Arca SimRacing 2008 arrived today.

Old March 9th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default Arca SimRacing 2008 arrived today.

It's shipped. Mine was in the mail box today. Installing now...

The packaging is quite bare. Just a DVD in a snap-case.

-Larry

Old March 9th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Installed fine. Ran a few laps. Messed with the setup a bit. As usual
with an ISI sim, I'm totally lost LOL

Printing out all the INI files and downloaded the manual on the forum to
learn more.

At first glance, ver rFactor-ish. Not saying that's good or bad. There is
no mistaking this for anything but an ISI based Sim.

One thing I've found so far, if you start to spin in the corner, you are
DONE. After messing with the setup a bit and about 15 spins, I never was
able to recover from a single one of them.

Lots to learn yet. Take everything with a grain of salt.

-Larry

Old March 9th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Backspace

Larry wrote:
> Installed fine. Ran a few laps. Messed with the setup a bit. As usual
> with an ISI sim, I'm totally lost LOL
>
> Printing out all the INI files and downloaded the manual on the forum to
> learn more.
>
> At first glance, ver rFactor-ish. Not saying that's good or bad. There
> is no mistaking this for anything but an ISI based Sim.
>
> One thing I've found so far, if you start to spin in the corner, you are
> DONE. After messing with the setup a bit and about 15 spins, I never
> was able to recover from a single one of them.
>
> Lots to learn yet. Take everything with a grain of salt.
>
> -Larry

What's Arca? I don't see any such product listed at ISI web site.
Old March 9th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Therron Thomas[_2_]

"Backspace" > wrote in message
newsQKAj.63855$w94.21902@pd7urf2no...
> Larry wrote:
>> Installed fine. Ran a few laps. Messed with the setup a bit. As usual
>> with an ISI sim, I'm totally lost LOL
>>
>> Printing out all the INI files and downloaded the manual on the forum to
>> learn more.
>>
>> At first glance, ver rFactor-ish. Not saying that's good or bad. There
>> is no mistaking this for anything but an ISI based Sim.
>>
>> One thing I've found so far, if you start to spin in the corner, you are
>> DONE. After messing with the setup a bit and about 15 spins, I never was
>> able to recover from a single one of them.
>>
>> Lots to learn yet. Take everything with a grain of salt.
>>
>> -Larry

> What's Arca? I don't see any such product listed at ISI web site.

Try this

http://www.arcasimracing.com/

Supposed to be the NR 2003 killer. I personally have to agree its got a good
start. Great fun so far!

Old March 9th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Good start? Yes. NR2003 Killer? Hmmm.....

I'm still digging in to it and have a long way to go. However, I'm seeing
some ISI-based traints that, game after game, simply don't seem to friggen'
go away:

1. Controller setup. It's still too finicky. You have to fiddle and
fiddle and fiddle and fiddle until you stumble upon something that works for
you. DEVELOPERS - NO ONE RACES SIMS WITH KEYBOARDS. GET RID OF THE STUPID
DIGITAL SETUP **** ALREADY! I don't know why any developer has put effort
into re-designing the canned ISI based controller setup system. It's beyond
my comprehension how something so badly designed can go on, and on and on
and on, game after game after gane. Paleeeease!

2. INI Hell. Yet another ISI engined game with a bazillion INI options,
and no interface to manage them with. Is it SO HARD to put a few more
configuration screens in the game for us to access these through? I've
printed out all the readable INI files, and as before you've got to sit
there for hours and study and figure out what you can adjust to make the
game better for you, or for the game to work better overall. Enough of this
madness!

The rest I'm still working with. These are two Legacy problems that every
single ISI based game have had, and it's just beyond me how they keep
cropping up, game after game.

Now, before you ISI fans get your panties in a bunch (you know who you are
), I am not dissing the game. Certainly not enough time has passed for
anything like that. I like a lot of what I see, and I REALLY hope this is
"THE ONE". It just sets me free to see these same ISI based deficiencies
over and over again.

BTW... The low-end bass response of the sound is awesome

-Larry

. ..

Old March 9th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
sparadise

What kind of controller are you using . I set up my G25 in 5
minutes. Only tweak was in the player file to change the rearview
mirror setting. Nothing to my knowledge in the .ini files needs to be
changed,so why are you scanning thru them all. On a positive note the
game boots up almost instantly, menus are simple to use and extremely
fast going from one to the other. Great whisper feature in the
multiplayer where you can highlight someone and send a private message
without typing /#Drivers car no or whatever the hell it was in N2003.

Ran a bunch online yesterday with ASR and for the first time in a sim
experienced real side by side racing.You can actually run the high
line which was almost always impossible in N2003. This game isn't
perfect but it is very good and if you give it a chance I am confident
you will enjoy the racing.

I ran the Papyrus Nascar games from 97 thru 06 and just got tired of
the same old thing. It's always comical to me how the N2003 guys talk
about realism when in all the leagues I ran in over half the guys were
driving on the roof. For years we tried to run hardcore (in the car
view only) and could never get more than 10 racers. Realism ? Yea
Right .
Maybe Nascar will put sunroof's in the COT cars so they can drive on
the roof.

Steve P
Old March 10th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Backspace

Therron Thomas wrote:

> Try this
>
> http://www.arcasimracing.com/
>
> Supposed to be the NR 2003 killer. I personally have to agree its got a good
> start. Great fun so far!

MP only though and their links to screenshots don't work. Looks like you
have to order via US too which I don't want to do. Thanks anyway.
Old March 10th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Backspace

Larry wrote:

> 1. Controller setup. It's still too finicky. You have to fiddle and
> fiddle and fiddle and fiddle until you stumble upon something that works
> for you.

I've never had that issue with my Microsoft FFB wheel. Bit of tweaking
and I'm off to the races.

> 2. INI Hell.

What you call .ini hell others call options. You would rather they
encrypt all that stuff and give you hardly any options at all like some
games do? Not me.
Old March 10th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

On Mar 10, 12:58*am, Backspace > wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> > 1. *Controller setup. *It's still too finicky. *You have to fiddle and
> > fiddle and fiddle and fiddle until you stumble upon something that works
> > for you. *

> I've never had that issue with my Microsoft FFB wheel. Bit of tweaking
> and I'm off to the races.
>
> > 2. *INI Hell.

> What you call .ini hell others call options. You would rather they
> encrypt all that stuff and give you hardly any options at all like some
> games do? Not me.

1. With my TSW, there is always some time required to "find the sweet
spot" for inputs. Hopefully, the settings that I am using for rF will
simply carry over. Conversely, the controller setup for NR2003 was
ALWAYS easier and required only a linearity adjustment.

2. Yes, they are options and for the most part, welcome. But I think
what Larry was getting at was those options should accessible from
<within> the game, not only via a text editor.
Old March 10th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

G25, and if you set it up in 5 minutes you are VERY familiar with ISI based
sims.

-Larry

ARCA [email protected] Simulators 2 March 4th 08 11:01 PM
Race 07 arrived today GaryP Simulators 10 October 20th 07 10:42 PM
My 159 has arrived Stephen Poley Alfa Romeo 31 April 8th 06 04:17 PM
More has arrived! Mitch_A Simulators 15 May 4th 05 08:09 PM