Creating a thread on a metal post?

Old June 3rd 05, 01:46 AM

Default Creating a thread on a metal post?

So this is random, but Im scratching my head... trying to find a way to
mount a little mustang badge on my grille, the badge has little metal posts
that arent quite long enough to reach..

Is there something that will put a thread on them so I can put on a nut and
a bracket? I.E. the oposite of drilling and tapping a hole, can i thread a
blank post somehow?

If not, what can I use to bond chromed metal (permanently enough that some
kid wont yank it off)

Old June 3rd 05, 02:13 AM
Dinsdale

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:46:22 -0400, <japhar> wrote:

>So this is random, but Im scratching my head... trying to find a way to
>mount a little mustang badge on my grille, the badge has little metal posts
>that arent quite long enough to reach..
>
>Is there something that will put a thread on them so I can put on a nut and
>a bracket? I.E. the oposite of drilling and tapping a hole, can i thread a
>blank post somehow?
>
>If not, what can I use to bond chromed metal (permanently enough that some
>kid wont yank it off)

You need a die...as in "tap and die set"

However, since those emblems are fairly soft metal, and the post
diameter small, a die might not work.

I've see some emblems held on with a stamped-steel, self-tapping nut
similar to those pictured on this site:
http://www.boltproducts.com/tinnerma...peed-nuts.html
(look a the 'Palnut' models)

DP
Pics of the cars:
http://tinyurl.com/d2q9u
Old June 3rd 05, 02:30 AM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:46:22 -0400, <japhar> wrote:

>So this is random, but Im scratching my head... trying to find a way to
>mount a little mustang badge on my grille, the badge has little metal posts
>that arent quite long enough to reach..

stop scratching we have enough dandruff ya sand nig
its dirty under that turbin
>Is there something that will put a thread on them so I can put on a nut and
>a bracket? I.E. the oposite of drilling and tapping a hole, can i thread a
>blank post somehow?

i bet you shoot blanks ya tard
>If not, what can I use to bond chromed metal (permanently enough that some
>kid wont yank it off)

have them removable
the kids will get your paint unless they get them off

ya foctard

Old June 3rd 05, 03:37 AM
SVTKate

What kind of grille do you have?

I have a billet gille on mine.
I put a Cobra emblem in the middle of it.
I used Automotive two sided tape, just like they use to attach the side
emblems, it has held for several years, no problem.
You clean the back really well with alcohol, let it dry.
Over apply it, cut the excess off with a razor blade so that it it trimmed
nicely around the edges of the emblem and stick it on.

BUT my grille IS metal.

The posts are very soft, if you try to thread one, you may have it break
off.
You MIGHT be able to use something like JB weld (or some sort of really good
glue) screws to the back of the emblem
or something like that if the back of the emblem is hollow

Old June 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
.boB

japhar wrote:
> So this is random, but Im scratching my head... trying to find a way to
> mount a little mustang badge on my grille, the badge has little metal posts
> that arent quite long enough to reach..
>
> Is there something that will put a thread on them so I can put on a nut and
> a bracket? I.E. the oposite of drilling and tapping a hole, can i thread a
> blank post somehow?
>
> If not, what can I use to bond chromed metal (permanently enough that some
> kid wont yank it off)

Get a piece of tubing that fit's over the posts, and extends past the post ends
about 1/4". Get a screw (like #10), that is the same diameter as the post, and cut
the head off. The screw should fit in the tube, and the tube should fit over the end
of the post. Use JB Weld to hold it all together. I would even dril a couple of
transverse holes in the tube to allow the JB Weld to spooge out and make a stronger
bond and prevent air pockets.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old June 3rd 05, 01:15 PM
SVTKate

Ohhh Bobby!
You much smart boy!!!

. com...

Old June 3rd 05, 07:29 PM

Hm, worth a look, thanks!

Old June 3rd 05, 07:31 PM

The grille is billet..

I was going to use tape, except the damn badge is hollow, and has a ton of
curves. JB weld is what the guy said to use, but im not wild about using
superglue on my baby.

link.net...

Old June 3rd 05, 07:32 PM

Damn, thats a really good idea.

. com...

Old June 4th 05, 02:32 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

> ".boB" > wrote in message
>> Get a piece of tubing that fit's over the posts, and extends past the
>>post ends about 1/4". Get a screw (like #10), that is the same diameter
>>as the post, and cut the head off. The screw should fit in the tube, and
>>the tube should fit over the end of the post. Use JB Weld to hold it all
>>together. I would even dril a couple of transverse holes in the tube to
>>allow the JB Weld to spooge out and make a stronger bond and prevent air
>>pockets.

Hhhhhuh, huhuhuh hhuuh huhh he thaid "spooge", huh huhuhuh....

--
3am is _never_ a good hour for a summoning - a moment of lost
concentration and you've got Nader instead of Nyarlathotep.

Amphetamines are not a good idea either: unsafe at any speed. - Cadbury
Moose