Dodge Stealth engine shudders when under a load.

Old July 17th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KYHighlander

Default Dodge Stealth engine shudders when under a load.

LOL I love the car, really. But I am getting to darned old to get in and out
of it without pain. LOL bought it when I was in my early 30's but am almost
49 now. I'm waiting a few more years to sell. You see very few of these on
the road any more, so I think they may get to a classic statis some day.

KY

news

Old July 17th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KYHighlander

Ok just changed the air filter and that wasn't it. Taking it to get new
plugs and plug wires tomorrow. Seems like after 10 years or so the plug
wires tend to go bad in my experience. I put 2 bottles of Lucas fuel
treatment in the tank for the injectors and that hasn't helped. I know what
the EGR is I had one on my '71 Torino GT growing up and had to replace that
myself. Haven't fooled with an engine since those days. What the heck is a
AIS? LOL

Was going to drive it to work this morning but it was much worse than it was
yesterday. Don't know if it was the damp morning air or what, got half way
to work and turned around and came back to get the truck. Darn truck is a
gas guzzler.

KY

. net...

Old July 17th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

My 1991 is the first model year that was made. Just turned 137K miles and
so far, other than normal maintenance, several sets of tires, a window
regulator, and an alternator at about 80K miles, everything is still working
fine. It has some dings here and there and scratches in the windshield, but
otherwise has no rust and looks like new. Not bad since the car is now 17
years old! By the way, I'm the same age and getting in and out is not as
much fun, but once behind the wheel you forget the trouble it took to get
there.

Old July 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Plugs are expensive on this vehicle so be prepared to take a home equity
loan!

If I recall last tune up I did the NGK platinum (60K mile) plugs cost me $11
or $12 each over the Internet. And to get to the back three plugs/wires
requires removal of the intake manifold so is not a "simple" tune up. But,
the most difficult maintenance item has to be the timing belt and water pump
.... these are scheduled to be done every 60K miles too. Good luck

Old July 17th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KYHighlander

Did the timing belt a while back. that ran me $300. LOL $1200 that trip. had
some other stuff that was bad. May sell it after I get it running right. LOL

. net...

Old July 17th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KYHighlander

LOL yep and my name is Bob too. LOL

Mine is the pearl white that Dodge did that first year. Actually has crushed
pearl in the paint. And it still looks like new, 58k miles and a couple
chips in the paint about the size of a pin head but no dings. I do need to
replace the window tint on the drivers side and there is a small cut in the
drivers seat that my gun caused. But after I washed it this weekend I was
amazed at how new it still looked.

KY

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
et...
> My 1991 is the first model year that was made. Just turned 137K miles and
> so far, other than normal maintenance, several sets of tires, a window
> regulator, and an alternator at about 80K miles, everything is still
> working fine. It has some dings here and there and scratches in the
> windshield, but otherwise has no rust and looks like new. Not bad since
> the car is now 17 years old! By the way, I'm the same age and getting in
> and out is not as much fun, but once behind the wheel you forget the
> trouble it took to get there.
>
> Bob
>
> "KYHighlander" > wrote in message
>> LOL I love the car, really. But I am getting to darned old to get in and
>> out of it without pain. LOL bought it when I was in my early 30's but am
>> almost 49 now. I'm waiting a few more years to sell. You see very few of
>> these on the road any more, so I think they may get to a classic statis
>> some day.
>>
>> KY
>>
>> "Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I had a '93 Stealth and really enjoyed it. I decided to sell mine when
>>> we moved to a different state (pesky IRS).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I don't think your problem is repairable. Your best bet is
>>> to sell it to me.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gyz
>>>
>>> 07 Saturn Sky
>>> 98 Dodge Status ES
>>> 94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Old July 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

My '91 is pearl white as well. It burns some oil and the upper valve train
sounds terrible till it gets warmed up, but it still runs pretty well. I am
considering rebuilding the engine and transmission, replacing the shocks and
the scratched windshield in a couple years down the road.

By the way, my red leather interior looks great except for the small cut in
my drivers seat. This car originally came from CA via NV so lived most of
its life in the dry desert. I only drive it in the summer and then put it
into storage. That is why it is still in good shape even though I live in
the rust belt.

Old July 18th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

KYHighlander wrote:

> thanks. I appreciate it.
>
> there hasn't been a check engine light go off though.
>
> KY

If the problem is strictly on the secondary (high voltage) side of the
coils (ie a bad plug or wire) a pre- OBDII engine controller won't
always detect it. Also, you CAN have internally set error codes that
won't always trip a CEL, especially on pre- OBDII cars. And there are
intermittent faults that might set a CEL, then it will go off on the
next engine start but the code will be held in memory. Its always a good
idea to start by checking codes. For the most part I'm a fan of older
cars, but one thing I will credit newer computer-controlled cars with:
they can tell you where it hurts a lot better than a set of breaker
points and a carburetor!

Old July 18th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bob Shuman wrote:

> My '91 is pearl white as well. It burns some oil and the upper valve train
> sounds terrible till it gets warmed up, but it still runs pretty well. I am
> considering rebuilding the engine and transmission, replacing the shocks and
> the scratched windshield in a couple years down the road.

"Oil consumption" and "Mitsubishi" go hand in hand. But those v6s will
keep running and running and running forever, even with the oil
consumption. Provided you don't let 'em run dry, anyway.

Gotta confess- I LOVED the look of the Stealth when it came out (still
do, actually) but I developed such a strong allergy to Mitsubishi
powertrains that it wasn't even close to an option for me. Now if only a
Chrysler 3.5 HO would fit in the hole..... :-) But alas, its a
different bellhousing pattern and it only gets worse when you start
considering width, accessory placement, manifolding, etc. :-/

Old July 18th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KYHighlander

would be nice to have a interface and software to hook up a laptop to the
car and read those codes.

KY

"Steve" > wrote in message
> KYHighlander wrote:
>
>> thanks. I appreciate it.
>>
>> there hasn't been a check engine light go off though.
>>
>> KY

> If the problem is strictly on the secondary (high voltage) side of the
> coils (ie a bad plug or wire) a pre- OBDII engine controller won't always
> detect it. Also, you CAN have internally set error codes that won't
> always trip a CEL, especially on pre- OBDII cars. And there are
> intermittent faults that might set a CEL, then it will go off on the next
> engine start but the code will be held in memory. Its always a good idea
> to start by checking codes. For the most part I'm a fan of older cars, but
> one thing I will credit newer computer-controlled cars with: they can tell
> you where it hurts a lot better than a set of breaker points and a
> carburetor!

How slowly can your engine idle stably ( w-o load / rocking ) ? TE Chea Technology 4 March 20th 07 11:31 PM
Dodge Stealth 92 information on car nadine langston Dodge 0 December 26th 05 01:15 AM
98 Tahoe -- "Shudders under load" Steve Cox 4x4 4 August 19th 05 06:20 AM
92 dodge stealth 92dodgestealth Dodge 4 May 30th 05 02:16 AM
91 Dodge Stealth ES Transmission... SeXy Bl0nDe BiTcH Dodge 0 January 3rd 05 11:10 PM