup... I take it that all those
> aftermarket engine mods (k&n, headers, throttle body spacers, jet chips,
> etc) are crap? Unless you added ALL of them up together, and spent all
> that money.

Headers are not crap - they will add HP along with better air flow from the
k&n. I would not buy a tb spacer - they are crap! Don't know about the
chip...

> Is there anything simple or cheap

Not on a jeep.

___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/

Old January 14th 05, 12:23 AM
DougW

HomeBrewer did pass the time by typing:
> Troy wrote:
>> Finally, after looking over this newsgroup... I take it that all those
>> aftermarket engine mods (k&n, headers, throttle body spacers, jet chips,
>> etc) are crap? Unless you added ALL of them up together, and spent all
>> that money.

> Headers are not crap - they will add HP along with better air flow from the
> k&n. I would not buy a tb spacer - they are crap! Don't know about the
> chip...

chips are "ok" if your willing to run only high octane fuel. The plus side is
the modification is reversable and installation is usually fairly easy.

As for the header, for the I6 it's just plain cheaper than buying a new
Jeep one to replace the POS that brakes due to poor design.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 14th 05, 12:41 AM
Jeff Strickland

You said you put on 4" of lift, I assume you also have oversized tires. If I
am right, what you need is new gears, not a box full of chips, airtubes, and
other stuff.

Yes, the flex can pull the brake lines out.

ink.net...

Old January 14th 05, 03:27 AM
Dean

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:10:35 GMT, "Troy" > wrote:

>Um, just checking here... I have a 4 inch lift, and stock brake lines. If
>I disconnect the swaybar, is there a chance that the flex will pull the
>brake lines out? (2001 TJ)

My TJ with a 4 inch lift absolutely requires the longer brake lines.

>I see alot of those K&N airfilter kits on jeeps. When I go muddin', it's
>ALL OVER the engine compartment. Do those guys go muddin with those
>filters? If so, how do you keep the mud off/out of the filter?!?!

I have a K&N in the stock air box, but after seeing this link I am seriously
thinking about removing it.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

(Link comes courtesy of Daniel Stern in rec.autos.tech)

>Finally, after looking over this newsgroup... I take it that all those
>aftermarket engine mods (k&n, headers, throttle body spacers, jet chips,
>etc) are crap? Unless you added ALL of them up together, and spent all that
>money.
>
>Is there anything simple or cheap (ya right huh?) that can be done to the
>4.0 engine for performance? Not that I'm in need of the power, I think it's
>the best already. The only thing I've done is add a flowmaster 40 muffler
>to the thing, I love that sound.

Snake oil, it's all snake oil. Now something proven to improve off road
performance is putting lower gears in your diff. Another good ones are lockers,
lifts, better tires, and winches are good, too. ;-) Some guys have put
superchargers on with good results. (I'd worry about added complexity and
engine life) But, none of them are simple or cheap.

People still look for the holly grail of a simple and cheap mod that will give a
40% increase in HP. I'm glad they do, cause who knows they may find it. But
until that day I'm keeping my money for that front locker I've been wanting.

Dean

Old January 14th 05, 01:39 PM
Troy

Wow, that link was the kind of information I was looking for... someone who
did a test on that sort of thing like filtration and all.

Well I already have lsd's and gearing done, so I guess I'm good then. Maybe
steeper gearing later on in the future, I have 33x12.50's with 4.10 gears.
I read about alot of people who ride with 4.56's and that tire size, but I
haven't ridden in a jeep with that setup yet, so I don't know how the top
end speed is...

How many rpms are you at when going 70mph in 5th gear with 4.56 and 33's?
(6cyl TJ)

Troy

Old January 14th 05, 05:15 PM
Jerry Bransford

It's somewhere around 2700 rpms at 70 mph, nowhere near excessive. I'm
running 4.88 with 35" tires which produces very similar rpms to 33"
tires and 4.56 and it's the perfect combination in my opnion. I would
not want any lower rpms since my 5th gear is very useable on the
highway, not what it would be with a higher ratio that would lower the
rpms too much. When I ran 33" tires with 4.10, it sucked, I was always
having to downshift due to lack of power. That's why I skipped over
4.56 and went to 4.88 when I upgraded to 35" tires.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 14th 05, 09:17 PM
Joe Carroll

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:27:13 -0700, Dean <no.email @ papernapkin.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:10:35 GMT, "Troy" > wrote:
>I have a K&N in the stock air box, but after seeing this link I am seriously
>thinking about removing it.
>
>http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
>
>(Link comes courtesy of Daniel Stern in rec.autos.tech)

I too have a K&N in the stock air box that I've had doubts about.
Anyone have any first hand info on using ACDelco air or oil filters on
TJ's?
Joe Carroll
2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are."
Joseph Duemer