Oil pan stick-on engine heaters - provide any warm air through the vents?

Old October 10th 05, 05:19 PM
bryanska

Default Oil pan stick-on engine heaters - provide any warm air through the vents?

Is a stick-on oil pad heater going to give me any HVAC heat, or will it
just heat the oil?

I am considering an engine heater, and have read that frost-plug types
are the best. Easier-to-install Oil pan heaters (pads that stick on to
the pan) will heat the oil, which is a good thing. But I'd like some
heat too, for the interior.

Or course the various types of coolant heaters will provide quicker
heat.

I have read about 100 different threads on engine heaters. I have lots
of info so I don't need a broad view of the different types & reasons
for using them. I just haven't found a thread that tells me if the oil
pan heaters will provide HVAC heat.

Personal experiences?

FYI - I live in Minneapolis and temps dip down to -40, with the average
in Jan & Feb being about -10.

Old October 10th 05, 07:49 PM
C. E. White

"bryanska" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is a stick-on oil pad heater going to give me any HVAC heat, or will it
> just heat the oil?
>
> I am considering an engine heater, and have read that frost-plug types
> are the best. Easier-to-install Oil pan heaters (pads that stick on to
> the pan) will heat the oil, which is a good thing. But I'd like some
> heat too, for the interior.

I installed a block heater (freeze plug type) on an old Ford Fiesta I parked
outside. It worked great, I could hope in the car on the coldest day and hav
heat and defrost imeadiately. I did not really need i here in NC to get the
car started, but it was really nice for the immeadiate warm air. On more a
more recent car, I have gone with a remote start, but all thing considered,
the blcok heater is better.

Ed

Old October 10th 05, 10:36 PM
Hi Ho Silver

In article .net> "C. E. White" > writes:
$ On more a
$more recent car, I have gone with a remote start, but all thing considered,
$the blcok heater is better.

Well, yeah. One reduces wear on the engine, one increases it. One helps
reduce pollution, one helps increase it. One helps the engine start on cold
mornings, one doesn't.
--
..--------------------------------------.
`--------------------------------------' a vaguely phallic .signature
Old October 11th 05, 03:17 PM
Mike Romain

It will heat the oil in the pan but not do much for the engine block
where the coolant is so it is unlikely to help getting defrost 'much'
faster. It will help a little for sure just by having the oil pre
warmed.

I have had to use BBQ briquettes several times to thaw an oil pan after
coming out from winter camping or fishing at -40 and even with the oil
sizzling, it still took a 'long' time to get heat inside the vehicle.

I also hear that the oil pan pads have a tendency to get knocked off
from snow banks and such.

The frost plug one is the best and really isn't that hard to put in.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 11th 05, 07:31 PM
C. E. White

White" > writes:
> $ On more

> $more recent car, I have gone with a remote start, but all thing

considered,
> $the blcok heater is better.
>
> Well, yeah. One reduces wear on the engine, one increases it. One

helps
> reduce pollution, one helps increase it. One helps the engine start on

cold
> mornings, one doesn't.

Good points, except the electricity used to power the block heater is not
free. I think mine was a 400 watt job. A couple of hours was enough to get
everything warm on the coldest NC nights. So we are talking about 800 k-w a
night to heat the water. Idling the engine for 10 minutes would accomplish
the same thing. It might be interestig to compare the actual costs.

Ed

Old October 13th 05, 06:06 AM
Raymond J. Henry

On 10 Oct 2005 09:19:19 -0700, "bryanska" >
wrote:

>Is a stick-on oil pad heater going to give me any HVAC heat, or will it
>just heat the oil?
>
>I am considering an engine heater, and have read that frost-plug types
>are the best. Easier-to-install Oil pan heaters (pads that stick on to
>the pan) will heat the oil, which is a good thing. But I'd like some
>heat too, for the interior.
>
>Or course the various types of coolant heaters will provide quicker
>heat.
>
>I have read about 100 different threads on engine heaters. I have lots
>of info so I don't need a broad view of the different types & reasons
>for using them. I just haven't found a thread that tells me if the oil
>pan heaters will provide HVAC heat.
>
>Personal experiences?
>
>FYI - I live in Minneapolis and temps dip down to -40, with the average
>in Jan & Feb being about -10.

Best one for the job is a recirculating heater in the lower rad hose
or in a heater hose.

I'm in Winnipeg, I know what those -40 mornings are all about....

Old October 16th 05, 03:17 AM
Dave

Raymond J. Henry wrote:

>>FYI - I live in Minneapolis and temps dip down to -40, with the average
>>in Jan & Feb being about -10.

Just to set the record straight (though it is cold in Mpls. in the
winter!), the average January temps here over the past five or six years
have been in the range of +11 to +24, not -10. Of course one can't
discount the windchill factor...

Dave
Old October 18th 05, 03:16 AM

Synthetic is the most obvious solution.