Speaking of Boo-Boos...

Old July 16th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
John David Galt

Default Speaking of Boo-Boos...

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> > wrote
>
>>Floyd Rogers > wrote:
>>
>>>Speaking of which, thank goodness that CA finally changed (is changing)
>>>it's exit markers from numeric to mile.

>>There were never any numbers in the first place.

> I was referring to the county-based numbering system, under
> which every exit did, indeed, have a number (actually, they
> were milepost-based, but upon each county).

The counties did (and still do) number miles, but not exits.
Old July 16th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
John David Galt

John Mara wrote:
> I think having different numbering for toll routes would be confusing.
> Would I 90 keep changing from I 490 to I 90 and back?

The reason I want toll routes numbered differently is so that people
don't get surprised by the toll partway through a trip and have to waste
time going around as a result.

In a case like that, the non-toll number would be moved to a contiguous,
non-toll route (not necessarily all freeway) wherever possible. I can't
think of any case where this would require new construction, though it
would mean some existing numbers get moved. (For instance, I-80 would
move to follow the present I-74/I-71 route between Rock Island, IA/IL and
the I-76/80 junction in western PA -- a routing that truck drivers
already regard as the "standard" route because it avoids all tolls.)
Similarly, I-70 would follow I-68 to avoid the PA Turnpike, and I-95
could follow I-83/81/84, bypassing New York City (though I-95 is diagonal
and so would be renumbered or broken into several numbers anyway).

> Would a toll bridge be numbered as a toll route?

Same as above. If no non-toll route is available, I would probably leave
the number unchanged.

> In the case of round trip tolls
> would the free direction have a different number than the tolled direction?

No. The whole thing would be considered a toll route.
Old July 17th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Bill Funk

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:18:32 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>John David Galt > said in
>rec.autos.driving:
>
>>I-19 (and US 93 from Las Vegas to Tuscon) should be part of I-15

>There is no US 93 that runs to Tucson.
>
>There's a US 95 that runs from Vegas to Yuma, but it terminates at the
>Mexican border about 250 miles away from Tucson.

US 93 in AZ runs from Wikenburg to the NV line west of Kingman, at
Hoover Dam.
From there, US 93 goes to Canada, at Eureka, MT.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old July 17th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
John David Galt

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> John David Galt > said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>

>>I-19 (and US 93 from Las Vegas to Tuscon) should be part of I-15

> There is no US 93 that runs to Tucson.

Close enough. 93 to Phoenix, then via I-10 to Tuscon.
Old July 20th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
C.O.

I-19 does have mile markers, but they are posted so they face sideways.
When the I-10/I-19 interchange was rebuilt in Tucson, all the markings
were changed between Ajo Way and I-10. The exit numbers are still
metric based, but ADOT wants to eventually convert the highway to a
mileage based system.