slowing down wiper speed

Old June 16th 05, 11:50 PM
ant

Default slowing down wiper speed

i have a 93 escort and would like to be able to better modulate the
wiper speed. does anyone know if it is a variable resistor that changes
wiper speed? if so, could i put another one inline, mounted in the
dash? if not, is there any other easy solution?

anthony

Old June 17th 05, 12:58 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, ant wrote:

> i have a 93 escort and would like to be able to better modulate the
> wiper speed. does anyone know if it is a variable resistor that changes
> wiper speed? if so, could i put another one inline, mounted in the dash?
> if not, is there any other easy solution?

Don't fix the alternator when it goes up in flames on your Ford. Sooner
than later, the battery will be sufficiently weak that the wipers will go
nice 'n' slow.
Old June 17th 05, 01:03 AM
John S.

Does it have two speeds now?

Old June 17th 05, 05:01 AM
ant

John S. wrote:
> Does it have two speeds now?

um, i think it has more than two. i think it has three, off the top of
my head.

stern wrote:

Don't fix the alternator when it goes up in flames on your Ford. Sooner
than later, the battery will be sufficiently weak that the wipers will
go
nice 'n' slow.

my alternator sends 14.8 volts. and my battery seems nice and charged,
voltage wise. no idea on the alternator history, but the battery is a
few months old.

anyways, slow wipers is not the problem. in fact, i suppose i would
like them slower. i never use my fastest setting, but constantly find
the slowest setting is not slow enough.

anyways, i like my ford. i bought it for 1000 bucks, and put 35k on it
at 40mpg on the highway, for around a cumulative 1000 bucks in parts
over two years.

thats hard to beat these days.

anthony

Old June 17th 05, 04:02 PM
John S.

My guess is that it could be done with some sort of a timer circuit
that interrupts one of the normal speeds. You wouldn't want to put a
pot in series with the motor though.

I have read of after-market intermittent speed kits for Ford Focus
cars. You might check with a local auto parts house.

Old June 17th 05, 06:40 PM
ant

John S. wrote:
> My guess is that it could be done with some sort of a timer circuit
> that interrupts one of the normal speeds. You wouldn't want to put a
> pot in series with the motor though.
>
> I have read of after-market intermittent speed kits for Ford Focus
> cars. You might check with a local auto parts house.

i didnt mean in series with the motor, i meant in series with the speed
selection switch. however, that is clearly only an option if the switch
is actually a 'pot', as you say.

anyways, the aftermarket option seems to hint that its a little more
complex. i guess ill have to either dig up some diagrams, or keep
hitting the one-shot-wipe lever every once in a while.

could be worse, its just so damn rainy these days in new england.
anthony