Fuel rail on '93 falling apart

Old June 20th 09, 08:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JimH[_3_]

Default Fuel rail on '93 falling apart

My '93 was running very poorly. I took it to my service guy who
diagnosed a clogged fuel injector. He cleaned it, and the car ran well
again for one day. I took it back in, and he saw that there was crud on
the intake for the injector. He then saw that the fuel line was filled
with a hard material like sand. He removed the fuel rail, and cleaned it
out. He also replaced the one injector. That took care of all the
performance problem, and the car is running better than ever.

Since returning home, I have been getting a strong gasoline aroma in the
garage, and now when driving. To be honest, the smell was there in the
garage for a while, whenever I brought the car home from driving it.

He has now decided that the fuel rail has become porous, and that is
causing the smell. I'm guessing that the crud hew removed was actually
the rail material that became loose inside. I'm waiting for a
replacement fuel rail, but it is stuck in a storm in Tennessee.

Has anyone run into this before? I've never heard of a problem like
this. I'm wondering if I should replace the rail on the other side of
the engine. Any comments or suggestions?

--
Jim
Old June 20th 09, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"JimH" > wrote in message

> Has anyone run into this before? I've never heard of a problem like
> this. I'm wondering if I should replace the rail on the other side of
> the engine. Any comments or suggestions?

I'm an outboard mechanic that happens to own a Vette, I'm having trouble
with the alcohol in todays gas causing fuel line troubles in older boats.

I know you don't have the same problem - but in general - when I replace 1
anything - I replace it's brother to avoid the same trouble next month. So
I'd replace the other rail were it mine.

-W

Old June 20th 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Speaker of the Truth" > wrote in message
> .............I'm guessing that the crud hew removed was actually
> the rail material that became loose inside...........
>

> I bet Toyota and Honda don't make their fuel rails to erode like that.
> Then
> you wonder why GM is going out of business. Sadly you can add this case to
> the list of GM Screw Ups brought to you by beancounters.

He hasn't said how many miles he has on this car, or what kind of usage it
has seen over 16 years.

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

* - putting new C6-style rims on her on Monday

Old June 20th 09, 10:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Mumbler of the Opinion wrote:
> .............I'm guessing that the crud hew removed was actually
> the rail material that became loose inside...........
>

> I bet Toyota and Honda don't make their fuel rails to erode like that.

GM didn't make them to do it either. Any particular reason you bother to
read and post to this group?
Old June 20th 09, 10:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Mark Jones

Speaker of the Truth wrote:
> .............I'm guessing that the crud hew removed was actually
> the rail material that became loose inside...........
>

> I bet Toyota and Honda don't make their fuel rails to erode like
> that. Then you wonder why GM is going out of business. Sadly you can
> add this case to the list of GM Screw Ups brought to you by
> beancounters.

What a retard. You are finding fault because a part failed after
16 years of exposure to gasoline and moisture. This does not
count as a screw up at all.

Old June 21st 09, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Speaker of the Truth[_3_]

Because I love my 61 Corvette and can't believe why GM has done to America
what is has done the last 30 years. Especially Roger Smith.

Old June 21st 09, 01:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Speaker of the Truth[_3_]

My friend's 94 Honda Accord has 550,000 miles on it and never had the fuel
rails errod. But then they don't allow beancounters and Honda to tell them
how to make the fuel rails.

Old June 21st 09, 01:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad

"Speaker of the Truth" > wrote in message
> My friend's 94 Honda Accord has 550,000 miles on it and never had the fuel
> rails errod. But then they don't allow beancounters and Honda to tell them
> how to make the fuel rails.

My stock '50 Chevy coupe has 673,921.4 miles on it and has never had
breather oil changed or the fuel rail changed. The pool boy's step mothers
boy friends lover has a 4 yard '55 Chevy dump truck with 2,000,002 miles on
it and the motor has never been shut off. Followed your friend's Honda one
day but had to pass it on a hill so he wouldn't have to slow down.

Ever think that his '93 may have set for some extended length of times and
has had moisture in the fuel rails?

Your turn...................

Old June 21st 09, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Speaker of the Truth" > wrote in
> message ...
>> My friend's 94 Honda Accord has 550,000 miles on it and never had the
>> fuel
>> rails errod. But then they don't allow beancounters and Honda to tell
>> them
>> how to make the fuel rails.
>>

> My stock '50 Chevy coupe has 673,921.4 miles on it and has never had
> breather oil changed or the fuel rail changed. The pool boy's step mothers
> boy friends lover has a 4 yard '55 Chevy dump truck with 2,000,002 miles
> on it and the motor has never been shut off. Followed your friend's Honda
> one day but had to pass it on a hill so he wouldn't have to slow down.
>
> Ever think that his '93 may have set for some extended length of times and
> has had moisture in the fuel rails?

50 Chevy --- fuel rail? Thought the blue flame six had a single throat
carburetor with the mechanical fuel pump. At least that's how I remember
that engine from the 50s.