Smoke inside car whenever Im stopped..

Old September 22nd 04, 11:44 PM
Kev Edwards

Default Smoke inside car whenever Im stopped..

I have a 1995 BMW 525I. I recently had a new oil pan put on the car.
Every since I had this done, I am getting smoldering oil inside the
car from underneath the steering area. It only starts
smoking/smoldering when Im at a stop position. This is the most
frustrating thing, luckily the weather has been nice, so I can have
the windows down. Any ideas on what could be causing this?? Thanks in
advance.
Old September 23rd 04, 02:57 AM
Jimmy G

Perhaps somebody forgot to install the pan gasket?

Old September 23rd 04, 09:17 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article > ,
Kev Edwards > wrote:
> Any ideas on what could be causing this??

Oil leaking onto a hot exhaust.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 23rd 04, 05:00 PM
Fred W.

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> Kev Edwards > wrote:
> > Any ideas on what could be causing this??

> Oil leaking onto a hot exhaust.

Agree, but one place for fluid leakage that is quite common on E34s is from
the hoses which attach to the bottom of the PS reservoir. They are
originally fastened with crip type hose clamps, best removed and replaced
with small worm type hose clamps. That may be the source of the leak. But
if not, you will need to track down what is leaking.

-Fred W

Old September 23rd 04, 05:12 PM
Kev Edwards

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message >...
> In article > ,
> Kev Edwards > wrote:
> > Any ideas on what could be causing this??

> Oil leaking onto a hot exhaust.

So are both answers correct?? Possibly a oil pan gasket not being
installed is causing a leak to leak onto a hot exhaust? It only began
doing this after the new oil pan was installed.

Kev
Old September 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
Fred W.

"Kev Edwards" > wrote in message
m...
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message

> > In article > ,
> > Kev Edwards > wrote:
> > > Any ideas on what could be causing this??

> > Oil leaking onto a hot exhaust.

> So are both answers correct?? Possibly a oil pan gasket not being
> installed is causing a leak to leak onto a hot exhaust? It only began
> doing this after the new oil pan was installed.

They may also have knocked the PS hoses loose when they were ajcking the
engine to get at the oil pan. I'd think that it's sort of hard to screw up
an oil pan gasket... But you never know.

-Fred W

Old September 23rd 04, 07:04 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Fred W. <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Agree, but one place for fluid leakage that is quite common on E34s is
> from the hoses which attach to the bottom of the PS reservoir. They are
> originally fastened with crip type hose clamps, best removed and
> replaced with small worm type hose clamps.

Common on the E39 too - mine had it. Wonder why they use those crimps -
given normal 'clips' everywhere else?

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Old September 24th 04, 03:02 PM
Fred W.

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Fred W. <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > Agree, but one place for fluid leakage that is quite common on E34s is
> > from the hoses which attach to the bottom of the PS reservoir. They are
> > originally fastened with crip type hose clamps, best removed and
> > replaced with small worm type hose clamps.

> Common on the E39 too - mine had it. Wonder why they use those crimps -
> given normal 'clips' everywhere else?

Dunno, but it's an easy enough fix, even for the home D-I-Y types (like me).

-Fred W

Old September 24th 04, 03:21 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Fred W. <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > Common on the E39 too - mine had it. Wonder why they use those crimps -
> > given normal 'clips' everywhere else?
> >

> Dunno, but it's an easy enough fix, even for the home D-I-Y types (like
> me).

Too difficult for my dealer. I mentioned a leak when it went in for
service. They charged 70 gbp for removing the hose, cleaning and
replacing. But the crimp was obviously untouched. As was the leak. I asked
the service manager in writing how they managed to remove the hose without
disturbing the crimp, but got no answer. Perhaps he didn't know what a
crimp was.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Old September 24th 04, 07:42 PM
news

they probably didnt do a thing except clean the hose
to make it look newer.

a worse case is in the "bad transmission scam"
they sat there are metal filings in the pan and you need a new tranny.
fact is some filings and debris were normal in a transmission and you
dont need a new one.
they then clean the tranny with solvent to make it look
newer but its the old one.