SC2 CD-Changer questions

Old June 11th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Matthew Fries

Default SC2 CD-Changer questions

I bought my 1997 SC2 brand new with the factory stereo and equalizer
package, but I didn't have the CD-changer installed until about a year
later.

Now, the CD changer is starting to have trouble detecting discs. It
loads the disc, and after a couple of seconds, the display simply says
"Err" on it for about 5 seconds, and then it loads the next disc. I
assume it means that there was an error detecting the CD. It used to
be intermittent, but now is getting more and more common. The discs
I'm using are factory pressed, not CD-Rs.

Sometimes, if I let it keep changing discs over and over again,
eventually it will be able to read a disc. Once it starts to read a
CD, it seems to be OK for the duration of the ride.

I have tried a cleaning disc to see if it's a dirty lens, but that
didn't seem to help. This problem started showing up last summer, and
completely disappeared during the cold winter months. Now that it's
warming up, it's back, so I figure it's heat related.

Has anyone else had any such trouble with their CD-changer?

Here is the crazy thing: I have spliced an aux input into the audio
lines that go from the changer to the stereo, so I can plug my PDA
into it and listen to MP3s. Well, the stupid factory head unit MUTES
the audio until it gets a disc-good signal from the changer, so I
can't even listen to mp3s.

Any advice? The CD-Changer was rather expensive, and wasn't even very
solid (it would skip when I was turning). I would rather not buy
another one of the same model. Is there any other brand of changer
that would work in the Saturn, and still be direct-wired audio (rather
than that RF modulated crap)?

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick
Old June 11th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)[_59_]

"Matthew Fries" > wrote in message
>I bought my 1997 SC2 brand new with the factory stereo and equalizer
> package, but I didn't have the CD-changer installed until about a year
> later.
>
> Now, the CD changer is starting to have trouble detecting discs. It
> loads the disc, and after a couple of seconds, the display simply says
> "Err" on it for about 5 seconds, and then it loads the next disc. I
> assume it means that there was an error detecting the CD. It used to
> be intermittent, but now is getting more and more common. The discs
> I'm using are factory pressed, not CD-Rs.
>
> Sometimes, if I let it keep changing discs over and over again,
> eventually it will be able to read a disc. Once it starts to read a
> CD, it seems to be OK for the duration of the ride.
>
> I have tried a cleaning disc to see if it's a dirty lens, but that
> didn't seem to help. This problem started showing up last summer, and
> completely disappeared during the cold winter months. Now that it's
> warming up, it's back, so I figure it's heat related.
>
> Has anyone else had any such trouble with their CD-changer?
>
> Here is the crazy thing: I have spliced an aux input into the audio
> lines that go from the changer to the stereo, so I can plug my PDA
> into it and listen to MP3s. Well, the stupid factory head unit MUTES
> the audio until it gets a disc-good signal from the changer, so I
> can't even listen to mp3s.
>
> Any advice? The CD-Changer was rather expensive, and wasn't even very
> solid (it would skip when I was turning). I would rather not buy
> another one of the same model. Is there any other brand of changer
> that would work in the Saturn, and still be direct-wired audio (rather
> than that RF modulated crap)?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
> Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA
>

> "Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Well I'd love to know too as I'd love a CD changer in my freaking car as I
don't even have a CD player and I only listen to certain disks and this
would be the perfect upgrade.

Also cool that you live only 99 miles away!

Old June 12th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

I'd say quit f'ing around with it and get one of these

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4744709

I got a 4 gig thumb drive for 25 bucks + tax and I got more than 600
songs on it at the moment. (Takes a little while longer to que the
bigger and fuller drives.) At one time I used to have a CD changer but
it seems absolutely pointless these days. Now you couldn't give me one.
Also I can take the a/c fm modulator and use it in any vehicle I'm in...
Old June 12th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Matthew Fries

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:07:50 -0400, BläBlä
. s!rcre4p.c0m> wrote:

>I'd say quit f'ing around with it and get one of these
>
>http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4744709
>
>I got a 4 gig thumb drive for 25 bucks + tax and I got more than 600
>songs on it at the moment. (Takes a little while longer to que the
>bigger and fuller drives.) At one time I used to have a CD changer but
>it seems absolutely pointless these days. Now you couldn't give me one.
>Also I can take the a/c fm modulator and use it in any vehicle I'm in...

I just bought another 1GB SD card last weekend, so it would work well
with that product. I don't really have that many MP3s. I suppose I
could start ripping my CDs.

Do you have that same model?

I often listen to podcasts (in mp3 format), and my PDA will remember
the position in the file if my trip ends before the file does. It
doesn't really say from the product description if this FM transmitter
will do the same (so I bet it won't).

I really don't care much for the FM modulator quality, and I'm no
audiophile. Honestly, I would rather replace the entire head unit with
something with an aux input, or an SD card slot (do they make car
stereos with SD card slots?). The only thing keeping me from doing
that, is then my car would no longer appear stock, and the stereo
would no doubt invite vandals and thieves.

Anyone know of any FM transmitter mp3 player with bookmarking
capabilities?

Old June 12th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article >,
says...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:07:50 -0400, BläBlä
> . s!rcre4p.c0m> wrote:
>
> >I'd say quit f'ing around with it and get one of these

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4744709

> >I got a 4 gig thumb drive for 25 bucks + tax and I got more than 600
> >songs on it at the moment. (Takes a little while longer to que the
> >bigger and fuller drives.) At one time I used to have a CD changer but
> >it seems absolutely pointless these days. Now you couldn't give me one.
> >Also I can take the a/c fm modulator and use it in any vehicle I'm in...

a/c? Errr I think I ment to say accessory there or something...

> I just bought another 1GB SD card last weekend, so it would work well
> with that product. I don't really have that many MP3s. I suppose I
> could start ripping my CDs.

You can buy packs of three 1 gig drives for less than 30 bucks usually.
You can then stick different genre's of music on each one. I used CDex
to rip my cd's. Doesn't contain bloatware or skinning crap.

> Do you have that same model?

Yeah got it as a gift 6 months ago. Some still out there wont play mp3's
larger than 128kbps. This one seems to play every bit rate mp3 I have.

> I often listen to podcasts (in mp3 format), and my PDA will remember
> the position in the file if my trip ends before the file does. It
> doesn't really say from the product description if this FM transmitter
> will do the same (so I bet it won't).

Of course you have to unplug it or it keeps playing. It picks up the
same song, from the start, when you plug it back in. Not so great if its
a novel (book on tape) with very few file breaks.

> I really don't care much for the FM modulator quality, and I'm no

I dont think it sounds bad at all. IMO convenience outways sound
quality. And the greater capacity keeps you from hearing the same crap
over and over.

> audiophile. Honestly, I would rather replace the entire head unit with
> something with an aux input, or an SD card slot (do they make car
> stereos with SD card slots?).

Don't think so but usb ports would be more universal. Haven't seen a pc
without one. If you can plug a card reader into the players usb port
then that would cover all formats. I think thats what all car
manufacturers should work towards.

> The only thing keeping me from doing
> that, is then my car would no longer appear stock, and the stereo
> would no doubt invite vandals and thieves.
>
> Anyone know of any FM transmitter mp3 player with bookmarking
> capabilities?
>
> Thanks.

Again it remembers which file it was on, it just starts from the
begining of that file.
http://www.roadmasterusa.com/manuals/vrfm9_eng.pdf

And hey, its Walmart, if you dont like it, you can return it!
Old June 14th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I bought that same exact VR unit about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a
great idea when I first saw it.

I used it for about an hour total in all 3 of my cars. PIECE OF CRAP
to say the least.
I tried the MP3 format and then also the WMA format. No difference.
Low power output so you have to turn the radio way up, causing hiss,
distortion, etc... I followed all the directions for trouble
shooting/ tips. Again, POS.

Back to to Target for a refund. I did have to purchase an SD card
reader to load the music, but I am sure I will other uses for it as
time goes on.

James

Old June 16th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Matthew, I have a SC2 also, and would have purchased the extra 6 Cd changer
if I cold find the OEM, which was manufactured by Pioneer for Saturn. (I am
suspect the the advanced audio system, which including tape deck was
required to install the optional OEM cd changer was likely as well made by
Pioneer).

As mentioned above, if it is an OEM changer, I assume you must have the
required tape deck, which I have plugged in my XM and MP3 player. I too am
not an audiophile, but agree that the modulator sound is sub-par as opposed
to a direct connection, it even says so in the XM brochure.

Have you tried cleaning your CD player? I haven't seen anyone mention that.
You can get a CD cleaner at Radio Shack or WallyMart. I would highly suggest
that you try that 1st before anything else.

Cheers!

marx404

Old June 16th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Matthew Fries

My changer is not an OEM CD-changer. I bought it from my Saturn
dealer, and it is clearly a Delco brand.

I seem to remember hearing that the digital protocol for the saturn
cd-changer and head unit is the same protocol that Alpine uses. I may
be wrong, however.

I did try a cleaning disc, but it didn't help. I also took the
cd-changer out, and re-soldered some of the joints on a small
connector board, right where the data cable plugs in, but that didn't
seem to help either.

I did find this:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=518

It sounds like this device will fool the stereo into thinking that it
has a working CD-changer attached to it, so it won't mute the audio.

I'm not sure if it has the right pinouts though. I'll have to take
some time and check.

Old June 16th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

um, Delco = OEM.

if you already tried cleaning it and that failed, I would suggest changing
the unit all together as long as the radio works. pioneer does sell a very
small CD changer unit at Best Buy (and other stores) that will fit
perfectly.

--
marx404

Old June 16th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article . com>,
says...
> I bought that same exact VR unit about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a
> great idea when I first saw it.
>
> I used it for about an hour total in all 3 of my cars. PIECE OF CRAP
> to say the least.
> I tried the MP3 format and then also the WMA format. No difference.
> Low power output so you have to turn the radio way up, causing hiss,

To be sure, you did turn its volume to 21 (max) right? Mine doesn't hiss
at all. If I turn my radio way way up with the player paused I hear a
little FM background radio noise but no hiss. (What I do start to hear
is the FM noise generated by my volume button every time I press it.)
87.7 is an unused channel here and thats what I tune them to. I recently
re-ripped my cd's at a much higher varable bit rate and tried it out
again and it more than equals, if not beats out, the FM stations in
sound quality. I wonder if yours made noise because of the SD card? I
use usb as I can plug it in to any computer. My camera's use Compact
Flash as do higher end digital cameras so I avoid other cards...

CD Changer lobo VW water cooled 1 April 13th 06 12:07 PM
CD Changer F.S. Hanna BMW 0 January 15th 06 04:59 PM
CD changer on x3 Hanna BMW 1 December 31st 05 01:19 AM
156 + CD changer GT Alfa Romeo 1 June 23rd 05 05:40 PM
CD/mp3 Changer GT Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 05 11:09 AM