Moron of the Week

Old August 15th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Default Moron of the Week

brink wrote:
> "Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
>> brink wrote:

>>> Your story is a perfect example of how the dangerous Elantra driver
>>> nearly caused a horrible wreck because he or she clearly did not
>>> adequately check his or her mirrors before initiating the pass of the
>>> truck and inconveniencing the driver of the Civic. As at least four or
>>> five expert drivers here in r.a.d. will explain to you in no uncertain
>>> terms, the single worst thing a driver can do is to block the left lane
>>> at any moment and for any length of time, even while passing, so the
>>> Civic driver had no resort to do what he or she did.

>> The four or five expert drivers here in r.a.d., had they been driving the
>> Elantra would have never been in such a situation. When I initiate a
>> pass, the opportunity to pass me on the right and cut in front of me
>> exists anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds.

> Exactly! You've "never been in such a situation"! Which is why I'm glad
> you're here. We need more experts like you!

You just don't get it, do you? If I had been driving the Elantra, I
would have either sped up and completed my pass sooner, or I would have
waited till the Civic driver was past me. With my style of driving, the
Civic driver wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did, either
because it wouldn't have been necessary if I waited, or the window of
opportunity wouldn't have existed long enough for the Civic driver to
pass me on the right had I decided to pass.
Old August 15th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

C. E. White wrote:
> "Alexander Rogge" > wrote in message
>>> He was probably
>>> doing 15 over when he passed me. In the left lane is an Elantra,
>>> probably doing 5 over in the process of catch and passing a truck that
>>> was going the speed limit (or maybe a little lower).

>> The Elantra driver was micropassing. Drivers must yield to faster traffic
>> in the passing lane.

> It seems to me that the Elantra driver did everything right.

You're totally off the mark with this one. First off, the Elantra
driver was completely oblivious to his surroundings and failed to avoid
a potentially dangerous situation. Second, the Elantra driver didn't
even think of hitting the brakes when he saw the Civic driver start
switching lanes in front of him. He did almost hit the guardrail and
lose control of his vehicle instead making the situation far more
dangerous than it ought to have been.
Old August 15th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: "C. E. White"

>But then I am old and
>would like to live to be even older. Driving like an idiot seems to be a
>good way to die sooner.

Driving in "clusters" is driving like an idiot, and is a good way to
die sooner. The best way to minimize your chance of colliding with
another vehicle is to maximize your distance from it.

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old August 15th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White

Old August 15th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: Arif Khokar

>You just don't get it, do you? If I had been driving the Elantra, I
>would have either sped up and completed my pass sooner, or I would have
>waited till the Civic driver was past me. With my style of driving, the
>Civic driver wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did, either
>because it wouldn't have been necessary if I waited, or the window of
>opportunity wouldn't have existed long enough for the Civic driver to
>pass me on the right had I decided to pass.

Maybe he'll get it before he gets killed. Maybe not; who knows. Morons
find all kinds of interesting ways to get themselves killed when it
comes to motor vehicles.

---

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old August 15th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: "C. E. White"

>am very thankful the driver was at least competent enough to recover from
>his intial mistakes (jaming on the brakes and jerking the car away from the
>guard rail).

You shouldn't have to rely on another driver's competency to avoid
situations like this. I'd prefer to be thankful that I had the common
sense to back away from this situation, or not have allowed it to
occur in the first place.

---

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old August 15th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, brink wrote:

> Exactly! You've "never been in such a situation"! Which is why I'm glad
> you're here. We need more experts like you!

And remember, brink isn't a troll, he said so.

> Obviously, the Elantra driver should have anticipated that the Civic driver
> was going to want that lane back, even after swerving out of it to pass
> drivers in the other lane.

I've had to deal with reckless riceboys on countless occasions. Their
next move is about as easy to read as a jumbotron. Even in the
torqueless wonder car I would have been able to avoid this situation by
using this unique and modern invention called rear view mirrors. Let's
say the riceboy was traveling so fast and hidden behind traffic that it
wasn't possible to pick up his presence before he was going around on
the right, even though that's highly unlikely. I would either accelerate
and make the pass impossible before he reached me, or decelerated and
let him by.

The last reckless riceboy I encountered was a similiar situation. I was
in the middle lane passing traffic to my right. Up ahead on the left is
a left lane blocker. From behind me in the right lane, riceboy catches
up to the car I am passing, wings out behind me and then swings into the
left lane and begins passing. I know if I keep my present rate of
acceleration he's going to hit me when he swings back. I ease off and
rice boy cuts me off, returns to far right lane to pass traffic ahead
and does his rice boy victory dance. He took the same exit I do and then
got all insulting about how I had a slow car, etc... anyway, one has to
be alert and take proper action. Even though in this case I had to just
let him do it, because further acceleration would not have put be far
enough ahead to be safe.

Old August 15th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

C. E. White wrote:

> From: "Arif Khokar" >

>> The four or five expert drivers here in r.a.d., had they been driving the
>> Elantra would have never been in such a situation. When I initiate a
>> pass, the opportunity to pass me on the right and cut in front of me
>> exists anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds.

> I am not sure there was much more than 5 seconds from the time the Civic
> zigged past me before he cut off the Elantra.

It appears that you did not understand what I wrote. You state that the
Civic was going about 15 mph faster than you and that your speed was
around 65 mph. You also stated that the Elantra's speed was close to
your own and that the truck was going a few mph slower than both of you.

Fifteen mph is equivalent to 22 feet per second. Unless the Elantra
pulled out into the left lane less than 110 feet in front of the Civic,
then there's no way that the Civic could have passed him on the right if
the window of opportunity, as I described it, lasted only 5 seconds.

> It seems to me there
> were two bad things that could have happened if the car had not straightened
> the car out- the car could have rolled in front of on coming traffic, or I
> could have t-boned the Elantra because I couldn't slow down fast enough.

Did you consider using the shoulder to steer around the Elantra if its
driver wasn't able to regain control?
Old August 15th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> brink wrote:
>
>> Exactly! You've "never been in such a situation"! Which is why I'm glad
>> you're here. We need more experts like you!

> You just don't get it, do you? If I had been driving the Elantra, I would
> have either sped up and completed my pass sooner, or I would have waited
> till the Civic driver was past me. With my style of driving, the Civic
> driver wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did, either because
> it wouldn't have been necessary if I waited, or the window of opportunity
> wouldn't have existed long enough for the Civic driver to pass me on the
> right had I decided to pass.

No, Arif, you don't get it -- I'm agreeing with you! Based on your history
of posting, if you are to be taken at your word, you are more skilled than
99.99% of drivers out there. In fact, "expert driver" does a disservice to
you; you belong to that minute subset that is better labelled "genius
driver."

You are the 1 in 10,000 who is capable of *always* anticipating *every*
situation, reading other drivers' minds, using flawless judgment, knowing
the unknown and seeing the unseen -- all while usually driving significantly
higher than the speed limit.

Not only have you never been in an accident (well... in which you were at
fault, not *everyone* is a genius driver), you have *never* misjudged a
situation, endangered another driver, or delayed another driver for even one
second.

To you I say: Bravo! If only there were more drivers like you. Please keep
dispensing your nuggets of wisdom in this here chatrum, we who are witness
to your postings are certainly the better for it.

brink

Old August 15th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, brink wrote:
>
>> Exactly! You've "never been in such a situation"! Which is why I'm glad
>> you're here. We need more experts like you!

> And remember, brink isn't a troll, he said so.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

>> Obviously, the Elantra driver should have anticipated that the Civic
>> driver
>> was going to want that lane back, even after swerving out of it to pass
>> drivers in the other lane.

> I've had to deal with reckless riceboys on countless occasions. Their
> next move is about as easy to read as a jumbotron. Even in the
> torqueless wonder car I would have been able to avoid this situation by
> using this unique and modern invention called rear view mirrors. Let's
> say the riceboy was traveling so fast and hidden behind traffic that it
> wasn't possible to pick up his presence before he was going around on
> the right, even though that's highly unlikely. I would either accelerate
> and make the pass impossible before he reached me, or decelerated and
> let him by.

Believe it or not, in heavy traffic, it *is* possible to miss these guys.
Especially when one is passing a lot of big trucks. One of the unfortunate
side-effects of sharing the road with so many large vehicles as they become
huge screens to seeing traffic in front and behind.

I check my mirrors -- a lot -- but every once in a while, something sneaks
up on me. Just happens because I'm not perfect. I drive accordingly and I
think it's reasonable to expect other people to do the same.

> The last reckless riceboy I encountered was a similiar situation. I was
> in the middle lane passing traffic to my right. Up ahead on the left is
> a left lane blocker. From behind me in the right lane, riceboy catches
> up to the car I am passing, wings out behind me and then swings into the
> left lane and begins passing. I know if I keep my present rate of
> acceleration he's going to hit me when he swings back. I ease off and
> rice boy cuts me off, returns to far right lane to pass traffic ahead
> and does his rice boy victory dance. He took the same exit I do and then
> got all insulting about how I had a slow car, etc... anyway, one has to
> be alert and take proper action. Even though in this case I had to just
> let him do it, because further acceleration would not have put be far
> enough ahead to be safe.

You did the right thing there and you should be commended for it. The
reckless drivers who are trying to pass "everyone" ahead of them are usually
young/dumb/sociopath types. Best avoided at all costs.

brink