It's official: Jeeps are fuel efficient.

Old March 25th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default It's official: Jeeps are fuel efficient.

Discovered several interesting things today:

1. Jeep Wranglers can be very fuel efficient. Drove 66.3 miles then
filled up: used only 2.3 gallons! My calculations indicate 28.8 mpg.
How the hell did I do it? Avoided stoplight racing, shifted under 2k,
made most of the lights, and kept it below 65 mph on the freeway. And
yes, I was deliberately trying to see just how good a mileage figure I
could squeeze out of a TJ, just for bragging rights.

Yes, I know, Bill and others will probably drop their pants and offer
an irreverant physical gesture out of sheer disbelief and arrogance.
Fire away. I'm too shocked with the numbers to care much.

2. One should NEVER fiddle with the macro adjustment on a Kegerator
thermostat while a viable keg is still inside. 34 degrees at MAX
wasn't good enough for me: I wanted 33 or lower, so I pulled the
thermostat out, gave the macro adjustment a 1.5 clockwise turn,
buttoned it back up and let it go overnight. This morning, the
interior air temp was a frosty 21 degrees. Liquid temp was probably 5
degrees less than that, I'm sure.

Pulling the treasured 5-gal keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale revelaed that
the contents were not completely frozen, but still in a slushy-state,
but more frozen than slush. DAMN! Pulling the tap open revealed my
worst suspicions as well: not a drop came out.

As of this afternoon, I discover that the macro adjustment yields a 2
degree drop per 1/4 turn on the screw, so after some recalibration, I'm
back in business, and the brew seems none the worse for the experience.
I'm now down to a liquid temp of exactly 31 degrees, and at 13 psi.
CO2 pressure, the saturation and foam lacing are absolutely perfect.
YES!

3. Now that the beer is ice-cold and ready to pour, I've found that
Frito Lay's Rold Gold classic style Braided Twists are a MOST
complimentary snack for anyone who's been sitting around the house all
day, waiting until 3:00 so that they can get hammered and eat junk food
like a hog.

Damn. Life is good. Too bad you're not closeby, Kate: I could use a
wild-eyed Irish gal to help me drink up a frosty keg of Amber Ale. I
might have even cracked a dirty joke or two and got you to smile.

-JD

Old March 25th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have done the same with my CJ7. None of them still believe me, but a
bunch of folks from this group have filled up beside me on trips and
tank for tank and my carburated CJ7 always beats the FI units for
mileage big time!

Your light foot experiment shows it can be done with injection too.
Well, we do it with the XJ. We always get more than 25 mpg on the
highway with it. Fully loaded to the roof, 4 adults, 3 duffle bags on
the roof rack, packed for winter camping with winter gas and we got the
worst ever. 23 mpg or 11L/100km.... Which is what my CJ7 gets normally
loaded for a trip on the highway....

:-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 25th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi JD,
Why should I get up set, it's nothing at all for my Thunderbird to
get thirty miles to the gallon on a three hundred mile loop form Vista
up I-5 to Frazier's Park, atop the Grape Vine, and back, of course
that's not an aerodynamic brick. With a Jeep we must keep the speed down
to eliminate that factor.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 25th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Kate

"JD Adams" > wrote
:
: 1. Jeep Wranglers can be very fuel efficient. Drove 66.3 miles then
: filled up: used only 2.3 gallons! My calculations indicate 28.8 mpg.
: How the hell did I do it? Avoided stoplight racing, shifted under 2k,
: made most of the lights, and kept it below 65 mph on the freeway. And
: yes, I was deliberately trying to see just how good a mileage figure I
: could squeeze out of a TJ, just for bragging rights.

Hmm...
the 06 Rubi with a slush box is listed on the sticker at 14city - 18 hwy
What makes yours so special?

Seriously?

*snippity snip**
:
: 3. Now that the beer is ice-cold and ready to pour, I've found that
: Frito Lay's Rold Gold classic style Braided Twists are a MOST
: complimentary snack for anyone who's been sitting around the house all
: day, waiting until 3:00 so that they can get hammered and eat junk food
: like a hog.
:
: Damn. Life is good. Too bad you're not closeby, Kate: I could use a
: wild-eyed Irish gal to help me drink up a frosty keg of Amber Ale. I
: might have even cracked a dirty joke or two and got you to smile.
:
LMAO!
I was reading the above and thought DAMN! Wish I was there..
and then I saw- I shoulda been LOL
Thanks for thinking of me JD
Of course you realize, when I drink, I get goofy.
It's always good for a good laugh - at my expense.

Kate

Old March 25th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
:I have done the same with my CJ7. None of them still believe me, but a
: bunch of folks from this group have filled up beside me on trips and
: tank for tank and my carburated CJ7 always beats the FI units for
: mileage big time!
:
: Your light foot experiment shows it can be done with injection too.
: Well, we do it with the XJ. We always get more than 25 mpg on the
: highway with it. Fully loaded to the roof, 4 adults, 3 duffle bags on
: the roof rack, packed for winter camping with winter gas and we got the
: worst ever. 23 mpg or 11L/100km.... Which is what my CJ7 gets normally
: loaded for a trip on the highway....
:

The Libermonster is currently getting 16.5
%$#*&^^!!

Kate

Old March 25th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

>Hmm...
>the 06 Rubi with a slush box is listed on the sticker at 14city - 18 hwy
>What makes yours so special?

Ummmm...good karma? It's probably driving habits and tires. It's
outfitted with Michelin LTX's at 30 psi, and I drove like a 102-year
old geezer on his way home from church. And I have the 6-sp. tranny
which gives me a 1-2 mpg. edge over the slushbox.

It all started as a challenge from a ladyfriend who owns an '05 PT
Cruiser. She kept laughing and telling me that her PT got 35 mpg. We
decided to fill both vehicles up, and the one who got the highest
mileage bought dinner the following week.

HA! Her PT only got 16.4 mpg!!! Both of our jaws dropped when I
clocked nearly 29. I would have never thought it was possible to get
that much out of a TJL.

>Of course you realize, when I drink, I get goofy.

I'm counting on that, because my jokes are terrible.

-JD

Old March 25th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

04 TJ Sahara averaging 20.2 MPG half hwy half city.
Coasty

Old March 25th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Long time no see, JD! Do you still have the Mustang as well as your new
Jeep?

Around 3/24/2006 4:40 PM, JD Adams wrote:

> Discovered several interesting things today:
>
> 1. Jeep Wranglers can be very fuel efficient. Drove 66.3 miles then
> filled up: used only 2.3 gallons! My calculations indicate 28.8 mpg.

I wish I knew what kind of mileage I'm getting with /my/ "new" Jeep, but
the speedometer (and odometer) aren't registering at all... Gotta go out
and do some more troubleshooting.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"
Old March 25th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

here's a wierd one. Although it's rare where I take a freeway trip where i
can check highway mileage, my Jeepster ( 455 buick, 3.73:1, 7 inch lift,
lots of extra steel), went from 8.5 to 10 MPG by swapping 32 inch MTs for 35
inch MTs. I guess the higher ratio wasn't offset by anything, and there is
still plenty of torque to spare
--
Stupendous Man,

Old March 25th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hey, Garth! Very long time, no see! Though amicable, I lost the
Mustang in a divorce last summer. I had planned to move back to
Bozeman, MT; a buddy of mine runs flatbeds out of Butte and offered me
a big piece of the action, and since I was looking to buy a Yellow
3-axle KW at the time anyway, it looked like a no-brainer.

Then Katrina happened and put everything on hold. Still wondering if
it was a sign. The TJL made a LOT more sense than a Mustang for my
travel plans, but for now, it's a Garage Queen.

Worse, I've stumbled bass-ackwards into an employee-owned trucking
outfit out of Yuba City, CA, and now I'm making an obscene amount of
cash working with that. Enough cash to retire a rich old dude. So for
now, I'm still out here. Seems as though every time I get ready to
bolt, something comes along to keep me planted here.

I miss Charlene, but not enough to buy another. If the '07 Dodge
Challenger makes it to production with that monster 400-hp Hemi, well,
....I may have to indulge myself once again. However, I won't be
selling the TJL at any point in MY lifetime! And now that a Female
isn't holding the pink slip to my very existance, I actually have some
say in the matter. Life is good.

-JD

4200 miles in six days in a C6 - fuel use notes for Dad Vandervecken Corvette 9 December 7th 05 10:43 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM