Philips calls for a simple switch to reduce energy consumption

Old July 15th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Henry Bemis

Default Philips calls for a simple switch to reduce energy consumption

> IMO the GW activists are a con promoted by big business which hopes to profit
> from this GW scare.

While they are using that pointer in one hand, going all over the globe,
pointing out the 'clues' to further this stupid agenda, watch closely where the
other hand is. Usually, it's in your pocket.

'Why if we throw money at it, it'll go away!'

Then we'll end up with mercury reclamation programs because people won't pay to
throw them away. When you toss an incandescent, it get's ground up into sand and
a bit of aluminum. Toss one of these green bulbs and mercury is released that
can get into the water.

Old July 16th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Art[_1_]

Bill,
You responded as if Ted was attacking greenies. Unless Exxon has joined the
green movement your interpretation of his post is incorrect.

Art

Old July 16th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Art[_1_]

As far as cow farts are concerned, I believe that the issue is that they
consist mostly of methane which contributes much more to global warming than
carbon dioxide.

The part of global warming that concerns me is the amount of vegetation
under the ice caps. Millions of years of dead vegetation has been kept
refrigerated by the ice caps. Once that begins to thaw and decompose
producing carbon dioxide, slowing down the natural production of carbon
dioxide will be pretty much impossible.

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> About 8,000 yrs ago Churchill. Ma emerged from the ice sheet. The land
>> at Churchill is rising in relation to the rising ocean about 1 meter per
>> 100 years, based on boat cleats in the shore rock from the 1770s.
>> The Canadian permafrost line still is far south of Churchill.
>>
>> Canada's Baffin Island in the far north had the climate of the Carolinas
>> not that long ago geologically; based on the remains of swamp cyprus
>> found there.
>>
>> >How much of what they're now charting is directly
>> > attributable to mankind is still debateable--to me.

>> That's the big question, but our ever increasing population of energy
>> users will have a impact. IMO we should minimize our impact.
>>
>> >Of course, we
>> > exhale "greenhouse gases" as a normal situation, not to forget about
>> > "methane" expulsion, too.

>> Cows are much worse than us.
>> Swamps are very bad. At some swamps you can see the methane bubbling up
>> to the surface. There is low delta land near my house where you can
>> smell the methane on a still summer night.
>> Swamps we need, but cows and people should be reduced to reduce
>> pollution. <
>>

> Swamps make methane from rotting plant material. Plants grow very
> well in swamps when lots of pollution comes into the swamp, carrying
> high mineral and chemical content.
>
> Keep in mind though you can almost completely dismiss all biological
> sources of carbon emissions. Where do cows get the carbon they emit
> in farts? From plants. Where do plants get it? From carbon dioxide in
> the air. It's a nice little cycle that doesen't put any more carbon into
> the atmosphere than what it takes out.
>
> The only real sources of carbon that we need to care about are
> those from oil and coal and natural gas. Because, what happened is
> that the carbon in those materials was put into them millions of
> years ago when the plants took it out of the atmosphere.
>
> What people who cite the existence of things like "ancient swamp
> cypress" as proof that the earth was warmer a long time ago don't
> seem to understand is that they are merely solidifying the proof of
> the global warming hypothesis, even then they think they are
> detracting from it. The reason is that the carbon we are worrying
> about putting into the atmosphere now from fossil fuels and such
> had to come from somewhere. Since those fuels came from plants
> the plants had to get it from somewhere. So they got it from the
> ancient atmospheres. What this proves is that if the earth was warmer
> in the past, as the detractors claim it was, then since all that extra
> carbon was present then, it is likely that it did in fact make the ancient
> earth warmer. As plant growth accellerated in the warmer periods it
> pulled that carbon out of the atmosphere, allowing the earth to cool
> to current temperatures. As carbon levels went down plant growth
> had less carbon dioxide and the earth got cooler and plant growth

Idea to reduce Drunk Driving Arved Sandstrom Driving 10 March 21st 07 03:15 PM
Idea to reduce Drunk Driving David Johnston Driving 0 March 21st 07 02:31 AM
Conserve Energy robs440 Dodge 6 May 11th 06 03:21 AM
energy conserving oil Henry Markov Technology 17 August 10th 05 05:47 AM