93 GC 3.3 Plugs

Old July 15th 05, 07:37 PM
Len G

Default 93 GC 3.3 Plugs

Ok first off thanks for the info on the computer code readers but they
went way higher than I was able to pay so I will not be purchasing one
of them.

Now my van is going into the shop to have the tranny pulled and
repaired, I bought this thing with 153,000Km on it but found out later
that it had over 300,000Km on it and we have put almost 100,000Km on
it since we bought it. When we got that van I bought 6 bosch platinum
plugs for it and installed the front 3, tried to take the intake off
for the back 3 as my hands and arms are just to big to fit in there
and the plug wires were on so tight so the other 3 sat in the back of
the van. Well about 2 years ago someone stole the van and the 3 plugs.
I never had it anywhere long enough where someone could change them
from underneath.
Well since the tranny is gonna be out I figure this is the perfect
time to change them. I have not looked at the front 3 since last year
but when I have looked at them they were fine.
Problem here is I keep hearing people say these plugs are junk, yet
this is the 3rd vehicle I have had them in.
First one was a Buick lesabre 3.8 liter and I put 2 sets in it, first
set was about a year or so old when it started running bad and I was
told dirty injectors, car wouldn't go over 120KPH well it got bad
enough trouble codes where getting set as too lean and top speed was
80KPH.
Mechanic at work said bring it over and we will run some really good
cleaner through it, so we did, discoded the fuel system and ran this
stuff with the engine running it was tuff getting it to run but it
ran. He then said I needed to change the plugs even though I had the
good ones in it so I got a new set, the ones I took out looked
virtually identical to what I put in.
Used them again in mercury sable 3.8 liter again never had any
problems with them.

So my question is are these things that bad? Should I use them in the
back of my 3.3 dodge? Should I use something else? I don't want to
have to change these things for a long time if I can help it.

I figure since its going to have the tranny out it would be a great
time for me to pop over there and change them or to have them change
them for me as access should be easy with the tranny out?

Thanks

Old July 15th 05, 08:18 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Len G wrote:

> When we got that van I bought 6 bosch platinum plugs for it

Poor choice of spark plugs. Bosch plugs are almost as bad as Bosch
aftermarket O2 sensors.

NGKs, Autolites, or even Champions would be better than Bosch.

> Problem here is I keep hearing people say these plugs are junk, yet this
> is the 3rd vehicle I have had them in.

So this is the 3rd vehicle you've overpaid for junk spark plugs
for...what's your point?

> So my question is are these things that bad?

Yes.

> Should I use them in the back of my 3.3 dodge?

No.

> Should I use something else?

Yes.

> I don't want to have to change these things for a long time if I can
> help it.

Then start out with good plugs. NGK's ordinary V-power ones (GR45 for your
vehicle) work great; if you gotta, just gotta spend more money on spark
plugs, NGK makes an excellent platinum (GR45GP for you). Should be able to
snag the Platinums for $2.30/plug or so, regular V-powers for less. Gap
them correctly (0.060").

Old July 17th 05, 04:29 AM
KS

At one point I had to have a Dodge truck towed into the dealer for service
and their repair was to replace my bosch platinum plugs with champion and
drive it home!
Wasn't a smart way to spend a couple hundred bucks!

KS

n.umich.edu...

Old July 17th 05, 03:40 PM
Len G

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:18:02 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Len G wrote:
>
>> When we got that van I bought 6 bosch platinum plugs for it

>Poor choice of spark plugs. Bosch plugs are almost as bad as Bosch
>aftermarket O2 sensors.
>
>NGKs, Autolites, or even Champions would be better than Bosch.
>
>> Problem here is I keep hearing people say these plugs are junk, yet this
>> is the 3rd vehicle I have had them in.

>So this is the 3rd vehicle you've overpaid for junk spark plugs
>for...what's your point?

Point is in those vehicle's I never had a problem with them at all and
the 3 in here now don't seem to be a problem either.

>> So my question is are these things that bad?

>Yes.
>
>> Should I use them in the back of my 3.3 dodge?

>No.
>
>> Should I use something else?

>Yes.
>
>> I don't want to have to change these things for a long time if I can
>> help it.

>Then start out with good plugs. NGK's ordinary V-power ones (GR45 for your
>vehicle) work great; if you gotta, just gotta spend more money on spark
>plugs, NGK makes an excellent platinum (GR45GP for you). Should be able to
>snag the Platinums for $2.30/plug or so, regular V-powers for less. Gap
>them correctly (0.060").

Well guess I will look for some NGK's then, I hope Canadian tire has
them as that's the only place open today here that I can actually
drive to.

Thanks for the info.
Old July 17th 05, 08:22 PM
Len G

Well I went to the only place open today that I can drive to with no
3rd and locked in 2nd and they had the GR45GP but no GR45, the
paperwork there listed the BPR5EY for my van.