shutting off overdrive on a 97 Wrangler

Old January 22nd 05, 04:06 AM
Stephen Early

Default shutting off overdrive on a 97 Wrangler

"Stephen Early" > wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I have a 97 Wrangler 4.0 with an automatic and I want to put a switch on

the
> dash so I can turn off the overdrive easily. Has anyone done this or have
> ideas? I was looking at the wiring diagram and saw a 'torque converter
> relay switch'. I'm thinking I could interrupt the wire going to this

relay
> to turn off overdrive but I can't find the relay.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
>
> --
> Steve Early

For anyone interested here's a follow-up to my question above. I misspoke
and said my Jeep has an overdrive. I was referring to the torque converted
lockup. The answer to my own question is yes, you can mount a switch to
turn off the lockup. You will not overheat the transmission but you will
get a check engine light after a while and the code will tell you the lockup
is not working.

In my case, rather than install a switch I had a local trans shop change the
speed the lockup engages from 34 to 45 MPH.

Steve Early

Wrangler Heater Problems.. sp Jeep 5 December 16th 04 09:50 PM
No spark on 99 wrangler AKJEEPER Jeep 1 December 13th 04 07:05 PM
97 Wrangler ignition key switch Mike Burch Jeep 3 December 10th 04 11:30 PM
AT Overdrive Craig Mazda 1 November 2nd 04 02:13 AM
WTB: Chevy Trans and Overdrive Tom Kieffer Antique cars 0 November 14th 03 01:45 PM