Replace catalytic converter?

Old March 2nd 05, 11:22 PM
Matthew

Default Replace catalytic converter?

I own a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van with 135,000 miles that has
recently been making a grinding noise. Upon review, my mechanic found the
noises were due to two unrelated problems: the transmission and the
catalytic converter. I am having the transmission rebuilt, so my question is
about the catalytic converter. Assuming the vehicle passes state (Texas)
emmissions standards, is there any reason to replace the catalytic
converter?

Old March 3rd 05, 12:02 AM
Mike Walsh

If there is a rattling noise from a honeycomb catalytic converter there is a good chance that it will crumble and clog up. If a tray with pellets type converter rattles it is usually just a loose tray and it will work OK.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old March 3rd 05, 01:18 AM
Kruse

Mike Walsh wrote:
> If there is a rattling noise from a honeycomb catalytic converter

there is a good chance that it will crumble and clog up. If a tray with
pellets type converter rattles it is usually just a loose tray and it
will work OK.

If this was 1975 I could name a few, but what automaker still put
pellets in the catalytic converter?

Old March 3rd 05, 01:23 AM
JazzMan

Kruse wrote:

> Mike Walsh wrote:
> > If there is a rattling noise from a honeycomb catalytic converter

> there is a good chance that it will crumble and clog up. If a tray with
> pellets type converter rattles it is usually just a loose tray and it
> will work OK.
> >

> If this was 1975 I could name a few, but what automaker still put
> pellets in the catalytic converter?

My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old March 3rd 05, 01:43 AM
Kruse

JazzMan wrote:
> Kruse wrote:
> >

> My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.
>
> JazzMan
> --

Hmmm.... Due to efficiency, I thought they had switched to the
honeycomb long ago. I learned something new!!

Old March 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Nate Nagel

Kruse wrote:

> JazzMan wrote:
>
>>Kruse wrote:
>>

>>My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.
>>
>>JazzMan
>>--

> Hmmm.... Due to efficiency, I thought they had switched to the
> honeycomb long ago. I learned something new!!

It's all relative. 1988 *was* 17 years ago, but please don't say that's
a long time in front of my car, I don't want it to start thinking it's
got an excuse to be finicky

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 3rd 05, 01:58 AM
Kruse

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Kruse wrote:
>
> > JazzMan wrote:
> >
> >>Kruse wrote:
> >>

> >>My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.
> >>
> >>JazzMan
> >>--

> > Hmmm.... Due to efficiency, I thought they had switched to the
> > honeycomb long ago. I learned something new!!
> >

> It's all relative. 1988 *was* 17 years ago, but please don't say

that's
> a long time in front of my car, I don't want it to start thinking

it's
> got an excuse to be finicky
>
> nate
>
> --

Well, a pelleted converter in '88 I can believe. The original post was
for a 1997 vehicle which wasn't ALL that long ago, so I was curious if
one was available in 1997. Anyway, 1988 did surprise me because I
thought they had switched long before that. Like I said, I learned
something new today.
I do remember when a lot of vehicled were switching to the honeycomb
because they were more touted as being more efficient. Maybe GM just
didn't want to admit it.....
Anyway, 'nuff said from my point of view.

Old March 3rd 05, 04:45 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, JazzMan wrote:

> My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.

That is highly doubtful. Are you *quite* sure? How do you know?
Old March 3rd 05, 05:19 AM
JazzMan

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, JazzMan wrote:
>
> > My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.

> That is highly doubtful. Are you *quite* sure? How do you know?

Because I cut the original, plugged up catalyst off three
years back and replaced it with a monolith.

Old March 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, JazzMan wrote:

> > > My '88 Pontiac had a bead-bed catalyst originally.

> > That is highly doubtful. Are you *quite* sure? How do you know?

> Because I cut the original, plugged up catalyst off three years back and
> replaced it with a monolith.

Interesting. What model (and engine, etc.) is your '88 Pontiac?